Good optic for my AR

+1 for the vortex sparc. Minimal magnification but a nice optic. If you can increase your budget, the Leopold VX-R is amazing.

Yea they are frigging beautiful but a serious boat anchor. I picked one up and thought I dropped a nut...

lol. they are nice but i think they weigh close to a pound. thats a lot on a carbine.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I think the strikefire 2 has better controls, an upgraded strikefire. I would get a prinary arns before the Vortex red dots though. Vortex makes excellent magnified scopes thoygh. I would get a micro red dot over any other format as they weigh almost nothing. And yes weight does matter even for a range toy.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

How about either Strikefire versus the Sparc?

Maybe I'd do a regular scope for .223 or something, and a red dot like one of these for a 9mm carbine.

Unless you are shooting long range precision or you need magnification for eye sight, a good red dot is all you need for almost any purpose. I would get a primary arms micro with an American Defense QD mount and try that out if you arent going to get an aimpoint. I would skip the SPARC as the controls suck and it is pricey. For magnified I like the 1-4 or 1-6 variable scopes for a carbine. They are good out to a range most people cant shoot that well anyway and they are lighter which is important. I dont get the 12x scopes on AR'S personally but I respect anyone's right to put whatever they want on their rifles. I have an AR with a 3x fixed, and a 300BLK with a 1-4 variable scope. Everything else including the Uzi had a red dot. Aimpoint H1 micros or primary arms micro sights. Once you shoot your red dot sight at different distances you get a good feel for holdover. For a man sized target magnification isnt all that important.

How about either Strikefire versus the Sparc?

Maybe I'd do a regular scope for .223 or something, and a red dot like one of these for a 9mm carbine.

I added some Troy sights A Troy pistol grip and a Troy modular combat grip today. I also had an old tasco propoint kicking around that I threw on it. The Tasco looks silly but I already had it. How terrible does it look to you?
7797f383e2d3ff2fdf1a2c37be8de504.jpg

I added some Troy sights A Troy pistol grip and a Troy modular combat grip today. I also had an old tasco propoint kicking around that I threw on it. The Tasco looks silly but I already had it. How terrible does it look to you?
7797f383e2d3ff2fdf1a2c37be8de504.jpg

i would lose that vertical grip, but thats just my shooting style.

What about the tasco does it look terrible? I like the vertical grip as of now but I will see after I shoot it.
of course it does, especially when you show up at the range in shorts and flip flops to try it out.[rolleyes] Use it till you get something you like.....

I dont want to knock your choices but why would you drop 200$+ on irons and plastic and only set a 200$ budget for optics.

Last edited:
Iron's for sure....I have a BURISS AR-536. Its 5x magnification makes it easier to find and engage targets out to 600 yards, I toss on mine from time to time but for the most part for what I do it is the Trusted and True Irons...Ya agree loose the vertical grip...

I do agree iron sights are good to have/know. although I hate buis for target shooting...hits on a 18"x18 " target from 10-200 yards well ok.
thing is now even the military is getting away from irons. heck I think the marines are the only ones left actually teaching marksmenship?

Iron's for sure....I have a BURISS AR-536. Its 5x magnification makes it easier to find and engage targets out to 600 yards, I toss on mine from time to time but for the most part for what I do it is the Trusted and True Irons...Ya agree loose the vertical grip...

Sell the sight and the grip, and use that money towards whatever it is you are going to get.

I do agree iron sights are good to have/know. although I hate buis for target shooting...hits on a 18"x18 " target from 10-200 yards well ok.
thing is now even the military is getting away from irons. heck I think the marines are the only ones left actually teaching marksmenship?

Coast Guard is too - although primarily pistol. Oddly enough, it's the small minority that qualifies on long guns, yet the overwhelming majority of operational folks are expected to qualify with pistol. One in four of them, at most, are expected to qualify on M16-A2, riot shotgun, or M-240B.

Half of my rifle is Troy industries (upper) and my lower is a Seekins precision. I was lucky and scored the complete lower for free, the upper was $399. The sights and both grips were also free. Again I am lucky.
HSS batman with that good luck to score so much for free SPLURGE BABY. get some nice glass!

Primary Arms Quality ??
I just had a primary arms 4x14 with 308 acss reticle shit the bed 3 magazines into breaking in the new sig 716 DMR

The reticle litterally just broke off inside tube an fell diagonally to the right . Sad and disappointing. But its made in china . Hopefully they will replace it and not charge me shipping

Back
Top Bottom