• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good price for a Mosin Nagant?

Why? They are long guns and legal in both MA and NH. He can just buy it in NH and FA-10 when he gets it home, can't he?

I might be wrong with the extra cost part, I have not done it before. I have only done buying online and shipping to local FFL, so transfer fee involved.

My friend is from NH, so no issue for him.

I want to buy another Mosin as well, if anyone can explain how the process works.

I might be wrong with the extra cost part, I have not done it before. I have only done buying online and shipping to local FFL, so transfer fee involved.

My friend is from NH, so no issue for him.

I want to buy another Mosin as well, if anyone can explain how the process works.
The process is if you are NH resident, you buy it in NH no problem.
If you are a MA resident with an LTC, buy it in NH, bring it home and FA-10 it online when you bring it to MA (within 7 days).
If you are C&R Holder, it can be shipped to your house from wherever will ship it to you. If you are in MA, FA-10 online.
If you not a C&R holder, have it shipped to a state like NH or MA and repeat the above.

Not sure what you mean by "extra cost"? Transfer fee? For a long gun you can just buy it in NH and bring it home. Pistols would need to be transferred.

If you are a MA resident with an LTC, buy it in NH, bring it home and FA-10 it online when you bring it to MA (within 7 days).
If you are C&R Holder, it can be shipped to your house from wherever will ship it to you. If you are in MA, FA-10 online.
If you not a C&R holder, have it shipped to a state like NH or MA and repeat the above.

Not sure what you mean by "extra cost"? Transfer fee? For a long gun you can just buy it in NH and bring it home. Pistols would need to be transferred.

I was thinking about transfer fee as extra cost. In this case, I worried too much :). I’ll probably get another in the near future.

Off the topic, since people posted issue with MA FFL transferring SKS. Can I buy and FA-10 it the same way as Mosin ? Will the yugo SKS with launcher cause any issue ?

Not all NH gun shops will give a non-resident a long gun to take home the same day. As as RI resident, I bought a vz. 24 in Whitefield while I was up there for a job interview and didn't have my C&R (because I was there for a job interview). So they shipped the gun to a store in RI, who then did a FFL-to-FFL transfer to me using my C&R.

OP: get a C&R if you intend to regularly buy old guns, including guns like say a pre-64 Winchester or a pre-1969 (and counting up) gun like a Remington 1100 or 870 or commercial Colt 1911.

I personally wouldn't go up to NH to buy a M91/30 as a Mass resident however because the guns are inexpensive and common enough to be found in pretty much any gun shop. If anything, I would imagine Mosins are highly popular in Mass because they're relatively unregulated.

Off the topic, since people posted issue with MA FFL transferring SKS. Can I buy and FA-10 it the same way as Mosin ? Will the yugo SKS with launcher cause any issue ?
Not an issue unless you use a stupid/paranoid shop.
The SKS, unless you get a modified or one of the rare variants, are fixed magazine and therefore not under the purview of the AWB. Furthermore all (or all that I know of having been manufactured) are pre-1994 and possessed the "evil" features direct from the factory (Zastava in the case of Yugos). As such they'd be good to go anyway.

Case in point a couple years ago there was a MA-based Yugo SKS group buy here on NES.

Not an issue unless you use a stupid/paranoid shop.
The SKS, unless you get a modified or one of the rare variants, are fixed magazine and therefore not under the purview of the AWB. Furthermore all (or all that I know of having been manufactured) are pre-1994 and possessed the "evil" features direct from the factory (Zastava in the case of Yugos). As such they'd be good to go anyway.

Case in point a couple years ago there was a MA-based Yugo SKS group buy here on NES.

I’d probably save the couple bucks transfer fee for ammo if I can finish the FA-10 myself. Thanks for the info.

You mention two different purposes. Collecting guns and using them is a bit of a dichotomy unless you're Ian and Karl or C&Rsenal and do "historic shooting" for the purpose of research.

The first thing you should do is figure out what you really intend to do with the Mosin. If you want something you can shoot, just find the cheapest M91/30 possible that isn't beat to crap. That being said, they're actually not very practical guns to shoot. You can't really compete in anything with them except in special WW2-oriented matches or if you get a Finnish Mosin and shoot say High Power with one. You can hunt with one, but they're not as effective as a used Savage 110 or Remington 700 with an econo-grade 3x9-40. The stripper clips suck. Some people brag about special brass or Finnish or Chinese stripper clips, but the stripper clips generally suck. If you want to collect guns and not really use them for anything, just buy whatever Mosin variant interests you.

The second thing you should do is to figure out all the variations of Mosin:

7.62x54r.net

Finally, set yourself a realistic price point. There are really quite rare Mosins out there, like say an original M91 dragoon or a French-made Mosin or a Mosin from the very early stages of production with the metal faux pistol grip, that command a higher price due to basic supply/demand issues. Then there's Finnish Mosins, again, which command a higher premium. Carbines also cost more because again, less supply and more demand (despite being relatively common guns). If all you want is a gun to shoot at a 100 yard rifle range every other Saturday, there's a huge amount of other options like Carcanos, Arisakas, French rifles, or if you're not in Mass or CT, ARs. Pretty sure even in Mass, you can get an inexpensive SKS for under $500 still, especially if you get a C&R license.

I don't get why he can't collect and shoot a gun unless he does a vlog on youtube? Or why it would have to be "historic shooting". I collect and shoot everything I buy. Some guns have decent value and some do not, yet I shoot them all as if that's what they were made for.

Then you say a good 100 yard reliable gun would be "Carcanos, Arisakas, French rifles" none of those would be in a class of reliable.

As was mentioned Mosin Nagants range from the hard to find price of $250 to the more common $350. I personally would not pay that for one, but if you really wanted one it certainly wont break the bank. I sure as shit would not pay $450.

I don't get why he can't collect and shoot a gun unless he does a vlog on youtube? Or why it would have to be "historic shooting". I collect and shoot everything I buy. Some guns have decent value and some do not, yet I shoot them all as if that's what they were made for.

Then you say a good 100 yard reliable gun would be "Carcanos, Arisakas, French rifles" none of those would be in a class of reliable.

As was mentioned Mosin Nagants range from the hard to find price of $250 to the more common $350. I personally would not pay that for one, but if you really wanted one it certainly wont break the bank. I sure as shit would not pay $450.

"Shoot" and "use" means different things to different people. You can shoot any gun that works well enough to get off one shot. You can't win a High Power match with a Mosin though. And the vast majority of Carcanos, Arisakas, French WW2 rifles, or other oddball foreign bolt actions for under $500 work fine enough to hit paper at 100 yards if you're willing to mess around with the sights if needed unless the gun's been messed up somehow or is missing parts.

Besides, OP explained what he plans on doing.

If the OP has a mind to, there are all types of Mosin Modifications out there. It's not for everyone, but some of the stuff I've seen reminds me of the endless Ruger 10/22 options. I put an Archangel on one of mine, that's as far as I got. Someday I'll get to the Bi-pod and an Optic.

upload_2019-4-15_20-14-11.jpeg

Look around, there's a ton of stuff you can if you're so inclined.

The Mosin Modernization Project - Modern Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle - Gear Report

Project Build: The Ultimate Mosin Nagant - The Truth About Guns

My Two Mosin Nagant Builds [Part 1 of 2]

The Ultimate Mosin Nagant: Transforming a Legend - AllOutdoor.com

etc, etc ad infinitum.

Then yeah, just buy the cheapest M91/30 you can find. Alternatively, if you're not planning on doing much shooting, check out other WW2-service era surplus guns like the MAS36, Berthier, T99 or T38 Arisaka, a 6.5 Carcano that hasn't been chopped down, or a Swiss rifle. I'm not sure what inexpensive Mausers there are anymore: the vz. 24 used to be very inexpensive but you'd probably have to find one at a random gun store.

The M91/30 is fine for someone who wants maximum value for money. The only real downsides for a newb are the recoil (can induce a flinch if you're not mindful) and the safety is... well, you'll see.
Not exactly a noob, I fired .50s in BCT/while hunting at home but I'll bear that in mind lol

Again, thanks everyone. Money comes and goes, I'll probably just go with the cheapest one I find provided it's not obviously rusted or mangled in any way. It'll be cool to own one, anyway.

Again, thanks everyone. Money comes and goes, I'll probably just go with the cheapest one I find provided it's not obviously rusted or mangled in any way. It'll be cool to own one, anyway.
They are cool to own. Some hate them but to have one in a collection is good.

Have to add that the carbine versions are the best dollar to fun ratio of any rifle I own. The muzzle flash and report are insane. Loudest rifle I've ever fired......and I've used the 50 cal m2 in the army for many years. The carbines are LOUD!

M38
M44
Chinese type 53
Are the carbines. If you can find one at a decent price don't hesitate. But they do run a bit more than the full length 91-30

Even rust shouldn't be a big concern. When I had my M91/30, the bolt handle would rust if kept in a humid area. Came right off with a brush or two of sandpaper. I personally haven't seen really rusted Mosins in gun stores for sale. If there's light surface rust, I wouldn't worry and would try to haggle the price down. Don't buy one with rust inside the action, chamber, or barrel though.

Even rust shouldn't be a big concern. When I had my M91/30, the bolt handle would rust if kept in a humid area. Came right off with a brush or two of sandpaper. I personally haven't seen really rusted Mosins in gun stores for sale. If there's light surface rust, I wouldn't worry and would try to haggle the price down. Don't buy one with rust inside the action, chamber, or barrel though.
Great advice, that makes me feel a lot more comfortable. Thank you!

They are cool to own. Some hate them but to have one in a collection is good.

Have to add that the carbine versions are the best dollar to fun ratio of any rifle I own. The muzzle flash and report are insane. Loudest rifle I've ever fired......and I've used the 50 cal m2 in the army for many years. The carbines are LOUD!

M38
M44
Chinese type 53
Are the carbines. If you can find one at a decent price don't hesitate. But they do run a bit more than the full length 91-30
Okay, thank you, I was thinking 91/30 for cost purposes, but I do like the carbine better. If its as fun as you say, I'll spend a little more. Thanks for answering all my questions, I appreciate your patience with me! Haha

Okay, thank you, I was thinking 91/30 for cost purposes, but I do like the carbine better. If its as fun as you say, I'll spend a little more. Thanks for answering all my questions, I appreciate your patience with me! Haha
I can't find the photo I had of my m44 muzzle blast. Here is a photo stolen from the internet. They are insane.

m44-kablooie.jpg

I can't find the photo I had of my m44 muzzle blast. Here is a photo stolen from the internet. They are insane.

OP: its not just the M44s, it's any 7.62x54r gun with a barrel shorter than say... 21"? A 20" Vepr will do that as well.

Use modern, non-surplus ammo if you want to avoid the lights show.

OP: its not just the M44s, it's any 7.62x54r gun with a barrel shorter than say... 21"? A 20" Vepr will do that as well.

Use modern, non-surplus ammo if you want to avoid the lights show.
I'm sure both will be fun; do they make modern 54r ammo? Is that something I could find easily? I havn't bothered going out and searching, seeing as how I don't even have the rifle yet.

I'm sure both will be fun; do they make modern 54r ammo? Is that something I could find easily? I havn't bothered going out and searching, seeing as how I don't even have the rifle yet.

The two brands I used for modern x54r were Sellier and Bellot and PPU. PPU is common enough if you go to actual gun stores instead of say Wal-Mart or hunting/fishing stores.

There's also Wolf/the Bear Brands that are steel cased.

Tullamo brand can be found at most walmarts.

The actual surplus commie stuff is more powerful though.

Walmart frequently has Tulammo 7.62x54r. It’s about $12/20. There is also brown bear, and similar available. As others have said there is also a svelte prvi partizan brass case load. Unsure of the price.

Just as a word of mild warning, if you do score a spam can or some surplus ammo it’s very corrosive. Make sure you clean your rifle with soapy water right after shooting or your bore will get crispier than the colonels chicken.

I sold my one and only can in January for $140, which seems like close to the going rate these days.

Someone told me once that there are two kinds of surplus loads: the extra spicy one you’re describing was made to run pkm machine guns. There’s also a more mellow variety which was made for everything else. Of course, “mellow” is relative.

I don’t read any eastern bloc language but the truth is on the spam can print from what I understand.

Someone told me once that there are two kinds of surplus loads: the extra spicy one you’re describing was made to run pkm machine guns. There’s also a more mellow variety which was made for everything else. Of course, “mellow” is relative.

I don’t read any eastern bloc language but the truth is on the spam can print from what I understand.
Any spam can I've ever got was way hotter than factory new stuff. That's all I know

IME the surplus stuff was less consistent than modern factory loadings. The fire balls come from the fact that the old CommBloc powders had slower burn rates. I've had times when my M91/30 made the huge fire balls - it's the old surplus powder. 7.62x54r.net did a bunch of ammo comparisons and while the 70s "silver tip" ammo had the highest bullet velocities, it's weaker in terms of kinetic energy than PPU 180gr hunting soft points:

USSR 1971 7.62x54r Steel Core Light Ball

Wolf Gold/Privi Partizan 7.62x54r 180 gr. SP

Wolf 7.62x54r 148 gr. FMJ

7.62x54r.net also has a good explanation of what the spam cans say on them and a cartridge ID page:

7.62x54r Ammunition Identification

AP0032.jpg

I dont really care about resale value, as I'm buying this to start my collection of cool firearms. I've seen some at Cabelas for around the 250-300$ range, but I know a few shops that have them for around 450+. That being said, does the price difference matter? Id like to save as much money as possible, but I don't really know what to look for in a rifle that old. Should I go with the cheaper one? Will it matter that much? Trying not to break the bank but I want a reliable rifle that I can actually use.

What exactly did your shoulder do to you that you want to punish it so bad? I bought a Mosin, cleaned it (painful), shot it (more painful) and sold it (painful).

A friend laughed at me, said, and I'll quote, "Chris, Russian women used to shoot those, quit your crying!" Well, I have a CHOICE, and I choose to not punish myself with a Mosin-Nagant, but if you're into self-flagellation, go for it.

-chris

What exactly did your shoulder do to you that you want to punish it so bad? I bought a Mosin, cleaned it (painful), shot it (more painful) and sold it (painful).

A friend laughed at me, said, and I'll quote, "Chris, Russian women used to shoot those, quit your crying!" Well, I have a CHOICE, and I choose to not punish myself with a Mosin-Nagant, but if you're into self-flagellation, go for it.

-chris

Yes, Lyudmila Pavlichenko from the Ukraine. 309 kills during ww2 against the Nazis.

Watch the Battle for Sevastopol on Netflix about her. You'll get why the Soviets see the historic importance of the Crimea.

The Red Army had thousands of female snipers.

Battle_of_Sevastopol_2015.jpg

BTW I still have a 1938 M91:30 for sale in the marketplace for those interested. Will cover transfer at Pullman MicroArc and can handle and inspect beforehand prior to sale. Bayonet and some surplus ammo included.

This is not one of the corroded pitted finished over recent imports at Cabelas. .

Back
Top Bottom