Good Indy Audi (german) mechanic

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone here with a german car have a good indy mechanic that knows their stuff?
Poking around a ~2011 s5 (V8 6MT) and want to ask some questions and have it inspected if I go through with it.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I had a great experience with these guys during my brief stint as the owner of a used V8 BMW. They don't advertise specialization in repairing Audis (just tuning them), but they're good enough that I'd suggest giving them a call to see what they say.

German Performance Service - Boston’s Local Independent Alternative to Dealer Service

German Performance Service is Boston’s Premier independent service & performance shop. We are fully equipped to perform a variety of Audi & Volkswagen performance upgrades and tuning. Our shop has extensive experience racing Audis and owns both S4 & RS5 race cars. For more on our #commutemonday build click HERE. Below are a few of the products we offer:

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I saw a similar S5 manual on CL and it intrigued me. I dunno man. Those cars are engineered to fall apart after the warranty expires. Plus the V8 is no joke. When it's not in the shop, that car is creme de la creme.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw a similar S5 manual on CL and it intrigued me. I dunno man. Those cars are engineered to fall apart after the warranty expires. Plus the V8 is no joke. When it's not in the shop, that car is creme de la creme.
ya, they are relatively affordable to buy now (similar to the same model year M6) and I know the stories. The V8 seems to be solid as well as the 6mt. Couple areas in these cars that have issues include carbon buildup (about $1K every 2 years or so), ball joints, and I'm getting mixed messages on the timing chains. For this engine configuration they put the timing chains at the rear of the engine so to replace it involves yanking the engine. I've reached out to one shop to get a quote and they said it's not an issues for this model only the older ones. Still something I'd like to budget for those hence why I want another opinion. I have a daily driver "backup" that I'm keeping but I've liked these cars for a while. If I can buy for a good price knowing that I need to pump in some money for maintenance and repairs in order to have a pretty sweet ride I'm fine with that.

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Where are you located? I would second German Performance and add North Shore Motor Werks.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I would not own an Audi that was not under factory warranty.

Great cars... amazing technology for the dollar, absolute horror show to work on.

Their software is HIGHLY proprietary, even if you have the latest and greatest diagnostic tools and the most up to date software from third party sources, you are still going back to Audi for the most basic problems.

Make sure you have a good mechanic lined up before you buy the car... seriously

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Great cars... amazing technology for the dollar, absolute horror show to work on.

Their software is HIGHLY proprietary, even if you have the latest and greatest diagnostic tools and the most up to date software from third party sources, you are still going back to Audi for the most basic problems.

That’s what I’m trying to do...

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
If you're on the north shore, definitely reach out to Lee Malo at Advanced Technologies. Or Joe Saputo at Top Gear Auto. Both in Gloucester. It's pretty amazing how knowledgeable they are with all German cars. Especially Audi's
Back when I had my Jetta, they did all of the work on it (which was a lot unfortunately...)
Welcome to Advanced Technologies | Advanced Technologies

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Without reading the thread, make sure the timing chain has been done already.
This. When I had my Jetta VR6 Lee at Advanced Technologies said it would cost me something absurd like $3k + to change/replace the timing chain since the engine would have to be yanked. Said don't even bother unless I have money to blow.

bfm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This. When I had my Jetta VR6 Lee at Advanced Technologies said it would cost me something absurd like $3k + to change/replace the timing chain since the engine would have to be yanked. Said don't even bother unless I have money to blow.
My Audi was a lot less than that. Had it replaced four times over the life of the car. But the Audi ws a longitudinal engine, not a transverse.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
A timing chain issue is what chased me out of the 545i. It was going to be something like $6k, because once they pull the motor and start opening it up there are a few other preventative things that you should be doing. I had walked into the car thinking "it's cheap enough that I can plan to spend $buttload on repairs," but when presented with the $6k out of pocket vs. just selling it I just sold it.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
My Audi was a lot less than that. Had it replaced four times over the life of the car. But the Audi ws a longitudinal engine, not a transverse.
Four times... jesus H? how many miles did you get out of a chain/guides?

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

You can buy full VAGCOM capability from Rosstech. It will do everything the factory tool wil do. I have it and have used it dozens of times on both Audi and Volkswagen. There is also a ton of support online to help you use the rosstech to fox the car yourself.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without reading the thread, make sure the timing chain has been done already.
99% on the market haven't and most owners want to sell instead of dealing with it. That's the main reason I want to contact a shop for a solid quote because I think I would get it done regardless. Parts alone are ~$1K and labor to pull an engine is...... I want to know this $ before buying so I can factor an extra $5-$6K (ball park) into the pricing.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0

Unless I was rolling in $$ I would not buy another Audi or VW or any other German car again. Granted I realize my 2000 Jetta VR6 I used to have, isn't some high end car but the amount of money I had to sink into that car to keep it going was mindboggling. I LOVED the performance, loved the interior quality, stereo but holy crap the maintenance was just insane.

Now I got a '13 Accord that I bought with 23k miles and I just hit 83k miles with 0 issues beyond tires/brakes/oil changes etc.

Paul455

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having owned Audi and Mercedes, I concur with the comment about factory warranty.

Those cars are expensive to repair, even if you do it yourself.

bfm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Four times... jesus H? how many miles did you get out of a chain/guides?
Original interval was listed at 75K, but I had it done every 60k based on hearing about some going at 70k. Audi later revised to a 60k interval for that engine. I forget the exact mileage, but I was well over 200k. Engine was still running great and all original. Problem was all those New England winters. Needed all the brake, cooling and transmission lines replaced as they were starting to rust. The labor cost was just too much and though I could do it myself it would have been a long process and I did not have a spare car to use or the free time to really do it quickly.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
99% on the market haven't and most owners want to sell instead of dealing with it. That's the main reason I want to contact a shop for a solid quote because I think I would get it done regardless. Parts alone are ~$1K and labor to pull an engine is...... I want to know this $ before buying so I can factor an extra $5-$6K (ball park) into the pricing.
Don't forget another couple grand for "random stupid shit that breaks on audis for 1000 alex"

bfm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My mother bought her first CR-V with in weeks of me buying my Audi. Her repair bills were only ever about 10-15% lower, but when you consider she drove about half the miles I did, she was paying more per mile. My wife currently has a 2012 Accord similar to mentioned in a reply above. Bought it with 20 something k and just about to hit 90k. Had to having steering rack rebuilt. New front and rear rotors/full brake job and rears will need to be done again soon. Scheduled maintenance also being done, was not any cheaper than the Audi. Only reason I did not get another Audi was the only wagon they bring over is the Allroad and I really do not want to pay an extra $10k for a button that makes the car go up and down.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't forget another couple grand for "random stupid shit that breaks on audis for 1000 alex"
...ya, hard to find long term costs for this car as most seem to turn them over at 100K (likely due to timing chains). If I get the engine squared away at purchases along with known suspension issues, I think the clutch would be the next item on the list.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
My mother bought her first CR-V with in weeks of me buying my Audi. Her repair bills were only ever about 10-15% lower, but when you consider she drove about half the miles I did, she was paying more per mile. My wife currently has a 2012 Accord similar to mentioned in a reply above. Bought it with 20 something k and just about to hit 90k. Had to having steering rack rebuilt. New front and rear rotors/full brake job and rears will need to be done again soon. Scheduled maintenance also being done, was not any cheaper than the Audi. Only reason I did not get another Audi was the only wagon they bring over is the Allroad and I really do not want to pay an extra $10k for a button that makes the car go up and down.
In the first 100K most halfway decent cars costs can be managed. It's after that where things get "interesting".

Also I don't ever let "brakes" enter into the value prop unless there's a design flaw (or rediculously expensive parts, like those MBs that come with 8000 dollar
ceramics on them) that makes them wear out fast and there's no alternative, those are just wear parts, like wipers, tires, etc... things that have to be replaced at a known interval on every vehicle.

I also don't judge by dealer service costs, dealer service for every brand = cosby level rape. The only way to manage costs is to at least act like your own "general
contractor". Even if you don't do 80% of the work yourself by jobbing it out correctly you can control a lot of costs. I only do dealer service for
warranty work or desperation.

-Mike

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Was just there today. He is 3 weeks out on work, had to sched time just to chase a freon leak I cant find in the wifes 2013 Sportwagen.
Did the tdi timing belt for it for half what the dealer quoted my wife, but it was during his winter slowdown, and he still needed an extra day. He only has one other mechanic, no helpers, and his wife works the front desk. Good people. Been doing the work on my Audis since he opened up shop, maybe 12 years ago. I do the easy driveway stuff, but Lee does the hard stuff. He welded in two new flex pipes for my A3 VR6, way underestimated the hours to hand fit, but held his quoted price. I insisted on at least splitting the difference. He save me from buying a whole new system cats and all!
Lee can do whatever you need with an S5 but have another car to use in the meantime..

Top Bottom