1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Good Indy Audi (german) mechanic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr.E, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

Chris at European Auto in Northborough.

2. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

I strongly recommend avoiding the Audi V8 powered 'S' cars. IIRC, they did improve the timing chain tensioners during or before 2011, which has reduced the timing chain failure issue but it's still that design that has the timing chain at the back of the engine. HUGE bucks to replace, even at an independent shop. Friend of mine bought the V8 S4 (I think 2011) and still had the timing chain issue. Cost him $3500 at an independent shop.

The V6 versions (older then again newer than the V8) have timing belts on the front of the engine and are not terrible to replace. I've done my own on an older S4 B5. Essentially you pull the front bumper assembly and ALL the crap on the front of the engine, but at least the engine stays in the car unlike the V8.

I think there's a reason they stopped using the V8 for the S4's and S5's. Cool car, so it depends upon your level of risk acceptance and/or $$$ to spend on potential repairs.

3. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

Among other projects, he has a v6T supercharged engine from a late model s6 sitting on a palet, going into one of his own cars.
    His wife daily drives an A8, kids, dogs and all.
    Today he had a RS6 twin turbo v8 in for power steering hose issues.
    And he is spending time tearing apart teslas, and hot rodding ev projects with that crazy tesla guy on youtube.

4. Mr.E

Mr.E

Understood. I would factor timings chain, carbon cleaning, suspension work, and clutch into the price. But for what new cars go for that would still get you into a 350HP car with real AWD for less than what your average boring grocery getter is selling for..

Mountain and silversquirrel like this.
  5. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

How about a vanilla 2.0T A5, and do the whole turbo and software game? Doing the suspension anyway, right? Get some S5 seats from a boneyard.

6. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I had a modded A4 Avant and it was bullet proof for me. Lots of preventive maintenance, but nothing major happened. Then my whore of an ex-wife got it in the divorce (I had 2 other cars at the time) and I heard she totaled it within 9 or so months.

SKumar likes this.
  7. dw617

dw617 NES Member

Audi's "VAG COM" software always makes me laugh...

Just had to do a steering rack on an A4 B7; what a royal PITA. Everything is complicated on these cars. I can pull the steering rack in my BMW and put it back in less than an hour. However, the Audi is fun to drive

8. bfm

bfm NES Member

Sorry for your loss. I miss my Avant everyday.

citoriguy likes this.
  9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

When I was looking at S5s the level of grousing on the V8's was like 2 - 3 x the newer V6 variants. The supercharged V6 in the 2015 was pretty decent
    motor compared to many.

-Mike

Mountain likes this.
  10. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Don't forget about that VR6 rumble. Amazing sound! Better than the Subaru EJ engine.

andrew1220 likes this.
  11. Mr.E

Mr.E

V8 or bust ;)

new guy likes this.
  12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

I don’t know my buds 2011 S4 V8 was very reliable and he has about 96,000 miles on it
    Pretty Quick also

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  13. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Poke around on the audizine board. They will better answer your questions. I bet one of the board members was the previous owner of said car.

14. jaymce

jaymce

Hands down Joe at Top Gear if your in the Northshore area.

andrew1220 likes this.
  15. roccoracer

roccoracer NES Member

This thread makes me regret a few choices I made. A little while back I bought a 2003 Audi TT roadster 225 for $1900. The previous owner spent a metric sh## ton on repairs and the clutch went so he put it on ebay with no reserve. I have always dreamed of owning that exact car. It took me 30 hours mostly on my back to replace the clutch but I was only into the car now for $2500. I absolutely loved it!
    One of my firefighters came to my house with a fist full of cash asking to buy it. Regrettably I sold it to him for $6k. Im still angry with myself. tapatalk_1562794965735.jpeg

16. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

They are affordable to buy now because you need the money you save to fix them.
    The same reason all these german cars are cheap after just a few years. The people who can afford these cars new know in 3 years 20-35k they are slipping into a new one.
    Personally i hate german cars, over engineered and horrible electronics . German mentality is you replaced XYZ at ABC miles weather needed or not.
    These kinds of things come down to......do you love the car.
    same with jeep owners. True jeep lovers know they will be sinking coin into thier jeep. They just dont care.

SKumar and andrew1220 like this.
  17. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Its tough for small shops. Also depends on number of bays.
    Get a car hung up on a lift longer than planned and really sets you back.
    If you need your car back by noon you go to a 10 bay plus 15 tech dealer ship and get the complete cat assembly installed.
    Those cars are tight for a cut and splice on flex pipes. Often you need to drop the pipe anyway. Then you run into having problems with those exhaust studs/nuts not wanting to play nice.
    This is one of the challenges daily. Is it going to come apart nicely. Only takes about 3 years here in North East for nuts/bolts/parts to start rusting (cold welding) themselves to gether

18. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

You sound like my mechanic friend. He always told me to stay away from German cars and Jeep's. Admitted they're very popular but super unreliable.

19. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

If they were actually "over engineered" they wouldn't have the problems they do. [laugh] They would just be more expensive up front. Or maybe by over engineered you're talking about anal retentive german engineering where nobody thinks about how much
    clearances etc, and they design something just to "fit" and give zero shits about the
    poor sod that has to work on it? :)

Also if the problems were strictly "you must strictly adhere to this schedule or you are asking to get throatpunched" I would have less of a problem with it, but that's not how it usually works. The manufacturer doesn't want to admit on public record about the TCO of the car. Other than things like the timing belts there is no "when you hit X miles, swap this this and this out" for smaller subsystems in the car. The rest of it is all based on hearsay or fanboi knowledge base etc. I mean, mechanics can make educated guesses, but that's not always the most reliable thing.

-Mike

andrew1220 likes this.