• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOOD NEWS 6/8/17 New Info 6/5/17 WALLUM LAKE ROD & GUN CLUB- NOISE COMPLAINT

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
I would like to thank the members who came to the Burrillville Town Ordinance meeting to show their support for the club.

The committee voted unanimously to recommend no changes to the towns noise ordinance.

A victory for us today..

Tim Burdick,
President

The Burrillville Ordinance Subcommittee will be meeting to consider and act
on a request for an amendment to Sec. 16-35(6) of the noise ordinance on Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:30 pm in Town Council Chambers,
105 Main Street.
Harrisvill, RI

We need as many members as possible to attend !
An overly restrictive noise ordinance is as good as shutting us down....

BE RESPECTFUL !
BE CLEAR AND ARTICULATE !
BRING FACTS, NOT ATTITUDE !
DRESS AS APPROPRIATELY AS POSSIBLE !

It looks like someone is trying to cause problems for the WLR&G Club. I received the email from them today.

This Thursday, May 11th, the Burrillville town ordinance commitee will be hearing a complaint from an Uxbridge resident about noise from our club.

We as a club need to be well represented at this meeting so please try to attend.

The meeting will be held at 5:30 pm in the town hall located at 105 Main st Harrisville.
There is parking at the church just down the street.

Meeting postponed: The Thursday town council meeting has been postponed until next month. The noise ordinance has been removed from this months agenda and will be heard next month. Date and time will be posted as soon as we know.

Last edited:
We certainly hope so but unfortunately as we've seen some clubs have been closed down. Also WLR&G is in Rhode Island and the neighbor complaining is in Ma. so I don't know how things like this would be handled compared to a neighbors complaint in the same state. In 2 different states it might get more government involvement which most likely would not be good.

Again - Noise complaints against R&Gs are basically meaningless due to state law, right?

We certainly hope so but unfortunately as we've seen some clubs have been closed down. Also WLR&G is in Rhode Island and the neighbor complaining is in Ma. so I don't know how things like this would be handled compared to a neighbors complaint in the same state. In 2 different states it might get more government involvement which most likely would not be good.

Oh jeez didn't know that... Sounds confusing!

Change of plans. Meeting postponed: The Thursday town council meeting has been postponed until next month. The noise ordinance has been removed from this months agenda and will be heard next month. Date and time will be posted as soon as we know.

This is a good reason your club needs to be active and have constant range use. The louder you are on a regular basis the less likely you are to get the random noob move into the neighborhood without knowing you're there.

WLR&G is an active club so I'd say it would be hard for anyone not to know it's there.

This is a good reason your club needs to be active and have constant range use. The louder you are on a regular basis the less likely you are to get the random noob move into the neighborhood without knowing you're there.

After looking at the distance on a map, does that Uxbridge resident have superhuman hearing? I'm guessing the range is at least half a mile away.

Change of plans. Meeting postponed: The Thursday town council meeting has been postponed until next month. The noise ordinance has been removed from this months agenda and will be heard next month. Date and time will be posted as soon as we know.

I would be leery of this. I've seen where an item was dropped from a Hopkinton Town Meeting and they discussed it anyway. Luckily I was there for a different item on the agenda so I spoke up. Otherwise the whole thing could have happened without anyone knowing. I've also lived in Uxbridge and I wouldn't trust those folks not to pull this.

WLR&G is an active club so I'd say it would be hard for anyone not to know it's there.

I was going to say, it's like Harvard Sportsmens, RI edition. If its light out it would be a surprise to not hear some gunfire... [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
So the guy is in a different town and state? He can FOAD.

Also, RI has a range exemption for noise ordinances that applies to the club;

Firing ranges and their subsequent owners are exempt from regulations against noise pollution or excessive noise.

R.I. GEN. LAWS. § 11-47-62 (2011)

§ 11-47-62. Rifle Ranges--Immunity from prosecution--Criminal or civil

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of any general or special law, rule or regulation to the contrary, it shall be lawful for an owner of a rifle, pistol, silhouette, archery, skeet, trap, black powder, or other similar range to operate the range in excess of the applicable noise or noise pollution, law, ordinance or by-law, provided the owner of the range continues to be in compliance with any applicable noise control law, ordinance or by-laws in existence at the time of the construction of the range. No owner shall be liable in any action for nuisance, and no court shall enjoin the use or operation of the range on the basis of noise or noise pollution, provided the owner continues to be in compliance with any noise control law, ordinance or by-laws in effect at the time of the construction of the range.

(b) No standards in rules adopted by any state, city or town agency for limiting levels of noise in terms of decibel level which may occur in the outdoor atmosphere shall apply to the ranges exempted from liability under the provisions of this section.

(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize or permit an owner of a rifle, pistol, silhouette, archery, skeet, trap, black powder, or other similar range to change the use and/or type of said range, or to expand the use and/or type of the range.

So the guy is in a different town and state? He can FOAD.

Also, RI has a range exemption for noise ordinances that applies to the club;

Firing ranges and their subsequent owners are exempt from regulations against noise pollution or excessive noise.

R.I. GEN. LAWS. § 11-47-62 (2011)

§ 11-47-62. Rifle Ranges--Immunity from prosecution--Criminal or civil

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of any general or special law, rule or regulation to the contrary, it shall be lawful for an owner of a rifle, pistol, silhouette, archery, skeet, trap, black powder, or other similar range to operate the range in excess of the applicable noise or noise pollution, law, ordinance or by-law, provided the owner of the range continues to be in compliance with any applicable noise control law, ordinance or by-laws in existence at the time of the construction of the range. No owner shall be liable in any action for nuisance, and no court shall enjoin the use or operation of the range on the basis of noise or noise pollution, provided the owner continues to be in compliance with any noise control law, ordinance or by-laws in effect at the time of the construction of the range.

(b) No standards in rules adopted by any state, city or town agency for limiting levels of noise in terms of decibel level which may occur in the outdoor atmosphere shall apply to the ranges exempted from liability under the provisions of this section.

(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize or permit an owner of a rifle, pistol, silhouette, archery, skeet, trap, black powder, or other similar range to change the use and/or type of said range, or to expand the use and/or type of the range.

Mass has the same exemption for ranges. This dipshit is in the wrong in both states. Just point out the laws are the same and the problem should be theoretically solved.

I'm only going by the information given to me in the email but it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to pull something.

I would be leery of this. I've seen where an item was dropped from a Hopkinton Town Meeting and they discussed it anyway. Luckily I was there for a different item on the agenda so I spoke up. Otherwise the whole thing could have happened without anyone knowing. I've also lived in Uxbridge and I wouldn't trust those folks not to pull this.

- - - Updated - - -

The email doesn't say who the complainant is but it could be.

- - - Updated - - -

He'll be hearing lots of noise at the beginning of June during the state Trap shoot.[smile]

I was going to say, it's like Harvard Sportsmens, RI edition. If its light out it would be a surprise to not hear some gunfire... [laugh]

-Mike

and this club has lights for the trap fields....

That makes it even better. [laugh] I've shot pistol matches down there a few times and knew they had a bunch of wingshooting stuff, didn't know they had night shoots.

-Mike

Last edited:
Do I remember one of the moms weighing in on the suppressor debate and saying we just need to get earplugs? Send this guy to the moms - they seem to be the noise experts. Maybe you can find a quote on their page and bring it to the meeting.

Earplugs are cheap, easy and everyone will be happy.

^
This .
I've seen it done too.
Keeps the opposition from showing up to speak.
Then they'll blather on about "miscommunication" or some BS , but the vote was still taken.
Like the x-files, trust no one.

Noise complaint??? One of our fine NES'ers was out behind my house this past weekend with some sort of automatic weapon. (Didn't sound like a bump-fire type device.) Whomever he is, he's got a lot of $ to burn based on how many times a month he is out there in the warmer months. LOL

Noise complaint??? I'd rather some guy shooting guns a 1/4-1/2 mile from my house than those dildo's that ride their ATV's and dirt bikes on the street. F'ing White Trash! (Maybe they don't want to go into the woods and get shot. LOL)

Noise complaint??? One of our fine NES'ers was out behind my house this past weekend with some sort of automatic weapon. (Didn't sound like a bump-fire type device.) Whomever he is, he's got a lot of $ to burn based on how many times a month he is out there in the warmer months. LOL

Noise complaint??? I'd rather some guy shooting guns a 1/4-1/2 mile from my house than those dildo's that ride their ATV's and dirt bikes on the street. F'ing White Trash! (Maybe they don't want to go into the woods and get shot. LOL)

I would consider automatic gunfire to be an incentive to buy, personally. Any houses for sale in your neighborhood? [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom