• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good Lord

Mulling over a new rifle that I currently don't have dies for. Looked at some of the guys that will ship for factory ammo so's to be able to put the gun in service right away. Do folks actually pay that much for ammo?Holy Cow !!! That would make me take up archery real quick let me tell you!!!!

yup, and that’s why I load for my rifles. The investment in dies is well worth it even if you don’t shoot it much. You can always sell the dies if that’s the case. But, you already knew all that.

Mulling over a new rifle that I currently don't have dies for. Looked at some of the guys that will ship for factory ammo so's to be able to put the gun in service right away. Do folks actually pay that much for ammo?Holy Cow !!! That would make me take up archery real quick let me tell you!!!!

I have sold several firearms because cheap ammo for them was over $1 a round. and that was not even when ammo price/availability was nuts.

I reload about 2 dozen calibers but just bought brass, bullets and dies for a caliber I don't reload yet. I reload for several reasons and the high cost of factory ammo is one of them.

The investment in dies is well worth it even if you don’t shoot it much.
yeah, i agree. i still own every die set i've bought over the years, some calibers i've not shot in 25-30 years. anyone remember the 7 international from their ihmsa days? yep, i still have the dies! lol

Looking at my 1979 International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association black and yellow patch right now

7.5x55 Swiss is probably the most expensive caliber I reload. IF you can find ammo online it’s damn near $1 per round. F that.

So what rifle were you looking at?! ;)
We may have talked about it on the way up to Pioneer... I don't even recall.
Currently the rifle rounds I reload are 7.62x51 and .30carbine. I just picked up a .223 die set, and have 500 53gr Match King bullets. I believe I can use non-magnum small pistol primers for that cartridge but I have to look into it more. Then I have to pick a powder to use. I rarely shoot the AR anymore but I want to see if I can work up a load that will be accurate out to 200 yards.

You have not priced out goid quality bows/heads ectect...lol
What are you looking at?

So what rifle were you looking at?! ;)
We may have talked about it on the way up to Pioneer... I don't even recall.
Currently the rifle rounds I reload are 7.62x51 and .30carbine. I just picked up a .223 die set, and have 500 53gr Match King bullets. I believe I can use non-magnum small pistol primers for that cartridge but I have to look into it more. Then I have to pick a powder to use. I rarely shoot the AR anymore but I want to see if I can work up a load that will be accurate out to 200 yards.
I picked up a Model 7, the one with 18 inch barrel and sights, 7mm08. Seems to shoot OK with Hornady Whitetails ( @ a $1 a pop), carries and handles like a dream. I put a 2-7 Leupold I had on it and it just jumps right up to the eye. Wish I was young enough to use the irons, it would be a fabulous iron sight gun.
Working on making a pile of donor brass right now, I'll come up with the "pet" load for next year. Headed up tomorrow night to hunt Fri-Sat. Supposed to be cold, but it also seems that rut thing is on, and a few pretty decent ones been killed.

223's a good one to reload. I've seen a few ( none were mine unfortunately) that really shoot like a bastard. In fact one was D. Poole that you shoot with. He might be a great source of info for you.

Back
Top Bottom