• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good Reason to carry, Fresno Student Shot, Killed by Police Officer After Bat Attack

This is against a LEO, I just wonder what would have happened if he attacked an unarmed civilian. Good Reason to carry a back up as well.

FRESNO, Calif. — A police officer shot and killed a 17-year-old high school student Wednesday after authorities said the teenager clubbed the officer with a baseball bat on the crowded, urban campus.
The officer fired at the student shortly before noon, after the Roosevelt High School sophomore allegedly came from behind and struck the officer in the head with a wooden baseball bat, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
The officer fell down dazed, and reached for the gun in his hip holster, but the clip fell out.
As the student came at him a second time, the officer grabbed a secondary weapon — a semiautomatic handgun — from his ankle holster and fired one or two rounds, Dyer said. The student reportedly died within a few minutes.
"The officer was fortunate that he was able to defend himself," the chief said.
The cause of the attack was not immediately known, and the officer did not know the student, Dyer said. There was no history of prior run-ins between the teen and the officer, who has been assigned to the school by the police department for the last three years, he said.
Police did not immediately release the identities of the officer or student, who was described as a Fresno resident who recently transferred to the school. The teenager was 6 feet tall and 250 pounds — larger than the officer, authorities said.
The officer was released from a local hospital Wednesday afternoon after being treated for a two-inch gash on the right side of his head, police said. He will be placed on administrative leave while the department reviews his conduct, Dyer said.
At least five students and a probation officer on campus witnessed the incident directly, but no one else was injured in the shooting, police said.
The campus was locked down for several hours as detectives combed the white school buildings and interviewed witnesses.
"The school district obviously is very saddened by this tragedy on campus, however our students on campus are safe," said Ruth Quinto, acting superintendent of Fresno Unified School District. "There certainly will continue to be support provided to all of our students here on the campus and, in particular, any witnesses to this tragedy."
By 2 p.m., students were allowed to leave the campus gates, where they found a crowd of anxious parents and family members waiting.
Dana Vasquez, a 14-year-old freshman, was on her way to physical education class when the situation erupted in an outdoor hallway between two classrooms.
"I just saw a bat swinging in the air and heard a gunshot and then I just started running," Vasquez said. She was visibly shaken when she left the school holding her mother's arm.
Ray Mendez, a volunteer at the school, said he was speaking to a remedial English class when he heard a loud popping sound outside the classroom.
"That's went I went down and saw the young man lying there and the officer was bleeding from his head. This was a real shocker. We try to prevent these kind of events at all costs," Mendez said.
Silvia Carrillo, whose daughter is a sophomore at Roosevelt High, said the shooting did not seem justified.
"My son and my brother went to school here too, and nothing like this ever happened. I think this wasn't enough for him to kill the kid," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351502,00.html

So a magazine disconnect safety as required by MA AG regs nearly costs an officer his life?

Silvia Carrillo, whose daughter is a sophomore at Roosevelt High, said the shooting did not seem justified.
"My son and my brother went to school here too, and nothing like this ever happened. I think this wasn't enough for him to kill the kid," she said.

Wow! I can hear the kid now, I was only gonna hit him once.
How many whacks to the head with a bat can a person take?
I hear people say ankle holsters are useless, I guess not.

"The school district obviously is very saddened by this tragedy on campus, however our students on campus are safe," said Ruth Quinto, acting superintendent of Fresno Unified School District.

Uh, why does she think all their students on campus are safe?

Hell, not too long ago a police officer on their campus wasn't even safe, in all likelyhood only a backup weapon away from being beaten to death. What is it that they have that makes all the other students so safe when a police officer wasn't?

TSTL To Stupid To Live

At least five students and a probation officer on campus witnessed the incident directly, but no one else was injured in the shooting, police said.

It probably shouldn't surprise me one bit that there's a probation officer on campus, should it?

So a magazine disconnect safety as required by MA AG regs nearly costs an officer his life?

I wouldn't make any conclusions based on a newspaper report. Or maybe your experience with the media is different than mine.

Gary

Anyone else willing to be judged by twelve? Twelve morons like her?

I'll take my chances with the judge.

Whats wrong with the kids?

I want to know WTF is up with these kids? You see it all over the place now beatings and violence. Yeah I know the internet has a lot to do with it, instant info, being cool?? On you tube, myspace etc. etc. meh Where are the parents? WTF????

[sad2]

I want to know WTF is up with these kids? You see it all over the place now beatings and violence. Yeah I know the internet has a lot to do with it, instant info, being cool?? On you tube, myspace etc. etc. meh Where are the parents? WTF????

[sad2]

It's easy to blame computer games, the Internet, TV, or whatever. The truth is that it's the result of bad parenting. Very rarely do these incidents involve kids from stable two parent families. No doubt this kid was familiar with the juvenile justice system and social services. Schools, cops, courts, social services won't do any good if there isn't a strong family component at the center of it all.

Gary

[sad2]
Smokin' crack, or weed, or drinking themselves blind, or to damn busy chasing some bs thing that should have been deferred till they were done raising the child they were probably to stupid to have in the first place!

exactly

Smokin' crack, or weed, or drinking themselves blind, or to damn busy chasing some bs thing that should have been deferred till they were done raising the child they were probably to stupid to have in the first place!

There is no license requirement to have and raise a child. But we have to go through the ringer to defend ourselves against them. (Bad Humans sit! stay!) [rules]

If this isn't enough, what would she say is?

I'm writing my legislator to support initiative 90129, which states that "no person, LEO or otherwise, will fire at another individual (attacker) unless the attackee is killed. At which point the said "attackee" may use a firearm if the aforementioned "attackee" has come back to life as a zombi.

Baseball bat to the head? Shake it offf[rolleyes] Call the police.... whoops, he was the police.[shocked]

There is no license requirement to have and raise a child. But we have to go through the ringer to defend ourselves against them. (Bad Humans sit! stay!) [rules]

Both are basic human rights. Hell, rights dosen't seem to be the correct term.
But with each comes paramount responsibility. How do we "fix" this? Obviously. I don't know. Maybe start holding parents responsible for the more reprehensible actions of there children? Just a thought. The whole issue sits in my gut like lead. To much child inapropriate TV. To much "screw the other guy". To much me first. I know a few folks that say they will never have kids, I tell 'em "thanx"

The problem is what we see every day on the news and are afraid to say because we will be called racist. They are the children of Mexicans or children of 3rd word immigrants. How many times do we have to see a pedifile with the last name of sanchez or menendez or whatever, before we admit that while their are many hard working immigrants that come to the US that their are also the lowest form of life that slip into the country right along side of them. They get protected by the hard working immigrants that come here because they are lumped into one big batch do to political rational.

Thus, the reason why we have immigration laws in the first place. Personally I am frustrated by looking at the police log in my own town every week to find out that half the arrest are south american people's that come here and bring their thier 3rd world traditions and mentality with them.

Maybe schools should take a hard look at all those assault bats that the baseball team keeps in that big Army looking canvas bag.And lets not forget the spikes on their shoes.Just an accident waiting to happen.And those sharp pencils too !

...this person is a real genuine dope, probably feels the cop should have shot at the feet instead.

...this person is a real genuine dope, probably feels the cop should have shot at the feet instead.

They watch too much TV. They all think you can aim to wound someone...remember watching 'Mannix' or 'Ironside' on TV.....150ft away, rolling ont he ground, fires one round from a snubby and wings the BG in the shoulder. [rofl]

I wonder what his BU gun of choice was?

What about the documented times when a LEO realeased his magazine from a weapon equipped with a disconnect when struggling with a perp over the weapon, the perp gained control of the weapon and it was inoperable thus saving the LEO's life? (Mass Ayoob and others have documented this).

It seems to me we can discuss tactics all day and what is right and wrong about magazine safeties, that argument is endless. The officer simply went to Plan B and used his back-up, something that LEO's in the Northeast don't seem to use much, and which some agencies acutally prohibit. Now that is a much bigger travesty than whether a weapon is equipped with a magazine safetry or not, in my estimation.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Bat Attack

What a Douche Bag. What would she have said if it was her kid that was getting his or her brains beat in?

The problem is what we see every day on the news and are afraid to say because we will be called racist. They are the children of Mexicans or children of 3rd word immigrants.

Some are, some aren't. It's really more fundamental than you state. It's a matter of family values (I know that sounds like a cliche). Lax immigration standards, illegal immigration, and the welfare culture foisted on the American people for the last 50 years all work to undermine those values.

No matter where you come from, or even if you were born here, the welfare (read helpless victim) culture has inculcated successive generations with no social values or morals as well as a complete lack of respect for authority.

Add to that the constant whining from the leftists how the American justice system unjustly imprisons minorities, liberal "no such thing as a bad person" judges, and "valuing all cultures equally" BS and you can see how we got here.

Well, all cultures aren't equal. Some, for whatever reason, are inferior and some superior. You can guess which one I think is the best. Hint. It's the one that has spent liberated much of the world, spent billions of dollars and millions of it's citizens lives to free people in other nations whose leaders weren't up to the task. It's also the one that has allowed millions upon millions of LEGAL immigrants and their progeny to prosper while their relatives who stayed behind suffered and died. It's the one that people build rafts out of anything they can find to get to. Or die trying.

It's the one that liberals and Democrats can't seem to fault enough. Which is why I'll never, ever, vote for either.

Gary

On a side note, those of you who are taking issue with Silvia Carrillo's comment should realize that these people are all around us. A police officer shot and killed a 150 pound cougar in Chicago yesterday, the cougar was in the middle of the city, in an alley, across the street from a grammar school. It turned towards the officer and he killed it...first comment in the article was someone complaining about the police not using a dart to subdue the animal, 'Muder is not the answer'. Seriously. WTF is wrong with people.

On a side note, those of you who are taking issue with Silvia Carrillo's comment should realize that these people are all around us. A police officer shot and killed a 150 pound cougar in Chicago yesterday, the cougar was in the middle of the city, in an alley, across the street from a grammar school. It turned towards the officer and he killed it...first comment in the article was someone complaining about the police not using a dart to subdue the animal, 'Muder is not the answer'. Seriously. WTF is wrong with people.

Sounds like an illegal pet, probably kept by a "banger" for an ego trip, which either escaped from or was abandoned by its keeper.

IF there was time to call Animal Control, then, yes, a tranq dart would be the humane solution.

A first-responder encountering a cougar in a city and across the street from a school does not have the luxury of time for such options.

Unfortunate for the cougar - they ought to shoot whoever captured it and who kept it in the city.

Back
Top Bottom