• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good price for a Mosin Nagant?

I dont really care about resale value, as I'm buying this to start my collection of cool firearms. I've seen some at Cabelas for around the 250-300$ range, but I know a few shops that have them for around 450+. That being said, does the price difference matter? Id like to save as much money as possible, but I don't really know what to look for in a rifle that old. Should I go with the cheaper one? Will it matter that much? Trying not to break the bank but I want a reliable rifle that I can actually use.

I dont really care about resale value, as I'm buying this to start my collection of cool firearms. I've seen some at Cabelas for around the 250-300$ range, but I know a few shops that have them for around 450+. That being said, does the price difference matter? Id like to save as much money as possible, but I don't really know what to look for in a rifle that old. Should I go with the cheaper one? Will it matter that much? Trying not to break the bank but I want a reliable rifle that I can actually use.

You mention two different purposes. Collecting guns and using them is a bit of a dichotomy unless you're Ian and Karl or C&Rsenal and do "historic shooting" for the purpose of research.

The first thing you should do is figure out what you really intend to do with the Mosin. If you want something you can shoot, just find the cheapest M91/30 possible that isn't beat to crap. That being said, they're actually not very practical guns to shoot. You can't really compete in anything with them except in special WW2-oriented matches or if you get a Finnish Mosin and shoot say High Power with one. You can hunt with one, but they're not as effective as a used Savage 110 or Remington 700 with an econo-grade 3x9-40. The stripper clips suck. Some people brag about special brass or Finnish or Chinese stripper clips, but the stripper clips generally suck. If you want to collect guns and not really use them for anything, just buy whatever Mosin variant interests you.

The second thing you should do is to figure out all the variations of Mosin:

7.62x54r.net

Finally, set yourself a realistic price point. There are really quite rare Mosins out there, like say an original M91 dragoon or a French-made Mosin or a Mosin from the very early stages of production with the metal faux pistol grip, that command a higher price due to basic supply/demand issues. Then there's Finnish Mosins, again, which command a higher premium. Carbines also cost more because again, less supply and more demand (despite being relatively common guns). If all you want is a gun to shoot at a 100 yard rifle range every other Saturday, there's a huge amount of other options like Carcanos, Arisakas, French rifles, or if you're not in Mass or CT, ARs. Pretty sure even in Mass, you can get an inexpensive SKS for under $500 still, especially if you get a C&R license.

If you want a functional 91/30 Mosin, I would say $200-$250. Buy soon, because they’ve slowly been creeping up in value over the last 5 years and I expect that to continue.

The problem these days though is more closely related to ammo. When I bought mine about 7 years ago, it was a good cheap option for a poor kid. The rifle was $100 and I found a can of 440 surplus rounds I also got for $100.

Surplus is all but gone and if you do find it it’s closer to $200/440rds. New manufacture7.62x54r can be a wee bit tricky to find, and is usually about 60c/rd at Walmart when they have it.

I love my Mosin still and I’ll never sell it, but it’s not a high value choice suitable for a poor history major anymore.

PS, the stripper clips suck and are near impossible to use smoothly.

Seems the low end is $250ish

If your a "shooting collector" meaning your just interested in say the battle rifles of WWII and you want a piece that represents then you buy something that your not afraid to shoot and potentially damage or devalue .
The mosin was appealing to me when they where -$100 and ammo was .12¢ round. Good old blasting fun.
i was paying more for 22lr match ammo!

The mosin is not the best gun for trying to shoot groups and generally if its under 8moa with surplus ammo its a better one.
Bring a small light when looking at them. Peak into the bore and see if it at least has groves and lands.
At the current prices they are fetching Im thinking of selling mine.

$250 low end for a 91/30 (WW2 vintage round receiver) then things climb up and up. Last time I was in 619DW I think they were asking about $265.
Mine is not particularly accurate but there have been some good entries in our Winter Warrior matches.

It was my first centerfire rifle and when you're just getting into firearms the BOOM is very fun and brought many smiles to different people over the years.

Surplus is still available although much less often than in the past. PPU make a nice brass cased 7.62x54R and if you get into reloading it can be done for about 30-35 cents per round.

The stripper clips work fine if you know how to use them. Most people I've seen don't know how to use them properly. I had no issue on the firing line at Monadnock loading from a clip in the pouch 91/30s often come with.

$250 to $300 for a ww2 era beater mosin is about right. That's the mosin you want if your buying a rifle to screw around with at the range. Like others have said there are a veritable shit ton of different mosin out there even polish made ones (I have a 1954 polish m44 that has blued steel rather than the flat parkerized coating and its awesome)......so you gotta ask......is this a rifle I'm gonna shoot a few times a year or a rifle I'm going to start a collection with.

Last edited:
$250 low end for a 91/30 (WW2 vintage round receiver) then things climb up and up. Last time I was in 619DW I think they were asking about $265.
Mine is not particularly accurate but there have been some good entries in our Winter Warrior matches.

It was my first centerfire rifle and when you're just getting into firearms the BOOM is very fun and brought many smiles to different people over the years.

Surplus is still available although much less often than in the past. PPU make a nice brass cased 7.62x54R and if you get into reloading it can be done for about 30-35 cents per round.

The stripper clips work fine if you know how to use them. Most people I've seen don't know how to use them properly. I had no issue on the firing line at Monadnock loading from a clip in the pouch 91/30s often come with.

I mentioned the clips because if the guy's looking to spend between $250 to $500, he can either:

a) Learn to love the suck of stripper clips; or
b) Buy a rifle that does not use stripper clips and save time by using a mag-fed rifle or something in between like a SKS (normally clip-fed but moddable to take 30-round mags, e.g. "Chinese Paratrooper"/Navy Arms/Tapco SKS).

Here's an example of how much stripper clips suck even with a "good" system, the G98. Karl literally said in another video that "stripper clips suck" as applied to a Mauser. And most rational people are willing to concede that the Mauser is a better "platform" than the Mosin. So again, OP can either take time to learn to deal with stripper clips or he can just buy a modern/more advanced rifle without having to deal with the issue.

I mentioned the clips because if the guy's looking to spend between $250 to $500, he can either:

a) Learn to love the suck of stripper clips; or
b) Buy a rifle that does not use stripper clips and save time by using a mag-fed rifle or something in between like a SKS (normally clip-fed but moddable to take 30-round mags, e.g. "Chinese Paratrooper"/Navy Arms/Tapco SKS).

Here's an example of how much stripper clips suck even with a "good" system, the G98. Karl literally said in another video that "stripper clips suck" as applied to a Mauser. And most rational people are willing to concede that the Mauser is a better "platform" than the Mosin. So again, OP can either take time to learn to deal with stripper clips or he can just buy a modern/more advanced rifle without having to deal with the issue.

It's a milsurp rifle. He doesn't need to "deal with stripper clips" at all. Just load the 5 rounds one at a time it's no big deal....

Last edited:
It's a milsurp rifle. He doesn't need to "deal with stripper clips" at all. Just load the 5 rounds one at a time it's no big deal

Like I said in my first post, it depends on what he intends to do with the gun. Barney loading is fine if he's never going to compete with it or wants to hunt with it. Anything beyond that requires loading faster than one at a time. If you have say $500 available and you want a milsurp gun that has some practical application (like he posted), something without stripper clips is better.

The problem with the mosin clips is almost all are reproductions and just not made well.
Same goes for all clips, if they are not made correctly or bent and twisted ypu have problems
Oh and if you get rim lock with your mosin your interuptor us not working

Have you looked on gunbroker for completed auctions? If you haven't, go look. That will give you about what it is going for. Have you checked any mosin forums? Do some leg work. Most importantly pay what you feel comfortable with. It's your money, why ask us what you should be paying. Hell you didn't even provide pictures.

Like I said in my first post, it depends on what he intends to do with the gun. Barney loading is fine if he's never going to compete with it or wants to hunt with it. Anything beyond that requires loading faster than one at a time. If you have say $500 available and you want a milsurp gun that has some practical application (like he posted), something without stripper clips is better.
Other than hunting, competing, and general shooting, what else is he going to use it for? Home defense? And of those, how many require stripper clips?
The only time I know of using stripper clips other than "for fun" is competition.

I'll often do some SKS ones ahead of time (and enblocs for M1) but primarily I'm single loading unless I'm doing a competition.
If you're bench shooting for practice/precision, stripper clips are unnecessary unless you're in a hurry.

Why a mosin? Newer bolt action hunting rifles can be had cheap, with shitty scope, and in all sorts of modern chambering, some cheaper to feed, some not.

Besides the 1st one I got for $65, I too would say $250 to $300 in ‘today’s market’ for a good 91/30, one without the counter-bored bore and not a beater.

A few years ago I went to 619DW Guns and talked w/ the Owner, as he had maybe 40 on hand at that time. He gave me a -54R cartridge that I inserted into the muzzle looking for the tightest bore, a ‘rough’ field check. I narrowed it done to 3 candidates, 1 of which had really strong cartouches and the best stock, practically perfect. But I ended selecting #2 for the bore and she’s a shooter.

We have a cast boolit shoot at my Club and the Mosins are very popular. Load a cast boolit measuring 0.001” over the bore size, under 16-grns of 2400 and have a day of great, accurate shooting!

The price for Nagants varies a lot depending on the condition, model, and year of production. The WWI ones can get up to and over a grand sometimes because one is buying the history more than a shooter.

For me Mosins are mostly for the cool/collection value. It’s not a gun I have that is meant to do real “work” unless the zombies show up and I have to arm an ill prepared member of my boogaloo crew.

I get to own an authentic piece of WWII that I actually get to use sometimes. I can reasonably afford a Mosin and a can of ammo, but much less so a Garand and a can of ammo. Maybe a Garand someday though...

It doesn’t have to be super accurate or rare for me to appreciate it. In fact, the idea that there are a bazillion of them and that they can be a little rough from rushed, mass manufacture is really cool to me. That has a lot of historical value in and of itself. It teaches us a lot more about the people who lived through WWII than a super rare Garand variant or a “never be fired, never been carried” K98.

Besides the 1st one I got for $65, I too would say $250 to $300 in ‘today’s market’ for a good 91/30, one without the counter-bored bore and not a beater.

A few years ago I went to 619DW Guns and talked w/ the Owner, as he had maybe 40 on hand at that time. He gave me a -54R cartridge that I inserted into the muzzle looking for the tightest bore, a ‘rough’ field check. I narrowed it done to 3 candidates, 1 of which had really strong cartouches and the best stock, practically perfect. But I ended selecting #2 for the bore and she’s a shooter.

We have a cast boolit shoot at my Club and the Mosins are very popular. Load a cast boolit measuring 0.001” over the bore size, under 16-grns of 2400 and have a day of great, accurate shooting!
That combo works great in a lot of milsurps and is my go to load for 200 yard cmp games. With 1903a3,mosin,k98 and Type 99

Thanks everybody for the input. Sorry for not specifying; I don't plan to hunt with it or go competition shooting. I just got my FID, I've been a gun nut my whole life and always thought the Mosin (any model) seemed cool. Yes, historically but it is also IMO a sexy looking rifle. I also live pretty far from anywhere to shoot, so it's not like I would be using it all the time. I would like a Mosin to start my collection, and to show my buddies who also think they are interesting. I would like to do this without spending a complete fortune, and I would like it to be able to shoot without blowing up or falling apart. They have some at my local Cabelas for 250-300, I just want to know if that's considered "low" for a firearm, especially given its age. It would do more time sitting in my closet than actually being fired, most likely.

Furthermore, I wouldn't call it a display piece. I would use it, just not as often as someone who lives right near a range or who has alot of land.

Thanks everybody for the input. Sorry for not specifying; I don't plan to hunt with it or go competition shooting. I just got my FID, I've been a gun nut my whole life and always thought the Mosin (any model) seemed cool. Yes, historically but it is also IMO a sexy looking rifle. I also live pretty far from anywhere to shoot, so it's not like I would be using it all the time. I would like a Mosin to start my collection, and to show my buddies who also think they are interesting. I would like to do this without spending a complete fortune, and I would like it to be able to shoot without blowing up or falling apart. They have some at my local Cabelas for 250-300, I just want to know if that's considered "low" for a firearm, especially given its age. It would do more time sitting in my closet than actually being fired, most likely.
$250-$300 is fair for a store, I'd say. I've never bought a firearm at Cabela's so I don't know if they do any kind of checking on them--for example verifying they're headspaced properly, etc., or if it's just a "what you see is what you get."

If you can, I'd try to get/bring a headspace gauge (I bought mine for $20 a few years back) and maybe a good light to check the bore. Basically, if they have a bunch to choose from, try to pick the best one of course.

The 91/30 was my first centerfire rifle and I still shoot mine several times per year. Unless you get a really bad one with a nicked crown, etc. it'll still hit steel plates at 100yds+ just fine.

Even though they aren't as cheap as they used to be, I still think they're a good deal for someone who is interested in something with some history and just fun shooting.

Furthermore, I wouldn't call it a display piece. I would use it, just not as often as someone who lives right near a range or who has alot of land.

Then yeah, just buy the cheapest M91/30 you can find. Alternatively, if you're not planning on doing much shooting, check out other WW2-service era surplus guns like the MAS36, Berthier, T99 or T38 Arisaka, a 6.5 Carcano that hasn't been chopped down, or a Swiss rifle. I'm not sure what inexpensive Mausers there are anymore: the vz. 24 used to be very inexpensive but you'd probably have to find one at a random gun store.

The M91/30 is fine for someone who wants maximum value for money. The only real downsides for a newb are the recoil (can induce a flinch if you're not mindful) and the safety is... well, you'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooters Outpost usually has 91/30 for under $300, good condition covered in cosmoline. My friend got one couple months ago for $270.

It’s going to be extra cost to get it into MA tho.

Shooters Outpost usually has 91/30 for under $300, good condition covered in cosmoline. My friend got one couple months ago for $270.

It’s going to be extra cost to get it into MA tho.
Why? They are long guns and legal in both MA and NH. He can just buy it in NH and FA-10 when he gets it home, can't he?

Back
Top Bottom