Good luck MA archers!!

totally blew it today... a nice looking two spike buck walked in front of me, came to within 10 yards right in front, broadside, head behind a tree, shot below it I think. It jumped away, circled back and gave me another shot at 25-30 yards, I think my arrow went high - maybe it jumped the string. It milled around a bit at a safe distance and almost circled back a third time, but I guess it finally had enough and walked back in the direction it came from. Was certain I completely missed the 2nd shot, but must have just grazed it. Had a drop of blood on one vane, found a few drops of blood on the ground, but there wasn't much of a trail. Would have been my first deer while bowhunting.... [sad]

yeah... I'm not real happy about it.
Circled around trying to find a blood trail for about 2 hours, didn't find anything except a few spots in the immediate vicinity. I'm confident the deer is quite fine and perhaps even a bit wiser now.

Friday night, 6:15 , heard some twigs snap behind to my right. I prep, but nothing. I sit back down , then suddenly to my left comes 3 does, 15 yards out. One pauses between 2 saplings, but it's too dark for me to make a clear shot. They run off after about 15 seconds. its too dark to stay and I start the descent. Then, after my first step down I hear more snapping, coming from the same spot that was behind me and to my right. So, 4 deer 5 mins before closing time. Bamboozled again.......

Last edited:
First post on NES. First deer with my bow

Got her Saturday afternoon around 3. The weather was horrible, almost didn't go out, I wasn't expecting to see anything. She came came in with 4 other does.

Came in to about 15 yards from my tree-stand. The shot was a little high, entered the top the back went through the lungs into the belly and went all the way into her back leg. Only went about 50-60 yards before she went down.

Dressed out at 105. Had a nice layer of fat in her belly.

photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 55
Really quiet day in the stand so far. Wind is really swirling and doing all kinds of funky things. Don't know if I'll see anything today. Shold be a good day on the back of a front with a rising barometer, sunny skies and cold weather. But so far all I have to show for the effort is a runny nose.

Got her Saturday afternoon around 3. The weather was horrible, almost didn't go out, I wasn't expecting to see anything. She came came in with 4 other does.

Came in to about 15 yards from my tree-stand. The shot was a little high, entered the top the back went through the lungs into the belly and went all the way into her back leg. Only went about 50-60 yards before she went down.

View attachment 118654

Congrats. Worst part about hitting the stomach is the smell when your gutting it.

Congrats on the first bow kill !!

View attachment 118654

congrats!!

Nice brisk morning today! Perfect for deer hunting! Harvested this guy this morning...I was surprised when I went to the check station and saw that he dressed out at 170lbs!!

20141103_074633.jpeg

Nice brisk morning today! Perfect for deer hunting! Harvested this guy this morning...I was surprised when I went to the check station and saw that he dressed out at 170lbs!!

View attachment 118696

Damn dude. seems like you're always tagging big deer. Nice man.

I sat in the stand all day. Had 3 shooters go by. All out of range at about 80 yards in the thicket. I need to relocate my stand. Looks like they've stopped using the run near my stand in lieu of another one that runs parallel to it but farther from my stand.

I think my trail cam may have spooked them. I changed it to capture video and I see several deer looking right at it at night - doing the stomp. I've got to re-mount it one stick high I think so it doesn't bother them..

They were moving today for sure...

Thanks guys! The woods were really alive this morning coyotes came through around 530, raccoons wandered by and then the buck! Here he is seconds before I shot him right in front my my trail cam! He's tensed up because he saw me draw and I thought for sure he was gonna take off.
IMAG0041.jpg
Prebanman...any chance those deer have figured out your stand spot... a couple years ago I had the matriarch doe of the area with 3 other younger doe start taking a route about 30 yards further away from my stand because she picked me out of the tree one day and they continued to take they route for the rest of the season...Is your camera an infrared? I've had better luck with not scaring game with the infrared...would like to get one of the black IR cameras...change the location or angle it differently to catch the deer as they go by moving away from the camera?...

Thanks guys! The woods were really alive this morning coyotes came through around 530, raccoons wandered by and then the buck! Here he is seconds before I shot him right in front my my trail cam! He's tensed up because he saw me draw and I thought for sure he was gonna take off.
View attachment 118736
Prebanman...any chance those deer have figured out your stand spot... a couple years ago I had the matriarch doe of the area with 3 other younger doe start taking a route about 30 yards further away from my stand because she picked me out of the tree one day and they continued to take they route for the rest of the season...Is your camera an infrared? I've had better luck with not scaring game with the infrared...would like to get one of the black IR cameras...change the location or angle it differently to catch the deer as they go by moving away from the camera?...

I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm going to pull the camera and relocate to a different tree. The camera I have is a el-cheapo Moultrie. It has IR but you still see the LEDs illuminated when you look at it. Anyway - some minor adjustments and I hope to be back on track next time out.

Back
Top Bottom