Good locks for locking factory gun cases?

Varmint

NES Member
I prefer to lock the gun case instead of using a trigger or slide lock - can anyone recommend a combination lock for doing this?

The cable locks even looped twice aren't good, you can pry open the box and grab the gun.

Edit: I just want to comply with state law.

Maybe luggage cable locks?

517sivagD7L._SX342_.jpg

Something like this maybe but it's $18!

41FoCrAJhaL.jpg

Last edited:
For strictly compliance I have two sets of locks.

First set of six are tiny luggage locks for my soft cases, all keyed alike.

Second is a set of four 1/4"x2" Master locks, keyed alike. These are for my Pelican and similar cases.

Thanks guys, I'll try the luggage locks. Good idea to get matching keys, that'd be easier than a bunch of combination locks.

You might want to reconsider combos vs keyed. With the combo locks, you can reset them all to the same number and never worry about a key, and if you buy more in future, can always set the same.
Was so mad one day I showed up at the range w/o the right key for a trigger lock.

You might want to reconsider combos vs keyed. With the combo locks, you can reset them all to the same number and never worry about a key, and if you buy more in future, can always set the same.
Was so mad one day I showed up at the range w/o the right key for a trigger lock.

^^^^ THIS .... I got the "Brinks" combination locks for all my cases and set them to the same combination.

I've got about a dozen cable locks, all keyed the same (was about $35); I have a couple dozen keys that came with them, so I don't even worry about losing them. [laugh]

If I ended up at the range without a key, I'd just end up snapping the lock off.

Yeah, I forgot you can get resettable combo locks, I like that idea.

Another vote for the combo. With the three number locks, I put two of the numbers to their actual number and rotate the third one one off. Lock is locked, but very quick access.

Another vote for the combo. With the three number locks, I put two of the numbers to their actual number and rotate the third one one off. Lock is locked, but very quick access.

Yeah, my locks just need to keep out a 3 year old and state prosecutors. The former being the more clever.

I think every one of those 3 wheel combo style locks I have seen was able to be changed to your choice of code.

The Master lock luggage ones are only $7 if you don't mind their random color selection
http://smile.amazon.com/Master-Lock-4688D-Accepted-Assorted/dp/B000WO84Z2/

I like the Master lock combo trigger lock if you need any of those.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SQM9/

You guys that like keys, they have some multi packs (6,12,24,or48) of the keyed alike trigger locks, just search "keyed alike trigger locks" on Amazon

Edit: I just want to comply with state law.

If that is all you care about then the cheapest possible lock qualifies.

Other than the law, there is really no point to locking a typical plastic case since they can be cut open with the dullest of knives. Or you can just grab the lock with pliers and just twist it until is snaps through the pathetic little plastic loop the lock goes through.

If that is all you care about then the cheapest possible lock qualifies.

Other than the law, there is really no point to locking a typical plastic case since they can be cut open with the dullest of knives. Or you can just grab the lock with pliers and just twist it until is snaps through the pathetic little plastic loop the lock goes through.

It really is a stupid law.... Even a lock on the zipper of a soft case is OK.
I always just used a trigger locks until I realized that was technically afoul of the law for transporting in vehicle w/o locked trunk.

I wouldn't even bother with trigger locks. Padlocks are legal for storage or transport.

A copy of each key is on the ring with my car keys. A copy is on the ring with my gun club keys. And my regular shooting partner has a copy of each key.

I prefer a larger key padlock that is fully M******* compliant. However not good for airplane travel

Sent from the blind

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412891815072.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412891815072.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 28

The HK cases have such a tiny hole I don't think any cable could go through it - I want to wrap the lock around the handle, which is like 1.5" tall. The luggage locks might work.

This. I always, always buy combo trigger locks. No keys to lose for what, an extra buck?

Back
Top Bottom