• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good day to hit the Range

Was shooting steel at 65 yards offhand with the 5.56 SBR. Got a little trigger happy and managed to hit the quick link 😂
Which then caused the rubber hanger to tear.

Just finished repairing it tonight.
F42DA383-E83A-4DA7-972A-870686ECEF8D.jpeg 3EC24BD2-37E4-47FB-B4A0-77FFC14BC5D3.jpeg

Not recent, but it was still a good day on the range.

Checking zero of my thermal sight at 100 yards on A-zone steel and 10" gongs.

Rifle did it's job if I did my part (isn't that always the case?).

Low thermal contrast between the targets and the surrounding terrain made target acquisition difficult, but not impossible.

I need to find a better way to create contrast; maybe some hand warmers taped the the back of the targets?

Thermal sight Rifle VTAC Feb 2023.png

Some shooting today...

Three runs of Bakersfield Qual:
95 (cold)

Bakersfield 98 04.08.2023.jpg

Three runs of FAST:
8.79 (dropped one of the headshots)
8.44 (dropped one of the headshots)

FAST 2.26 04.08.2023.jpg

Three runs of 5-Yard Roundup
96 (jerked a SHO into the 7 ring)

5 Yard Roundup 99 04.08.2023.jpg

I'll shoot these again next week, but switch up the order.

Then I did three runs of prone "Around the Clock".

Finished up with a walkback drill until the magazine was empty.

A good day!

Was shooting steel at 65 yards offhand with the 5.56 SBR. Got a little trigger happy and managed to hit the quick link 😂
Which then caused the rubber hanger to tear.

Just finished repairing it tonight.
View attachment 731179View attachment 731178
How loud is the sbr? Say compared to my 14.5 carbine with pinned yankee hill brake, which is quite obnoxious to the folks shooting alongside at the range? Same deal?

Pat Mac's drill with shortened movement distances due to the limitations on my little range.

This was the culminating exercise after a bunch of drills.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dAwVEw_BE

Cold Heat:
One hit in 1.97.

5-Yard Roundup:
100 (first time, a PR!)

Bakersfield Qual:
97 (was perfect until the last shot at 60' when I cranked one into the -3. D'oh!)

FAST:
7.84 (Missed one of the headshots.)
5.86 (PR!)
10.05 (Missed both headshots.)
8.18 (An attempt at redemption.)

Practiced a magazine of some 1 shot draws to the 3x5 card.
Hits ranged from 1.82 - 1.95.
Practiced a magazine of some 2 shot draws to the 3x5 card.
Hits ranged from 2.30 - 2.60.

Did some High Confidence Exploration.
I'm in the 8" level at five yards.
With a magazine (+1) of rounds on a B-8 I hit:
6 - 10s (3x)
3 - 9s
6 - 8s
1 - 7

That's a lot of pasters on that target. LOL
Not quite as many, but it's a thing.

IDPA Bakersfield Target 04.16.2023.jpg

Yeah there are. I'm too cheap to buy targets, so I cut them out of moving boxes and use them until the fall apart.

I've done the same thing and patched them with brown paper bags.

target rear after patch.JPG

target front after patch.JPG

This may make the @drgrant top ten skin flint list. LOL

But I like it. I cut up Amazon boxes all the time and save them on my shelf to use as targets all the time. I cut them 20” wide so they fit my target stands perfectly

Hey i might not have gone that low but i used to use cheap paper plates with an orange dot sticker all the time. 🤣

Scored a big "0" on Cold Heat today. :mad:

Bakersfield: 94, 98, 98.

FAST: 7.89 (missed a headshot), 9.18 (missed a headshot and fumbled the reload), 6.14.

5 Yard Roundup: 97, 96, 99.

Finished up with a modified Turn and Burn by Pat McNamara:26.71, 26.36, 24.71.

I modified the drill by starting at the target line (normal start is from the 45 yard line) and running to the 20 yard line.

View: https://youtu.be/0pXnnktbtUQ

Hey i might not have gone that low but i used to use cheap paper plates with an orange dot sticker all the time. 🤣
Hell ya, im still working on my last pack of cheap paper plates. I don't even put a dot on them, I use them for draw practice with a shot timer. If I can hit a 8" plate at 20 feet in under 2 seconds from IWB I'm happy. I use them for taking noobs to the range to. I staple 3 or 4 on a stand and call them them out with the shooter at a low ready. Stupid games like this help make target shooting a little more entertaining.

Hell ya, im still working on my last pack of cheap paper plates. I don't even put a dot on them, I use them for draw practice with a shot timer. If I can hit a 8" plate at 20 feet in under 2 seconds from IWB I'm happy. I use them for taking noobs to the range to. I staple 3 or 4 on a stand and call them them out with the shooter at a low ready. Stupid games like this help make target shooting a little more entertaining.
Years ago I used to go hi brow and get tons of chinet dessert plates before everything got so expensive. The thicker plates made for cleaner holes and less tearing. 🤣

Years ago I used to go hi brow and get tons of chinet dessert plates before everything got so expensive. The thicker plates made for cleaner holes and less tearing. 🤣
Have you ever looked into diy shoot n' see target's? That's an arts & crafts rabbit hole and a half. Pretty much everything can be had at a local dollar store.

Confirmed my 50/200 zero, then a bit of "Run and Gun" on some steel.

Great day to be on the range!

After string #1 at 200, I went back and really focused on my NPOA for #2 string.

#2 string was still a bit to the right, so I put 1.5 MOA left on the RDS and fired #3.

I called the hit in the 8-ring.

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHIIOlGCykA

Back
Top Bottom