• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good info on self defense bullets

Awesome charts. Nice post. ~Thanks

this helps in selecting a winter round, i see some rounds penetrate with more consistency than others, will buy and run some of the deeper rounds.

Thanks for sharing. I use Speer short barrel 124 gr +p in my Shield. For all my full size guns I use Federal HST 124 gr +p. Both of which had good performance.

Nice! Trying to look at on phone but will dig into it more when I get to a bigger venue. Thanks for posting.

Probably a stupid question, but why do people always use gelatin that is at least 3 times as wide as a human torso? Isn't the resulting 'wound cavity' beyond a certain point irrelevant or does the gelatin composition accurately resemble the same distance in a human body? Not sure if I'm making sense....

Probably a stupid question, but why do people always use gelatin that is at least 3 times as wide as a human torso? Isn't the resulting 'wound cavity' beyond a certain point irrelevant or does the gelatin composition accurately resemble the same distance in a human body? Not sure if I'm making sense....

The gel simply provides for a consistent test medium with measurable travel and therefore a basis for comparisons. If the gel was thinner then rounds would simply pass through and you would end up with less data to compare.

The gel simply provides for a consistent test medium with measurable travel and therefore a basis for comparisons. If the gel was thinner then rounds would simply pass through and you would end up with less data to compare.

Right, but if the data being compared happens at 12"... Why is it worthwhile to know or compare unless your anticipated target is obese?

Right, but if the data being compared happens at 12"... Why is it worthwhile to know or compare unless your anticipated target is obese?
You want to catch and recover the bullet, rather than having it pass through all of the gel. That gives you a better idea of how the bullet behaves and expands because, well, the bullet is right there in front of you in the gel. Also, gel is just a simulation of human skin, bone, and tissue - 12" in gel is only an approximation of 12" in a torso and probably isn't the exact identical distance, as there are too many variables.

So, essentially, if a bullet expands properly outside of the length of a normal human torso, it's a failure, right? I suppose I'm nitpicking.

This shows the importance of shooting until your opponent is out of the fight.
5 pills per person would most likely ensure that...

Been carrying the Federal HST 147 grain standard pressure in my 9mm and the HST 230 +P in my .45.

Kind of surprised to see the 147 grain with the same expansion as the 124 grain in 9mm. That's not what I've seen on other tests where the 147 grain opened up a lot more than the 124 grains. Think I will just stick with what I have for now.

In the 230 grain .45 the standard pressure average expansion was actually better than the +p but one of the +P rounds didn't expand at all which I have never seen before in any HST test. I guess it can happen to any of them on rare occasion. Had they all expanded I think the +p expansion would have been a little more than the standard pressures and give the slightly better penetration and teeny bit higher velocity. Again, I think I'll stick with the 230 grain +Ps for now.

When I can get the Federal 50 round LE boxes for $20 for the 9mm and $28 for the .45 it is really hard to beat them for the price.

Back
Top Bottom