• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good Holster for a Glock 19 to use at Sig Sauer course.

I’m happy with both blade tech and comp tac.

So many to choose from. But these are solid and prob don’t have a 30 day wait.

I've been running a Bravo Concealment holster for classes but looking at moving to a dropped Safarland ALS since I have orangutan arms.

Have fun at Sig. That place is a gem.

I'd recommend an OWB holster as so many holster/unholster iterations during a class has a tendency to put loose clothing in the holster which can lead to a ND for guns without a manual safety.

Just ordered a blade tech holster yesterday morning and I should have it by end of the week. A good option if you want something quickly. They're also running a 20% off sale.

Comp-Tac international
It will come with a belt attachment for high and tight, suitable to hide under a shirt, as well as a drop offset for more of a competition carry. I think I have one of these for every pistol I own. You could get it for a G34/35 and it will hold your 19 just the same, but if you ever get a 17 or 34 in the future you will have a holster for all.

Go ahead and laugh, but when I took a course with 700 rounds over two days with my G19, my Fobus worked perfectly. It was easy to draw and reholster, and the gun locked in with a click using one hand and never gave me a bit of trouble. Other guys needed two hands and a lot of time, especially to reholster. The Fobus isn't my choice for the street, but it worked fine on the range.

I'd recommend an OWB holster as so many holster/unholster iterations during a class has a tendency to put loose clothing in the holster which can lead to a ND for guns without a manual safety.

+1, the only pistol course I took there was Handgun 102, but it was basically 1-2 shots then reholster, so you reholster like 100 times in the class. I used a Safariland ALS, worked great. If it's not a concealed carry class I'd go with something like that.

If it's a competition class then the ALS would be a pain maybe.

Raven, Bravo, MK-Tek (local MA company), Vedder. Tons of companies out there.

I’ll be at Sig Academy for a few classes coming up. I’m doing handgun 103 in September and 104 in October. I’ll be using the old style Raven Concealment holster for my G19.

IWB no light? Keepers concealment, KSG Armory, Raven, T-Rex if you really want a sidecar. Numerous companies make awesome IWB holsters.
IWB Light the argument should start and end with the Phlster floodlight. 😉 There are others, that are more focused, but you can’t beat the uses for this thing.

OWB? Depends really how hard you plan on running things. Retention levels vary from a good level 1 that lock on the trigger guard, level 2 with active locking such as ALS or SLS. Given the fact your asking we can say you probably don’t need level 3.
I have a few Safariland level 2s of varying flavor that are all rock solid, but I also know guys that run alien gear and perfectly fine as well. That being said Safariland has a great mid ride that will work with your regular belt.

Some of you guys are getting lots of practice holstering/unholstering with holsters you’re only wearing for a class....

I agree with your sentiment - it'd be better if people used the same gear (for practice) that they actually carry - but the advice to choose a popular 'range/competition' OWB is equally practical, because in the real world, unless a course is advertised as a 'concealed-carry' course, most participants are likely be using full-size guns from OWB holsters. The idea being that small guns and IWB holsters are relatively challenging (to run), full-size guns from OWB holsters can make it easier for both student and instructor to focus on the course content, rather than being bogged down by various gear issues, and that any skills learned are transferable. In fact, some instructors will stipulate that they require their students' to use an OWB holster.

Crazy, right? That's the world we're living in.

I agree with your sentiment - it'd be better if people used the same gear (for practice) that they actually carry - but the advice to choose a popular 'range/competition' OWB is equally practical, because in the real world, unless a course is advertised as a 'concealed-carry' course, most participants are likely be using full-size guns from OWB holsters. The idea being that small guns and IWB holsters are relatively challenging (to run), full-size guns from OWB holsters can make it easier for both student and instructor to focus on the course content, rather than being bogged down by various gear issues, and that any skills learned are transferable. In fact, some instructors will stipulate that they require their students' to use an OWB holster.

Crazy, right? That's the world we're living in.

Respectfully, I think that’s complete nonsense. Like any other martial art, firearm training is about repetition and replicating stress; as such you should train how you carry, otherwise you’re just paying some guy to watch you shoot.

Depends, what course? Seems the majority will be strong-side OWB. Kydex with some retention will keep it simple; black point, comp-tac. Even the fobus will get you through most of them.

Pistol CQB pre-covid you would practice retention with a partner, bring a quality holster for that one. The cheap ones will get torn off.

I just took Team Tactics and ran it with my battle-belt because it is easier to deal with. So really depends.

Respectfully, I think that’s complete nonsense. Like any other martial art, firearm training is about repetition and replicating stress; as such you should train how you carry, otherwise you’re just paying some guy to watch you shoot.

Respectfully, I think that you're tilting at windwills here. Have you actually taken a class lately? Have you taken note of what the students' used (for the course), and how they carried it? Have you shot a match lately? Have you taken note of what the participants' used (for the match), and how they carried it? Whether you or I like it or not, and regardless of whether you or I think it is how it 'should' be, the fact of the matter is that the majority of people don't carry at all, and the majority of people who do carry choose small guns with which to do it.

What you or I think might about it is completely irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom