Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
From above quote in Sect. 12 (I assume it's Ch. 269?):
slung shot, sling shot, bean blower
If this was law when I was in high school they could have convicted every student in chemistry class. Everyone bent glass tubing to shoot spit balls out of them. [thinking] [shocked] [wink]

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Have you considered actually talking with your neighbor and asking him to stop hitting golf balls onto your property?

Let's see.

The neighbor uses his backyard as a golf range.

In a relatively tight suburban neighborhood (1/2 -1 acre lots).

He is shooting the golf balls thru some relatively dense trees/brush. Some of the trees are 100ft or so high.

He bounces them off my house and my garage (located behind the house).

I'm taking a wild guess here - but he knows he is doing this. Therefore he is either doing it on purpose - or he is insanely stupid or a complete ignorant jackass.

Either way - I'm guessing that "talking to him" is not going to "fix" the problem.

Me: " Stop lobbing golf balls onto my property"

Neighbor: " are you crazy - I'm not doing that"

Me: "Ok then - so that's how it's going to be"

So far - there have been no broken windows, dents in any of my cars, and I have not gotten hit in the head. I find them in the grass. I hear them bouncing off the roof of my garage when I am inside, and I occasionally hear them bouncing off something when I am outside.

My guess is that the neighbor thinks he is being smart and getting away with something. He needs to know that isn't true. In a manner that shows him two can play the same game.

Going to him and saying "please sir stop hitting golf balls onto my property" - given his obvious state of social ignorance -is - I'm guessing - not going to do the trick.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would walk over there with a few golf balls, knock on his door and tell him to stop f#$%^ing hit golf balls at my house.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I don't recommend retaliation as you can be liable for any damage or injury that it incurs. But..... if you don't want to listen to the fun police, get one of those water balloon launchers. We use to launch golf balls a good 300-400 feet to hit an old water tower where we used to party.

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
A "slung shot" is not the same thing as a "sling shot."

Slung shot: A small, heavy weight attached to a strap or thong, used like a blackjack

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No one communicates anymore...We sit in out bubbles made of wood and vinyl siding, watching our flat screens and stewing about the neighbors dog shitting in our lawn, kids riding their bikes on the grass, late night pool parties, or golf balls clearing our fences...We cook up ways of retaliation, file lawsuits in small claims, call the police, or bitch about it on the internet, when all along - we might not realize that our neighbors may indeed be good people with a wayward chip shot.... Sad really....

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A "Slung shot" was a sailor's home-made weapon: A piece of shot ( grape shot) woven into the end of a piece of rope ( or line, or marline, or whatever) to create a blackjack-like item, to be used in the same way. That's why it has been lumped into the language in that place.
The "slung shot" wording was added to the law around the turn of the last century. Somebody here a while ago found the text of the original law (from 1906 I believe) where the wording was first added. Young hooligans used to use slungshots to steal purses with; Wack the lady in the head and take the purse while she's stunned. Like all great laws, they figured if they just outlawed the method, the crime would stop. Brilliantly succeeding, no purses have ever been stolen since [rolleyes]

MisterHappy said:
"Slingshots" were a (AFAIK) deliberate mis-read of the statute to make them "illegal"
No, it's just the usual confusion between C. 269 § 12 (carry and possession) and C. 269 § 12 (manufacture and sale). Slungshots cannot be manufactured, sold, or carried upon one's person or in a vehicle. Slingshots simply cannot be manufactured or sold.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI Wrist braced slingshots are/were illegal in NYS. Non braced ones were legal. Knew a kid that got his car searched he had a 10/22 and a wristrocket he got charged for the slingshot, rifle was legal.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
No one communicates anymore...We sit in out bubbles made of wood and vinyl siding, watching our flat screens and stewing about the neighbors dog shitting in our lawn, kids riding their bikes on the grass, late night pool parties, or golf balls clearing our fences...We cook up ways of retaliation, file lawsuits in small claims, call the police, or bitch about it on the internet, when all along - we might not realize that our neighbors may indeed be good people with a wayward chip shot.... Sad really....
That is some good poetry there.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
FYI Wrist braced slingshots are/were illegal in NYS. Non braced ones were legal. Knew a kid that got his car searched he had a 10/22 and a wristrocket he got charged for the slingshot, rifle was legal.
Yep.

http://www.slingshots.com/html/new-york-state-gun-laws.html
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0265.01_265.01.html

Class A Misdemeanor = up to a year in jail, and as I've posted about before, the court system in NYS is beyond the level of a bad joke.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I communicate. It freaks people out. Sort of weird actually, the amount of stress even mild friendly confrontation can produce. It's never bothered me, I'd much rather someone come talk to me than leave a note or resort to some other bs.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

What's sad is that people seem to think they do crap like drive golf balls in a suburban neighborhood - where the receiving end of that golf ball is likely to result in a broken window, dented car, or a trip to the emergency room.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump: Ignorant is as ignorant does.

He is communicating. He is communicating thru his (or her) actions the he (or she) doesn't give a crap about what he is doing - again - like I said: In a suburban neighborhood with 1/2 - 1 acre (max) lot sizes. I haven't played golf in probably 20 years - but I am pretty sure driving a golf ball approximately 300 feet is not a missed chip shot.

The problem is this: I have never actually caught this guy in the act. I don't walk around looking up at the sky all day long for falling golf balls. I have however been finding them in my yard for a good 2-3 years now. I have been out in my garage - and heard them bounce of the roof (sounded VERY loud as it bounced off the garage somewhere). I just found another ball in the yard 2 days ago. Judging by where it was - it hit the garage roof and rolled down and landed in the grass. I picked up one a few months back (heard it hit the back of the garage and went looking for it) - and found it lying in the grass at the back of the garage.

Given the angles and where the balls keep showing up - there is pretty much ONE likely candidate to be the person who is doing this. My direct next door neighbor on one side (side where the balls hit) is about 80 and doesn't play golf. The neighbor on the other side putts in his backyard once in a while - but is never around when I hear these things hit, the neighbor 2 houses down (on the side the balls hit) - has a clear shot - but was not around a couple of times when I heard a ball hit. So that - given where the balls hit - and given the lines of sight and so forth - leaves one likely candidate.

But - like I said - I haven't caught him red handed doing it. And I am unlikely to because there are tall trees and brush shielding his house from mine - with one big gap in the tree line that lines up directly with his yard and where the balls hit. Even if I run around the entire block to get there when this happens - he will likely be long gone.

Like I said in a previous post:

Me: "stop hitting golf balls into my yard"

Him: " I'm not doing that and don't accuse me of things like this"

Me: " ok then - so that's how it's going to be"

As soon as I accuse him of doing it - and he denies it. I am screwed. If just start lobbing HIS golf balls back at him - he is going to know - that I know who is doing it - BUT - he will be stuck with the same problem I have: he can't PROVE a damn thing.

Even if he decides to assume who did it - and calls the cops - the whole thing is going to play out for him - the same way it would play out for me:

Officer who shows up at my house: " sir are you sending golf balls into your neighbors yard?"

Me: " I don't know what you're talking about officer - I don't even play golf."

Officer: " one of your neighbors is complaining about golf balls hitting his house - he thinks it's you."

Me: " maybe it's the same person who has been lobbing golf balls at my house for the last 2-3 years. I can't figure out where they are coming from - if you catch the guy tell him to cut the crap".

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I communicate. It freaks people out. Sort of weird actually, the amount of stress even mild friendly confrontation can produce. It's never bothered me, I'd much rather someone come talk to me than leave a note or resort to some other bs.
If I caught this guy in the act - I would "communicate" in a way that - as you said - would freak him out.

I have a pile of these golf balls saved up. I could just wait this whole thing out and hope to catch him in the act sometime. But that is extremely unlikely IMHO. One of the options I have considered is to take a bunch of the golf balls - put them in a box - with a note telling him to cut the crap - and leave it in his mailbox.

The problem is that - the garage and the house have skylights in the roof. There are - as in most houses - multiple windows in both the house and the garage. I keep cars parked in the driveway ( I did find one golf ball in the driveway a couple of months back).

I don't want broken skylights, I don't want broken windows, and I don't want a broken windshield in one of the cars, or dents in the cars. Therefore the waiting it out option is getting pushed aside.

I was willing to forget about this - but it keeps happening. Therefore the neighbor is demonstrating a continuous ignorant streak in my opinion and is unlikely to stop. And sooner or later this is going to cause damage to my property.

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a pile of these golf balls saved up. One of the options I have considered is to take a bunch of the golf balls - put them in a box - with a note telling him to cut the crap - and leave it in his mailbox.
That's just F'n crazy!!! You want to give him more ammo?!?!?!

Bill

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use a golf club or have someone lob them and a baseball bat they get some power from that.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fingerprints.
Carefully collect new balls and save them in case your property is damaged. He'd have a very hard time explaining why you had so many balls with his fingerprints on them.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Fingerprints.
Carefully collect new balls and save them in case your property is damaged. He'd have a very hard time explaining why you had so many balls with his fingerprints on them.
[laugh2]

I think CSI has bigger problems then taking fingerprints off golf balls for a broken window.

Sully

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Get a friend to ring his doorbell. When he answers, be standing in the middle of his front lawn with a ball teed up with a driver and aiming at his house. Ask him if he's going to stop hitting golf balls at your house.

yanici

NES Member
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
You don't need a sling shot. you need one of these. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR225-7.html.

Launches golf balls up to 750ft with your AR and only cost $30. I'll bet with a little practice you could return his golf balls right through his kitchen window
I had to laugh at the last review that a guy sent in on the AR-Launcher. He wanted to try shooting a brick wall with the golf ball. His video would be on "Jackass" when the ball bounced back and crushed his jewels.[laugh]

Top Bottom