• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good optic for my AR

roccoracer

NES Member
I am looking to spend $200 on an optic for my AR. What do you recommend? This is my first AR so I call on your experience.
Thank you.
ygynegy5.jpg

Im not gonna lie, Ive spent everywhere from $25 - $600 for a RDS, and the one I routinely buy again and again is the bushnell TRS-25. I think Ive got 7 of them now. Its nothing terribly fancy but its now under $80 and it just works great, especially on a lower recoiling rifle like 22 or 5.56. I had one issue w one of my TRS-25's and bushnell replaced it within like 2 weeks.

ive got a TRS-25 on everything from my 10/22 to my semi-auto shottie, mini-14 and beretta storm.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM

I just got a primary arms micro dot. I was very impressed with how nice it was. Great eye relief and works awesome. If you get one with a mount get the Daniels defense QD mount. My two cents

I have had good luck with the tasco pro point. All said both of mine are older...mid 90s? They have been on everything from 22s to shotguns. Battery life is outstanding if you don't forget to turn it off...mine are the smaller tube 25mm ? The adjustments are rather course 1 moa @ 100 yards I believe.... plenty good enough for hunting or hits on target type of shooting.

Im not gonna lie, Ive spent everywhere from $25 - $600 for a RDS, and the one I routinely buy again and again is the bushnell TRS-25. I think Ive got 7 of them now. Its nothing terribly fancy but its now under $80 and it just works great, especially on a lower recoiling rifle like 22 or 5.56. I had one issue w one of my TRS-25's and bushnell replaced it within like 2 weeks.

ive got a TRS-25 on everything from my 10/22 to my semi-auto shottie, mini-14 and beretta storm.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM

Yup
Just put a TRS on my first AR build. Love it. Want another one now for my 15-22.

bought the vortex sparc 2 and pretty happy with it. comes with multiple height mounting options. great battery life. $199.00 on amazon.

Vortex Strikefire here.

opplanet-vortex-vortex-strikefire-ii-red-dot-4-moa-red-green-dot-w-lower-1-3-co-witness-cantilever-mount-sf-rg-501-main.jpg

Battery life up to 7000 hours depending on setting. Auto shut off. Red/Green Dot. I own 2 and love them.

What do you want to do with it? What range do you want to shoot it at? If you'll be doing any shooting past 100 yards, I'm a big fan of 1-4x variables. If you can stretch the budget to $300, look at the Burris Tac30.

Look at the Vortex Crossfire 1-4x. It's 199$, but you'll need rings. You can use it at 1x with both eyes open like a red dot (illuminated reticle), or use it like a regular scope. I have one on one of my SBRs, and I forsee more of them in the future.

Vortex Strikefire here.

opplanet-vortex-vortex-strikefire-ii-red-dot-4-moa-red-green-dot-w-lower-1-3-co-witness-cantilever-mount-sf-rg-501-main.jpg

Battery life up to 7000 hours depending on setting. Auto shut off. Red/Green Dot. I own 2 and love them.

+1 For the Vortex Strikefire red/green dot sight. Comes w/ 2x doubler, caps, and choice of low- or high-rise mount included. Simple dot reticle but w/ varying brightness is easy to set right. I've used it on my shotty (turkey shot and slugs), ruger gunsite rifle (long eye relief) and .308ar.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

What do you want to do with it? What range do you want to shoot it at? If you'll be doing any shooting past 100 yards, I'm a big fan of 1-4x variables. If you can stretch the budget to $300, look at the Burris Tac30.

This.

Primary arms and bushnell trs25 are great for that money. If it doesn't kill you, skip the cheap mounts that come with cheap optics and get the best possible mount you can get with the remaining money. A lot of the primary arms red dots are clones of more expensive units, some use the same mount. For example I have a primary arms micro dot on a blaster AK, i have it mounted on a Larue mount made for the Aimpoint T1/H1.

If i were working on your budget and wanted a good solid entry level optic like the PA micro dot, with the potential to upgrade to the aimpoint in the future, i would do $80-$125 for the optic, then go over to larue tactical, american defense, daniel defense, etc's site and get yourself a mount that will work with it. That way you know your PA is mounted on a excellent quality base and will give you the best performance it can. Also, if you end up breaking the PA or wanting to upgrade, you won't have to buy another mount.

Last edited:
Stick with Irons until you can afford a quality AR optic.

this

looking at the picture in the OP, I'm gonna say if you don't have irons on the rifle already take the money you were going to spend on optics and invest in some irons and get good with them until you can get something quality like derek said.

I was hoping someone had this and could chime in. The Nikon .223 models can be found on sale now and then.

edit: And it is right now. $40 off

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/91...-40mm-bdc-600-reticle-matte?cm_vc=subv1918271

I have this nikon p223, bought the 3-9x40 last year on sale at Lanbos armory for about $130 iir. I dont know good glass, but this works well enough for me for the money spent, i like it. Got the PEPR QD mount for it, which doesn't quite keep zero if you take it off and on, but stays put if you leave it on.

What is the difference between the Vortex Strikefire, Vortex Strikefire 2, and Vortex Sparc?

Do any of them have more than 1x?

That said, I had a chance to check out a Leupold HAMR from one of our NES members, and it was real nice, but not in this ballpark.

Back
Top Bottom