Good gunshops around groton ct

Im a newhampshirite on a long term work project in groton so will be in groton the next 6-10 months. I dont know the local gunstores and reps. Whos worth going to?

Being an out of stater without firearms licences im pretty much limited to using my C&R, which is my primary interest anyway.

Looking for C&R guns and accessories, like red dots lights ect. Whos a good bet for checking out?

Does CT recognize an 03 FFL so you can buy from a dealer without a permit? I know that's not the case in MA...

Contact dcmdon here on NES, he's our (past-resident) expert on CT gun laws.

There is a decent gun club in Ledyard, so dropping by on a Sunday morning you might find people who could tell you what gun shops are in the area. I left Groton >45 yrs ago, so no idea what's there these days.

You're not going to be able to buy anything in CT without a CT permit. Where anything means ammo, long arms or pistols. CT requires permits for all of them.
Good news is that it's not difficult to get a non-resident permit.

That being said - you could check out M&P Firearms on Thames Street in Groton for newer stuff. For older stuff, Ron's Guns in East Lyme.

Will ranges give me trouble shooting without a licence? I can cross the border for ammo or bring some from home and only intend to bring my 1911 and n frame which are awb state compliant.

Will ranges give me trouble shooting without a licence? I can cross the border for ammo or bring some from home and only intend to bring my 1911 and n frame which are awb state compliant.

Unless something changed in the past year or so, there's not many (actually only one I recall) public ranges. I believe it was called blue ridge, or blue hills shooting range or something like that. They mandated that you have a pistol permit to shoot there. Weird thing is, you can have a pistol, but you need a permit to take it from your home. Just bite the bullet and get a non-res permit and your GTG for anything.

Some ranges there are easy to get into, others have a waiting list. Quaker Hill is a nice/fun facility and the application process and getting in isn't arduous or expensive, they have a nice facility to include an indoor range as well.

Ledyard sportsmans club has the longest rifle range in the area, but its a lengthly process/wait time to join.

Not all that far away are clubs in RI. I want to say Bradley sportsmans club or rifle and rod or something.

Sorry many of my recommendations are fairly hazy but with some goggle fu you can probably zero in on them. I left there a few years ago. NES'r Allen is pretty up to date on the local clubs and might have some contacts up there.

There are three ranges nearby in RI that rent lanes by the hour to the public. I don't know the legalities of transporting firearms in CT, but you are GTG in RI if going directly to and from a range.

Elite Indoor Gun Range, South Kingstown RI
Range at the Preserve, Richmond RI
Pine Ridge Indoor Shooting Range, Exeter RI

and a little further north, Midstate Gun Shop in Coventry RI

I'm most certainly NOT an attorney. I used to live in CT, I had a CT permit. When I moved, I simply notified them that I'd moved and now it's a non-resident permit. I'm almost absolutely certain that there is no way that you can legally have a pistol outside of your home in CT without a permit except under limited, proscribed circumstances, but it's not something I've researched - because it's not something I've needed to know. I do know from friends' experiences that obtaining a non-resident permit in CT is easy, as long as you take the required course.

Here's the link to the requirements page for getting a permit:
Connecticut State Pistol Permit

And here's the verbiage to what I THINK is the pertinent law keeping you from bringing your gun to the range in CT:
Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or any Department of Motor Vehicles inspector appointed under section 14-8 and certified pursuant to section 7-294d, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of the state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, “formal pistol or revolver training” means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and “transporting a pistol or revolver” means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

Unless something changed in the past year or so, there's not many (actually only one I recall) public ranges. I believe it was called blue ridge, or blue hills shooting range or something like that. They mandated that you have a pistol permit to shoot there. Weird thing is, you can have a pistol, but you need a permit to take it from your home. Just bite the bullet and get a non-res permit and your GTG for anything.

Some ranges there are easy to get into, others have a waiting list. Quaker Hill is a nice/fun facility and the application process and getting in isn't arduous or expensive, they have a nice facility to include an indoor range as well.

Ledyard sportsmans club has the longest rifle range in the area, but its a lengthly process/wait time to join.

Not all that far away are clubs in RI. I want to say Bradley sportsmans club or rifle and rod or something.

Sorry many of my recommendations are fairly hazy but with some goggle fu you can probably zero in on them. I left there a few years ago. NES'r Allen is pretty up to date on the local clubs and might have some contacts up there.

I'm still a member at Quaker Hill and Ledyard. I shoot at both clubs every summer. Niantic Sportsman Club has a decent indoor range as well, they shoot bowling pin and plate matches in the evenings during the summer. Sprague's not too far away for IDPA.

I know i cant carry without permit. Transporting to and from range unloaded and in a locked compartment ok? Seems weird to need a permit for general transport.
Getting a permit is hard for me, and ill be back in a free state in july.

I know i cant carry without permit. Transporting to and from range unloaded and in a locked compartment ok? Seems weird to need a permit for general transport.

or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection,

As I said, I'm NOT a lawyer and I've had no reason to examine this closely, but there's NO exception for transporting a firearm to the range in there.

CT used to allow you to purchase a pistol without a permit, and transport it between the point of purchase and your home without a carry permit. They also allowed you to transport it to a gunsmith without a permit for repair. It appears that they still allow you to do so for the people who purchased pistols in the past but who do not have permits. Current law does not allow you to purchase a pistol in CT without a permit (which of course doesn't apply to you because Federal law won't allow you to purchase a pistol out of state).

The point being, the existing law, which doesn't appear to have changed, does not allow you to transport a pistol anywhere other than to a shop, or to a competition, or training as defined above. And FOPA doesn't come into play.

CT is NOT a free state. I don't care if they call it "The Constitution State". I used to live there, I still summer there - but I'm a Georgia resident now - and the gun laws in CT are one of the reasons that I left.

From what ive read on other sources "training" as defined was synonymous with practice, not only classes.
I know the laws suck but banning bringing compliant guns to a target range for practice is kind of crappy.

Found a better printout of laws, nonresidents may transport firearms for lawful reasons as long a s certain rules are followed, it must be in a locked container or separate compartment, unloaded and be ban compliant.

So should be easy enough to drive over to rhode island to practice a few times.

I'm a MA resident and used to shoot at Greyson Guns in Orange, CT when I was down there for work. I'm pretty sure they require you to have a CT license or be with someone who has a license in order to shoot there. I have a CT nonresident license so that wasn't an issue for me.

I also shot at Bridgeport for plate matches but I can't recall if they required a license to shoot at their matches?...

Is RI gun friendly, im a collector of ww1 and ww2 stuff and have my C&R with me.
Well, you can still buy ammo without a permit, so there's that. Also no "assault weapon" ban, no mag limits, etc. They are particular about transport, so I'd encourage you to read the laws for yourself (link below).

As far as long guns, it's pretty easy to transport anywhere, just unloaded and ammo separate (including mags). However, I don't know of any outdoor ranges that are open to the public (at least that accommodate larger than 22 caliber). Range at the Preserve has two 150 yard indoor lanes (!!!!) but they are at a premium price.

CHAPTER 11-47
Weapons

or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection,

As I said, I'm NOT a lawyer and I've had no reason to examine this closely, but there's NO exception for transporting a firearm to the range in there.

CT used to allow you to purchase a pistol without a permit, and transport it between the point of purchase and your home without a carry permit. They also allowed you to transport it to a gunsmith without a permit for repair. It appears that they still allow you to do so for the people who purchased pistols in the past but who do not have permits. Current law does not allow you to purchase a pistol in CT without a permit (which of course doesn't apply to you because Federal law won't allow you to purchase a pistol out of state).

The point being, the existing law, which doesn't appear to have changed, does not allow you to transport a pistol anywhere other than to a shop, or to a competition, or training as defined above. And FOPA doesn't come into play.

CT is NOT a free state. I don't care if they call it "The Constitution State". I used to live there, I still summer there - but I'm a Georgia resident now - and the gun laws in CT are one of the reasons that I left.

There is still an exemption for persons without a permit to transport a pistol from place of purchase to place of residence or place of business. In fact the relevant exemption text from 29-35 is in your quote:

or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business

Though the most common credential for purchasing pistols and revolvers is the permit to carry, the law also provides for another credential called an Eligibility Certificate for Pistols and Revolvers. The pistol/ revolver eligibility certificate (see CGS 29-36f) was created by PA 94-1 when the legislature removed the ability to purchase a pistol/ revolver via a 14-day waiting period.

It is really important to note that while an eligibility certificate for pistol or revolver issued pursuant to CGS 29-36f facilitates the purchase of pistols and revolvers IT IS NOT A PERMIT TO CARRY AND DOES NOT CONVEY ANY ABILITY TO POSSESS A PISTOL OR REVOLVER OUTSIDE OF THE HOME OR FIXED PLACE OF BUSINESS.

It is NOT lawful to transport a pistol or revolver to the range in Connecticut, even unloaded and in a locked container, without a permit to carry. See CGS 29-35 (prohibits carrying a pistol without a permit) and CGS 29-38 (prohibits possession of weapons in a motor vehicle).

Found a better printout of laws, nonresidents may transport firearms for lawful reasons as long a s certain rules are followed, it must be in a locked container or separate compartment, unloaded and be ban compliant.

So should be easy enough to drive over to rhode island to practice a few times.

There is NO statute that allows non-residents to transport pistols or revolvers in Connecticut without a permit. The statute you might be trying to
reference is 29-38d. That statute is a (state) codified recognition of the peaceable journey provision of the Firearms Owners Protection Act. It does NOT allow a non-resident to transport a pistol/revolver from a location in Connecticut to another state. It DOES NOT allow a non-resident without a pistol permit to transport a pistol or revolver to a location within Connecticut.

Sec. 29-38d. Interstate transportation of firearms through state. (a) The provisions of sections 29-35 and 29-38 shall not apply to the interstate transportation of firearms through this state in accordance with 18 USC 926A and 927, as amended from time to time, by any person who is not otherwise prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing a firearm. Such person may transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm through this state to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm provided such transportation is in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.

(b) During the transportation of a firearm through this state as authorized in subsection (a) of this section, such firearm shall be unloaded and neither such firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such firearm shall be unloaded and such firearm and any ammunition being transported shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(c) No person who is transporting a firearm through this state in accordance with this section may use or carry such firearm or sell, deliver or otherwise transfer such firearm while in this state.

Last edited:
There is NO statute that allows non-residents to transport pistols or revolvers in Connecticut without a permit. The statute you might be trying to
reference is 29-38d. That statute is a (state) codified recognition of the peaceable journey provision of the Firearms Owners Protection Act. It does NOT allow a non-resident to transport a pistol/revolver from a location in Connecticut to another state. It DOES NOT allow a non-resident without a pistol permit to transport a pistol or revolver to a location within Connecticut.
Yep. This is why I was quick to get a nonresident license. Not worth the risk.

May need to leave gun in my temporary housing in CT to have a SD method, and do as suggested and just rent to be able to practice and enjoy my hobby.

How do you plan to get it there legally? Unless you have a CT permit, you cannot. It is against the law as JAD noted above. You seem pretty set on this, but it comes down to 03 FFL or not, unless you have a CT pistol permit, you cannot bring a handgun to your home in CT from out of state.

JAD knows CT laws inside and out. Please re-read what he wrote before you get jammed up.

Last edited:
It is NOT lawful to transport a pistol or revolver to the range in Connecticut, even unloaded and in a locked container, without a permit to carry. See CGS 29-35 (prohibits carrying a pistol without a permit) and CGS 29-38 (prohibits possession of weapons in a motor vehicle).

Thanks JAD.

ive scrapped the bringing my gun idea, ill just rent to practice

The states laws suck, never thought id see it illegal to bring a gun to the range.

Last edited:
ive scrapped the bringing my gun idea, ill just rent to practice

The states laws suck, never thought id see it illegal to bring a gun to the range.

It's for the children, and to prevent gun violence.
Because "if it saves one life"... blah, blah, blah.

The only thing that's good about CT gun laws is that they will issue carry permits to anyone unless they have a valid reason to deny it; and that includes non-residents. There's no BS about LTC-A, LTC-B, etc. It's simply a permit to carry a pistol/revolver. Which also gives you the legal ability in CT to purchase longarms, ammunition, and pistols/revolvers if you're a resident (Federal law).

So, not sure what your hesitancy about applying for a non-resident permit is; and none of my business - but if there's any way you can do it - just apply for a non-resident CT permit.

It's for the children, and to prevent gun violence.
Because "if it saves one life"... blah, blah, blah.

The only thing that's good about CT gun laws is that they will issue carry permits to anyone unless they have a valid reason to deny it; and that includes non-residents. There's no BS about LTC-A, LTC-B, etc. It's simply a permit to carry a pistol/revolver. Which also gives you the legal ability in CT to purchase longarms, ammunition, and pistols/revolvers if you're a resident (Federal law).

So, not sure what your hesitancy about applying for a non-resident permit is; and none of my business - but if there's any way you can do it - just apply for a non-resident CT permit.

Spot on. There's also no BS about moving out of state and having to reapply for a non-resident, 1 year license (like in MA). Notify of address change and done.

Compared to MA anyway, the laws are written more clearly, there is no handgun roster, and as you mentioned, permits are shall issue. Then again comparing the two states and saying CT is better on gun laws is like saying I'd rather be shot in the chest than in the face.

Back
Top Bottom