Good Neighbor

union

NES Member
Seen plenty of bad neighbor threads but I thought maybe a good neighbor thread would be nice.

With that said I have to give my neighbor some major props. He is a gifted machinist which is his trade, has a small set of tools in his basement and is always willing to help. He is also a fellow shooter. He has done many favors for me which in turn I repay when I can. The other day I went over for a little help cutting my kids pinewood derby car. He has a band saw which makes it super quick and easy. I showed him the 1911 I picked up and we talked a little bit about getting a bushing wrench for it. Not terribly pricey but not the easiest thing to find in the stores in my experience. Low and behold a couple of days later he shows up at my door with this. Works perfectly. He 3d printed it and said if I need others just ask. Guess I owe him a round or two at Addieville or some time on the range at Hopkinton.

Attachments

• 20230208_163827.jpg
    20230208_163827.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 152
Was it Mark Twain who said that bad news travels around the world while good news is putting on its shoes? I like this post. I’m blessed to have good people on all sides of me. Decent, honest people who don’t cause problems seem to be in short supply these days but I’m surrounded by them.

Was it Mark Twain who said that bad news travels around the world while good news is putting on its shoes? I like this post.
And I like this quote (or paraphrase)! It’s especially true nowadays with the 24 hour news cycle.

I’m of the opinion that we’re all ‘here’ and in this time for a very specific purpose. What that is remains to be seen, but I think we’ll all find out soon enough.

And I like this quote (or paraphrase)! It’s especially true nowadays with the 24 hour news cycle.

I’m of the opinion that we’re all ‘here’ and in this time for a very specific purpose. What that is remains to be seen, but I think we’ll all find out soon enough.
Given my recent experience which we discussed in DM, I can absolutely attest to this.

My neighbors across the street are awesome. We had to spend all day at the hospital for my GF's sinus surgery which was supposed to just take a few hours. I called them up and they came over and let my dog out for a few minutes. They also warned me that I needed to buy a generator, which I have used half a dozen times now, and have given me tons of useful gardening tips.

Nothing to add to the thread but your post brought up good memories of me and my dad putting together my pinewood derby car. Let’s be honest though. Most of the cars were mostly done by the dads. LOL.

Nothing to add to the thread but your post brought up good memories of me and my dad putting together my pinewood derby car. Let’s be honest though. Most of the cars were mostly done by the dads. LOL.
You should have seen the clear acrylic vacuum tube I built for a hs science project proving that in a vacuum a feather and paper clip drop at the same rate. It had electric timers and other items on it.

There was no way a female hs student made this. 😂

My 1911 came with a bushing wrench but I've never understood the purpose. Are there models where it's too difficult to just push in the plug in with your finger and rotate the bushing?
I brought a 1911 for a trigger job a couple years ago, replace small springs, polish, inspect etc.

He replaced the guide rod from Sig (half rod) for a full size guide rod that I didn’t ask for. The end cap or recoil spring cap he put on was an open style rim so it felt like pushing your fingertip down on a sharp rounded edge because of the thinness of it (best way I can describe that) and a longer stronger spring because ‘full size GR’, it was actually painful and very difficult for me to push in without a tool.

I had to go back to the half rod and closed end cap from the factory so it breaks down easily with no tools in the field if needed. Maybe I’m on a short list for this being a problem due to a bad hand, but it was a problem for me nonetheless.

I brought a 1911 for a trigger job a couple years ago, replace small springs, polish, inspect etc.

He replaced the guide rod from Sig (half rod) for a full size guide rod that I didn’t ask for. The end cap or recoil spring cap he put on was an open style rim so it felt like pushing your fingertip down on a sharp rounded edge because of the thinness of it (best way I can describe that) and a longer stronger spring because ‘full size GR’, it was actually painful and very difficult for me to push in without a tool.

I had to go back to the half rod and closed end cap from the factory so it breaks down easily with no tools in the field if needed. Maybe I’m on a short list for this being a problem due to a bad hand, but it was a problem for me nonetheless.
I hope you weren't charged for these "upgrades."

I hope you weren't charged for these "upgrades."
I was. Wasn’t thrilled about it and didn’t know it would be a problem until I got back home and tried to break it down to check it out. I liked the guy so I just put them in the spare parts box with a mental note to be very specific about what I want or don’t want done next time. I do trust that he thought he was helping me out and not purposely trying to stick it to me. The hand issue is mine and he couldn’t have known that. Lesson learned about specificity.

Back
Top Bottom