Good News in G.O.A.L. News Print Edition

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Feb. 2018, Page 7, bottom left:

You are now allowed to store 9,999 primers instead of less than 1k without "Powder Storage Permit".
if you are older than 18, a Mass resident and have an FID or LTC.

Not having to pay for the Storage Permit?... Priceless

Que'?

Old CMR:

527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess.
Without a special permit, you can store:
  • Not more than 9,999 rounds of rimfire ammunition
  • Not more than 9,999 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
  • Not more than 4,999 rounds of shotgun ammunition
  • Not more than 999 primers
  • Not more than 16 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 2 pounds of black powder

Last edited:
Que'?

Old CMR:

527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess.
Without a special permit, you can store:
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
  • Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition
  • Not more than 1000 primers
  • Not more than 16 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 2 pounds of black powder
Your numbers are wrong. Look at the CMR yourself. It was NMT 9999, 4999, 999, <16#, <2# respectively. Ridiculous since quantities aren't sold that way. All the other numbers stay as I noted them AFAIK.

Len, if nothing changed, do you know why the article was posted in the GOAL newsletter?

Thanks Len. That data was copy/pasted from a web site and they rounded up, which made the data incorrect.
Junk in/ Junk out as they say...

~Matt

Feb. 2018, Page 7, bottom left:

You are now allowed to store 9,999 primers instead of less than 1k without "Powder Storage Permit".
if you are older than 18, a Mass resident and have an FID or LTC.

Not having to pay for the Storage Permit?... Priceless
JC! You need a permit for everything in MA. Do they have a bathroom break permit yet?

I have an ammunition storage permit, it took one trip to the fire department, one week for them to investigate what it was, and $20 that has no expiration date. No big deal.

Yeah I'll take my chances and not get a permit. Don't want local city officials knowing what I have.

that's probably an automatic "crazy hoarder" diagnosis for them, buy too much fertilizer and FBI shows up, too many primers and you'll be on some radar.

No thanks, I like my supplies like Dims like their voters: undocumented.

Anyone ever try to get one of these permits in the City of Boston. I don't want to invite SWAT over to visit my house

I've heard rumor that Boston charges $50/yr. In the 'burbs it's no big deal and cost tends to vary between $0.00 and $20.00 for 2-5 years. No inspections/investigations here and no the FD doesn't talk to the PD, so they don't notify them about the permit. I can't speak to Boston however. I would suggest that the OP talk with Knuckledragger as he lives in the same gulag ;) and might have direct knowledge as to how BFD handles such requests.

I've heard rumor that Boston charges $50/yr. In the 'burbs it's no big deal and cost tends to vary between $0.00 and $20.00 for 2-5 years. No inspections/investigations here and no the FD doesn't talk to the PD, so they don't notify them about the permit. I can't speak to Boston however. I would suggest that the OP talk with Knuckledragger as he lives in the same gulag ;) and might have direct knowledge as to how BFD handles such requests.

Does anyone keep track of what each town charges? Kinda like the "green, red, black" town list for LTCs, but for ammo storage.

In Waltham it used to be $10/year, then it was $20, and now maybe $30. They never inspected my house and usually had trouble finding the forms, (and the serial numbers were always low, making me believe they didn't issue many)

Does anyone keep track of what each town charges? Kinda like the "green, red, black" town list for LTCs, but for ammo storage.

In Waltham it used to be $10/year, then it was $20, and now maybe $30. They never inspected my house and usually had trouble finding the forms, (and the serial numbers were always low, making me believe they didn't issue many)
No, I had a hard enough time tracking my own town. Back in the 1970s-early 90s it was free and 5 yrs, then $10 for 2 yrs and recently $5 for 5 yrs.

It is the same "fill in the blanks" form used for oil burner permits, burn permits, etc. They aren't serialized so I don't know what Waltham's problem is. They can check with the State Fire Marshal's Office for procedure and what form to use.

Thanks Len. That data was copy/pasted from a web site and they rounded up, which made the data incorrect.
Junk in/ Junk out as they say...

~Matt
This is why I always recommend going to source material (CMR) as someone thinking that rounding up for ease of typing is OK, and it changes what is legal unintentionally.

That reminds me, I need to run out on my lunch break today to pick up a permit to renew my LTC permit...

...I hope my permit to get the permit that allows me to renew my permit hasn’t expired, or, someone else’s whose name rhimes with mine hasn’t, or I’ll get delayed... again.

It is the same "fill in the blanks" form used for oil burner permits, burn permits, etc. They aren't serialized so I don't know what Waltham's problem is. They can check with the State Fire Marshal's Office for procedure and what form to use.

Waltham does seem to have a problem with forms.

I just looked at my old permits, and I might be mis-remembering. The permit number is something like "BPxx-01" where the 'xx' is the year. I don't know what "01" is, but I have a vague memory that I was the first person to get the permit in each year (and not early in the year).

Back
Top Bottom