1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Good price for a Mosin Nagant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by McL0v1nfunk, Apr 13, 2019.

1. 50 BMG

50 BMG Mosin Nagant Collector NES Member

Prices have sky rocketed since the 1980's. A rifle four years ago that sold for $200 is now well over $375 to $400. It depends on if its an early import without that awful banner import mark on the receiver or if its an early model 91 not a 91/30. I have collected Mosins for many years and have a few LOL. As to the people who would not buy one at any price.....well I guess that just makes more of them for us.
    The things to check for is bore condition and matching numbers on the receiver and bolt as well as the crown on the barrel. If its nice and smooth and uniform that's a good sign. If you have a 7.62x54R round with you drop it in the muzzle. See how far the projectile drops inside of the barrel. If it drops to the case don't buy it. That rifle was most likely counter bored because the end of the rifling was junk. If you want an accurate Mosin purchase a Finn M39. Far more accurate and far better sights. I hope this information helps.

andrew1220 likes this.

2. DeadEyeDan

DeadEyeDan NES Member

I remember when they were selling at gun shows for $69 and I didn’t buy one... I sent the extra $80 and got a SVT-40 instead.

3. whacko

whacko

I will add about bore condition.....don't hesitate to buy a rusty bore if the price is right. I got a polish m44 carbine with a sewer pipe bore for $130 3 years ago. Shoots a well as my full size 91-30 and my m38 with shiney bores. Just don't buy one with a rusty bore for top dollar.....and you might be surprised what you'll get out it it.

4. teaser452

teaser452

I got my mosin Nagant carbine from one of one eyed Jacks guys in Littleton. Maybe 5 years ago? It’s more than double in price. And he got a really good crate of them with matched serial numbers and not beaten to hell.

Another thing I’ve noticed about mosins is that there is a huge aftermarket for parts for them. Lots of new plastic stocks and sights and rails.

I know that they made a metric shit ton of these guns, but many have been wrecked and if people keep replacing original pieces of the guns, then originals will rise in value. I’m certainly not going to be able to retire on the rise in the price though.

I just bought it because it’s a good conversation piece and relatively cheap to shoot. And because guns are fun. But it’s certainly the last gun in the arsenal that I’d go to for defense or a SHTF situation. That said, it does shoot, and this useful.

Enjoy your mosin. My advice would be to hunt around for a good one. The gun is cheap, no matter the price. It’s the ammo price that’ll kill ya in the long run!

5. johnnymac101

johnnymac101 NES Member

I got my first (91/30) and second (Type 53) Mosins from group buys here... then my M44 and M39 from members here!
    Something about a Mosin, it just warms you up!!

Mosin T53.png