Good Lever Action Rifle Suggestions

I'm thinking of getting my Dad a lever action rifle in the relatively near future. He's not big into shooting but he's always thought lever action guns were cool and I think he'd really enjoy one. I'm looking for suggestions on a good make and a good caliber. .22 would be cheap to shoot but I think he'd like something with a little more bang. .38/.357 would probably be a good option but I haven't seen too many around. Any suggestions?

Isn't the Winchester 94 30-30 the classic lever action? I admit I know little about levers though.

The winchester 94/22 is pretty handy to have laying around. It'll even eat .22 shorts, which sound like someone clapping. We used to use these for pest control out west.

And there is usually no shortage of 30-30 lever guns. Which has probably killed more deer in North America than any other rifle or caliber. If I'm headed to Maine during hunting season, I usually default to my Marlin 1895G. As that 45-70 seems to be the perfect Maine brush gun.

What's the recoil like on the 30/30? I've never shot one. I'm assuming the .38/.357 is much less. Whatever I get I want to make sure it's enjoyable for him to shoot.

Most factory loads are pretty light in that .45-70. But there are some impressive heavy rounds out there for it.

Also been considering a lever gun to add to my collection. Heavily leaning towards .22 so I don't add another caliber to my collection. Although, if I went .357 it would give me reason to add a revolver to my collection too - - since those 9mm revolvers are few & far between & also a PITA.

I recently picked up the Henry in 357 as i shoot and reload that caliber. It is very easy to shoot and a lot of fun but it took me 6 months to find one. Zappa is an expert on levers and there are several threads on this topic. Good luck!

I have my dad's 1953 Winchester model 94 in 30-30 and he hunted with it for over 20 years in Western Maine, Richardson Lakes region, taking a deer every year, so ya, it's my favorite and still shoots great!

I have a Winchester 9422 xtr, great little rifle and cheap to shoot,
you can also shoot the CCI CB LONGS through it, nice and quiet
so the neighbors don't hear you.

Henry

You won't find a better gun at a better price.

They are gorgeous...and extremely well made.
X2! Took my son out to the range today for the second time with his .22 henry and I am amazed at how well he shoots it. Last week he was hitting a paper plate sized group at 50 yards with the stock open sites and today he has narrowed that down to about a fist sized shot group at 50 yards. Such a beatiful looking rifle and smooth as glass to operate. Can't wait to put a scope on it now and see what he can do with it. I am a revolver guy and love my .357 so.......I am toying with the idea of picking one up in .357/.38.....but yes they are hard to find in that caliber.

The recoil of the .30/30 isn't bad to me but if your father doesn't shoot much he may think it's excessive. It kicks harder than the 7.62x39 (AK47 SKS) but less than the .308 Winchester. It's a lot louder and more expensive than the .38/.357. If you want a pistol caliber rifle, I'd suggest one originally designed for pistol calibers. Winchester 1860,1866,1873,1892 or Marlin 1894. The Winchester 1894 was designed for rifle length calibers and the short pistol calibers don't always function well. If you want a .30/30, the Winchester 1894 and the Marlin 1893 are the most common.

I love lever guns. I have a marlin in 44 mag and a Savage m99 in .300 savage I have been back and forth on getting rid of. I even converted a paintball gun to a lever action. So much fun

I love my Henry .22 Goldenboy. 16 rnds in the tube, which is why I could never bring myself to get a .22 AR and be capped at 10 here in MA.

Also have a Puma in .44 mag and it is a good lever at a good price. .357 would save some money on ammo, but I like having a heavy in a lever.

I love my Henry .22 Goldenboy. 16 rnds in the tube, which is why I could never bring myself to get a .22 AR and be capped at 10 here in MA.

I just saw the new Uberti Silverboy today at Shooters Outpost, first one I've ever seen, it was very nicely made.
I think I drooled a little on it.
However, they're not cheap, they MSRP for more than the Henry Goldenboy.

Silverboy Lever Action

uberti_silverboy_c.jpg

30-30 is going to be the most common. Not to mention its very common to find ammo - even in todays mass ammo buying rush.

However -- I use a 45-70 (Marlin 1895 - 20in barrel) for Deer hunting here in NH.

Its an amazingly powerful rifle - yet mild recoil (unless your shooting the 405 grains)

Knocks down deer like a freight train (and they never get back up).

If I was to buy another one - I'd get the 1895 again - except in XLR with the 24in barrel

Aside from that - no regrets.

30-30 as already recommended, and it is a good deer rifle caliber

There are various pre-64 Winchester 94's out there in Win 32 special, tho, that is an expensive caliber.

Whatever you are contemplating, do your research on them, as models and years of production can vary in quality.

I have been thinking about a Marlin 336. Any complaints or concerns? I haven't found anything in my research... (any years to avoid?)

I have been thinking about a Marlin 336. Any complaints or concerns? I haven't found anything in my research... (any years to avoid?)

I have a 336W I bought from Dicks sporting goods -- came with the scope onsale for 349.

its 30-30, good for 150 yard or less rifle. At 100 yards on a leadsled using that fancy Hornady ammo I can shoot just about 1" groups

Ammo is common

enough said....

Should not have read this thread. Just e-filed my taxes getting an $1800 return and this reminds me of the good old days of hunting with my dads Model 94 30-30, and now being an owner of a 357 magnum this would be a great addition. I also have been thinking of a first gun to buy my 10yo, wonder if he would like a lever action 22.

Should not have read this thread. Just e-filed my taxes getting an $1800 return and this reminds me of the good old days of hunting with my dads Model 94 30-30, and now being an owner of a 357 magnum this would be a great addition. I also have been thinking of a first gun to buy my 10yo, wonder if he would like a lever action 22.

Level actions are wonderful. My personal favorite for hunting in NH

I do have to say I use my 1895 in 45-70 more than the 336 in 30-30.

I like that freight train hitting power - as I said in a prior post - never had one move or get up from it.

Just bought my 357 revolver last year and due to the ammo situation not really seen many options but do they make decent deer cartridges for the 357 out of a rifle? I have my 308 but thinking if I take the kid even though my dad already said he has full use of the model 94. I'm thinking my hornady xtp's or gold dots would not make a good deer cartridge.

Edit: first place I checked does have some, Winchester Super X.

Last edited:
I've never hunted with 357 mag in a rifle.

Marlin makes a nice model to handle it - Marlin Model 1894C

But have no useful insight in take down power or distance (my guess is nothing farther than 100 yard - and I think thats pushing it)

I've used only the 45-70 and 30-30 in levers.

New production Henry... Older stuff marlin or Winchester will do ya just fine! I have no personal expieriance with Rossi so can't offer an opinion of them... Oh and levers are tons of fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and a Henry 22 with super colibris is a recipe for a good time even in your basement if need be! :)

Henry .22's are awesome, US made and priced nicely. Great shooters. I picked up a Marlin 39a though and love shooting that as well. Can't go wrong with a .22 lever action, ammo will be available and no mag limits on a tube fed (yet!!)

I would like to find a nice on in .357/.38 - could reload for it and shoot cheaply. I've seen a few and are pricey.

Discussion here with personal ownership experiences: best year 336

How to Determine Date of Manufacture: http://www.homedefenseweapons.net/2402-marlin-336-year-of-manufacture-date-codes/

Caution on late models: http://www.homedefenseweapons.net/2460-how-to-identify-an-original-marlin-336-from-a-remlin/

Complaint Example on late model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUOrbeQNi2E

Also: Older models - Look for JM in a circle on the lower left side of the barrel (near the receiver).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom