• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good price for a Mosin Nagant?

Prices have sky rocketed since the 1980's. A rifle four years ago that sold for $200 is now well over $375 to $400. It depends on if its an early import without that awful banner import mark on the receiver or if its an early model 91 not a 91/30. I have collected Mosins for many years and have a few LOL. As to the people who would not buy one at any price.....well I guess that just makes more of them for us.
The things to check for is bore condition and matching numbers on the receiver and bolt as well as the crown on the barrel. If its nice and smooth and uniform that's a good sign. If you have a 7.62x54R round with you drop it in the muzzle. See how far the projectile drops inside of the barrel. If it drops to the case don't buy it. That rifle was most likely counter bored because the end of the rifling was junk. If you want an accurate Mosin purchase a Finn M39. Far more accurate and far better sights. I hope this information helps.

Prices have sky rocketed since the 1980's. A rifle four years ago that sold for $200 is now well over $375 to $400. It depends on if its an early import without that awful banner import mark on the receiver or if its an early model 91 not a 91/30. I have collected Mosins for many years and have a few LOL. As to the people who would not buy one at any price.....well I guess that just makes more of them for us.
The things to check for is bore condition and matching numbers on the receiver and bolt as well as the crown on the barrel. If its nice and smooth and uniform that's a good sign. If you have a 7.62x54R round with you drop it in the muzzle. See how far the projectile drops inside of the barrel. If it drops to the case don't buy it. That rifle was most likely counter bored because the end of the rifling was junk. If you want an accurate Mosin purchase a Finn M39. Far more accurate and far better sights. I hope this information helps.
I will add about bore condition.....don't hesitate to buy a rusty bore if the price is right. I got a polish m44 carbine with a sewer pipe bore for $130 3 years ago. Shoots a well as my full size 91-30 and my m38 with shiney bores. Just don't buy one with a rusty bore for top dollar.....and you might be surprised what you'll get out it it.

I got my mosin Nagant carbine from one of one eyed Jacks guys in Littleton. Maybe 5 years ago? It’s more than double in price. And he got a really good crate of them with matched serial numbers and not beaten to hell.

Another thing I’ve noticed about mosins is that there is a huge aftermarket for parts for them. Lots of new plastic stocks and sights and rails.

I know that they made a metric shit ton of these guns, but many have been wrecked and if people keep replacing original pieces of the guns, then originals will rise in value. I’m certainly not going to be able to retire on the rise in the price though.

I just bought it because it’s a good conversation piece and relatively cheap to shoot. And because guns are fun. But it’s certainly the last gun in the arsenal that I’d go to for defense or a SHTF situation. That said, it does shoot, and this useful.

Enjoy your mosin. My advice would be to hunt around for a good one. The gun is cheap, no matter the price. It’s the ammo price that’ll kill ya in the long run!

May I tag onto this thread? I have a new Russian Mosin Nagant (still in cosmoline, but the box finally disintegrated to the point I had to throw it away. Ideas on its value and should I leave it as such or clean it up?

Best thing is to find out about the proof marks that are on the rifle, Plenty of sites for that give the information. Then you will have a better understanding on what you have.
And maybe you will think better about getting rid of the old gal.....

May I tag onto this thread? I have a new Russian Mosin Nagant (still in cosmoline, but the box finally disintegrated to the point I had to throw it away. Ideas on its value and should I leave it as such or clean it up?

Few questions:

(1) What model is it? If you don't know that, how long is the barrel?
(2) Where is it from? The cosmoline shouldn't completely blur out the factory stamp on the receiver.
(3) How much did you pay for it?

M1891/30 (M91/30) Russian Mosin Nagant (russian-mosin-nagant.com)

I have a '42 Ishy 91/30 it's a very rare model (1 out of a bazillion produced). Bought it back in '14 for $189 . It's minimal worth as a collector. It's priceless to me. My stock was really beat up, I refinished the stock, and I shoot the piss out of it all the way out to 600 yds. When I bought mine I got some extra accessories stripper clip pouches, a sling, and the pig skewer. They are a ton of fun to shoot, surprisingly accurate with handloaded match quality ammo. Scrape off the cosmo and just shoot it !

M1891/30 (M91/30) Russian Mosin Nagant (russian-mosin-nagant.com)

I have a '42 Ishy 91/30 it's a very rare model (1 out of a bazillion produced). Bought it back in '14 for $189 . It's minimal worth as a collector. It's priceless to me. My stock was really beat up, I refinished the stock, and I shoot the piss out of it all the way out to 600 yds. When I bought mine I got some extra accessories stripper clip pouches, a sling, and the pig skewer. They are a ton of fun to shoot, surprisingly accurate with handloaded match quality ammo. Scrape off the cosmo and just shoot it !
Road Clam thats kinda what I was thinkin about doin with it. Just clean it up and have some fun. But I didn't know if, since it was "new", should I leave it alone. And if I should leave it alone, then I might just sell it and get something I can shoot with.

C.Stockwell - I will start looking for makers marks. As for what I paid, my Son-in-Law gave it to me many years ago. His Dad bought them at an estate auction 40 years ago and when his Dad died, he inherited about 20 of them. I might just get another one from him and then I wont feel guilty about cleaning one up and using it.

Road Clam thats kinda what I was thinkin about doin with it. Just clean it up and have some fun. But I didn't know if, since it was "new", should I leave it alone. And if I should leave it alone, then I might just sell it and get something I can shoot with.

Its not new. It was definitely used, re-arsenaled and put in cosmo for storage. Some people will pay more for one in that condition, other's won't be interested because they want to shoot it not clean it.

Even a "rare" Mosin is still just a Mosin, though. The one I have is a B-barreled Finn, one of just 5,000 made... you'd think that would make it rare, but I think I'd still be lucky to get more than about $450 for it. Even in today's market.

looks like it says M91/38 Russia - which I thought was the year. Now looking closely I did find a "1942" on the barrel. The magazine body and bolt both say 3010, the barrel is stamped 6010. Looks like I'm gonna be cleanin and playin...

Last edited:
Road Clam - what'd you clean yours up with?
I started during the hottest months of the summer. Just let the stock sit in the blazing hot sun and the 80 years of solvents and the soaked in cosmo will actually bleed out and you can wipe clean. It takes a lot of effort to clean . I also used Citristrip , it's a great stripper and smells mild.

Citristrip 1/2 Gal. Safer Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel Non-NMP-HCSG803 - The Home Depot

I then lightly sanded , and used Minwax Gunstock and a few coats of poly . Not going to lie, it's a LOT of work to bleed out and remove all the gunk from the wood. Nothing fancy for me , I wasn't looking for a pristine finish I want a weekly shooter that looks nice. Here's a recent pic :

Back
Top Bottom