Good First Shotgun?

A lot depends on what your primary use for it would be. Will it be home defense? Trap shooting? Duck hunting? Deer hunting? None of the above? All of the above?

That said, Remington has sold millions of 870's. There are good reasons for that. If one were to own just one shotgun, an 870 would be a good choice.

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. Both are widely available on the used gun market for short money. There are plenty of barrels and tons of aftermarket parts for both.

Thanks guys. I was thinking about getting into trap shooting. I don't have any experience with it, so I thought I'd ask around. Whats a good round for trap shooting, or home protection?

For trap I use #7 1/2 for singles, and #8 then #7 1/2 for doubles. I started shooting trap with a mossberg 500, but upgraded to a Browning Citori XT Trap after about 6 months. I wasn't really planning on upgrading at the time, somebody at my club was trying to get rid of their Browning for short money so I picked it up.

Back
Top Bottom