Good place to buy a Weber Grill?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Well my grill finally gave out last weekend after only having it for 2 years. It was one of those Charbroil grills I bought at home depot. Normally I buy low to mid range outside grills, but have learned that between the last two I've owned, they've only lasted a couple years each. My parents on the other hand bought a Weber several years ago and the damn thing look brand new and they leave it outside throughout the winter. Sooo, screw buying cheapo brands from now on.

With that said does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy one at a decent price? They're expensive, so I'd like to find a place that's reputable and has good deals on them. I'd even take a trip up to NH to get it to save on the taxes.

Any recommendations?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What kind are you looking for? Just a regular kettle style charcoal grill or one of the huge stainless steel propane fired behemoths or something in between?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you can do it, go natural gas. Best move i ever made. HD was running a special online a couple summers ago. Got bonus miles or something on the cc.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could be wrong, but when I bought mine 4 year ago (still working like it was brand new), I was told that Weber's policy doesn't allow authorized dealers to offer reduced or sales pricing.

Authorized dealers can however offer incentives like free delivery, free assembly, throw in a grill cover, etc.

I bought mine at Ace Hardware (it was a special order), and they delivered for free (to the store), whereas Home Depot would have charged me an in store delivery fee.

Ace also offered to assemble it at no extra charge.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can do it, go natural gas. Best move i ever made. HD was running a special online a couple summers ago. Got bonus miles or something on the cc.
That's what I went with... well worth the extra money.

No tanks to buy (at roughly $30.00 each, and you need at least two), and paying to refill them at $18.00-$20.00 a whack.

No running out of gas.

No drop in gas pressure.

The materials to run the line (pipe, fittings shut-off valves), cost me roughly $60.00.

Another_David

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I got the Weber 310 at Lowes. I had a similar experience: bought a Charbroil at Walmart cheap and it never really worked right. The guy at Lowes also told me what Login said: Weber doesn't run sales or permit much variance on pricing.

This is the one I got, with the knobs on the side (apparently there are variations). It kicks ass. It takes high temp to cook a steak right and this grill will do that, even in winter. I cooked a 1.5 lb london broil Sunday 4 min each side at full blast, with the temp needle pegged past 600 F and it came out black on the outside and med-rare in the middle, just the way I like it. Don't leave it on max. power for long unattended--one review on Amazon said it melted the siding off his house, which is what sold me on the model [thumbsup]

Only variation I didn't like is mine has porcelain grates, when I thought they were going to be cast iron. Hasn't made any difference actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4421001...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337708818&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm interested in finding out what you end up with!
I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of May, and into a house. Finally will be able to BBQ. It's been over a year... talk about being deprived!

qmmo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Troy - I bought mine, an all stainless model, online through Amazon.com a couple of years ago. Free delivery and the price was about $100 less than what the local HD would sell it for. I had to assemble it, but it wasn't that difficult....even for me.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I got my father a genesis for his 50th a few years ago from Home Depot. They were able to apply the military discount. I did have to assemble it, but I enjoy stuff like that. Home depot did apply a 10% mil discount. It's an incredible grill by the way, it cooks excellent.

Mike

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I recommend going with a local Hardware store. HD and Lowes have lower quality versions made from thinner steel and lower grade components and are able to price them lower as a result. Plus it's nice to support the local guys.

ETA: My local HW store just ran an advertisement with all the reasons to buy from them.
1. Higher quality.
2. They come assembled.
3. They're repairable.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One other nice thing about Weber is their warranty (almost on par with Dillion Reloading).

At my previous station, the guys kicked in to buy a 3 burner Weber for the back of the station.

Firefighters being firefighters, we managed to fuxor it up in 4-5 years (one of the burners, cross-over bar, grates, flavor bars).

I called around a few places to get an idea of cost of the replacement parts and it would have run around $60.00 (not counting the grates).

One of the places I called was wondering how could the parts failed that soon (I didn't tell him), and that Weber has a 10 year warranty.

He informed me to call Weber and they would replace the parts for free.

I took his advice, and sure enough within 4-5 days the parts were delivered to the station free of charge and no shipping costs.

Kitch

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weber grills are hands down the best grill out there. I have an old genesis had it 14 years now. New grates twice new flavorizer bars once new burn assembly once. I keep looking at new ones but my old one just cooks to good to replace it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a lot of research on them a while ago, and agree, just waiting for my Brinkman to crap out.

Previous post is correct about weber not discounting.

Best price I saw was a sale HD had at the end of the season last year. I happened to have been in the store in Salem NH about noon on a Friday, and noticed the flyer. Asked about availablilty. They told me flyer is out on Thu, when the store opened all available units sold in the first minute. The model was being updated for the upcoming year, and they were selling remaining inventory at a slight discount. Was sometime in sept. That might happen each year. If anyone on the forum knows an employee at HD/lowes would be interesting to know.

don't know if the hd/lowes models are different than what ace or truevalue has.

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I recommend going with a local Hardware store. HD and Lowes have lower quality versions made from thinner steel and lower grade components and are able to price them lower as a result. Plus it's nice to support the local guys.

ETA: My local HW store just ran an advertisement with all the reasons to buy from them.
1. Higher quality.
2. They come assembled.
3. They're repairable.

I was just going to post the same thing. Grills from HD, Lowes, or similar are NOT the same grill. Just like most of their household stuff...it's built on a "price point". One of the major shortcomings that I would not do without is the heavy stainless steel grates that you get from an authorized dealer.

I have no idea about Amazon. Maybe it's a mixed bag, but how can you be sure before you take delivery.

+1 on natural gas. Haven't filled a propane tank in years.

ETA: save 5%...go to NH.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you dead set on a gas grill? If you're willing to go charcoal (real charcoal, not that chemical briquette shit), buy a Big Green Egg, and never look back...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weber grills are hands down the best grill out there. I have an old genesis had it 14 years now. New grates twice new flavorizer bars once new burn assembly once. I keep looking at new ones but my old one just cooks to good to replace it.
Same Weber model for me. I bought it back in 1996. I've replaced a few parts to keep it looking good, nothing really needed replacement. I've got friends and neighbors who have gone through a half dozen other name grills while mine keeps on cooking. In addition to my propane model, I own a Weber charcoal model. It's even older.
IMHO: Weber is the best grill on the market.
Best regards.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure of the model as of yet. There are a couple I'm interested in. I'd love to do gas, but I live in a townhouse community and would never get that approved, so propane is it. I didn't realize that HD and Lowes had Webers. I always think of those places selling the crapy Charbroil type grills like the ones I've been getting. I'll go to an authorized dealer though and get one from them. I'm thinking a NH run might be in order.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weber Genesis B is the best grill i have even had . I've had it for ten years and just replaced the flavor bars. It even has the original igniter in it . +1 on the Natural Gas best thing i ever did never have to fill a tank. The warranty is awesome and they build them to last.

colt_fan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Check out the Kenmore Elite series from Sears. We've had ours for 8+ years. I use mine year round averaging 3-4x a week. I'm going to get a new one this year because I want a larger cooking area.

Another_David

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
HD and Lowes does sell Weber grills made for them, like the Weber 320 model, but they also sell the regular Weber grills too, like the Weber 310 I bought at Lowes.

I did a lot of research before I bought mine and got the Spirit 310, which was about $600. The models are confusing, there's also the Genesis 310, which is more like $800. These models are cheaper now on Amazon, I suspect they have newer models out now??? Note that some grills have the knobs on the side (original configuration) and then some have the knobs of the front, which means the burners are different (side to side vs. front to back respectively). From what I read the side to side burners run hotter and provide more even heat but that Weber has switched to the more traditional front knobs to appease the big box store customer that thinks it "looks funny".

Don't fall into the trap of bigger is better! One thing that was a real eye opener for me was looking at the burner configuration of the non-Weber grills at home depot ($1k+) and they didn't look evenly spaced at all nor even sufficient to heat the HUGE grill top. The burners look like they were placed to make the knobs look even on the front and NOT for optimum heating. Plus some of the non-Weber grills all use the same knob & burner combo even though the models vary in cook surface size! Seems like marketing really plays into what "curb appeal" grills have at the store. So do you research. Amazon has oodles of reviews and do some googling too.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I recently bought a Weber S330 at Lowe's, and it is easily the best gas grill I've ever owned. Every time I use it I like it better.

I don't believe there is any difference in quality between the Webers at Lowe's and same model Webers elsewhere - the prices were pretty much the same everywhere ($950), including at Amazon and Grills Direct, so I figured I'd go someplace where they don't ask questions if you want or need to return something.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try Percey's in Worcester. They have a good selection but I can't speak for the "deal" prices. I think every dealer has to charge the same, but I always like to see hand on what I'm purchasing - and it comes all put together. Bonus.

Top Bottom