Good Bye Rachel robocalls, hopefully forever

I work odd hours and was this close to pulling the plug on my landline because of too many robocalls. Tried the free service "nomorobo" for about six weeks now, and haven't heard from that Bee-arch Rachel from Card Services, those Microsoft experts or other scam artist robocalls. I'm sure this is only temporary until the scumbags figure out a way around it, but for now, I'm a well rested and happy camper.

Last edited:
rachel changed her name, i forget what the new one is. seems to me we pay money on our phone bill to fund the"do not call list"

iirc, now senator, formerly rep ed markey was instrumental in starting that

Damm i was jumping with glee for a minute i thought the thread was about Rachael Maddow....well one can hope !

nomorobo, https://www.nomorobo.com/ is a great free service. You need to have VOIP with the simultaneous ring feature. Your phone also rings on the nomorobo servers and if there is a caller ID match from some scam service the phone is disconnected. I check my phone logs a couple of times per week and if I'm getting these calls I block them.

Its cut my crap calls by about 2/3's

I find that simply leaving my cell on silent and checking my voicemail every few weeks has done marvels for my blood pressure.

I haven't had a landline in ten years. Correction - there was one that was part of a cable package, but it was just an empty jack in the basement. Never did plug a phone into it.

I've had Nomo on my Robo since December. Calls have diminished considerably. We'll still get the one-ringers. But even those are less.

I work odd hours and was this close to pulling the plug on my landline because of too many robocalls. Tried the free service "nomorobo" for about six weeks now, and haven't heard from that Bee-arch Rachel from Card Services, those Microsoft experts or other scam artist robocalls. I'm sure this is only temporary until the scumbags figure out a way around it, but for now, I'm a well rested and happy camper.

You should do it anyways, it's pretty liberating. You get to put that cash back in your pocket for ammo, etc.

The only reason I'd ever have a landline phone at my house is if I had small children around. Other than that they're pretty much worthless at this point other than to be a conduit through which people can annoy you.

-Mike

I had a glimpse of hope for a minute and when I wanted to sign up it told me to login to my Ooma Premiere and set it up through Ooma.
Well, I don't have Ooma Premiere, I am using the Basic Ooma service and if I had Ooma premiere I would not need NoMorobo [frown]

Thanks OP anyways.

i just set this up. So now it's a wait and see. I have been getting a lot of robot calls lately. Not sure why. Hopefully this reduces and/or eliminates them. However I have to go through a whole set up process with verizon as I never set up online with them before. so once that was done it was easy. Now I wait.

Been using Nomo Robo for 5 months.

Very few scammers ring more than 1x.

I do get calls... but the scammers only ring ONCE. Never pick up on the first ring. I love when it just rings once. That means that was another call that I don't have to take.

When sleeping, hearing 1 call is no big deal. Then I sleep even better with a big smile on my face.

Also, my iPhone does not ring at all unless the callers is on my contact list. If you are not on that list, I don't want to talk to you anyway on my cell.

I find answering some of these calls to be entertaining. I typically vent or eff with the caller until THEY hang up. Most of them don't last very long..."Hi there Rachel, so tell me...what are you wearing right now?"

I find answering some of these calls to be entertaining. I typically vent or eff with the caller until THEY hang up. Most of them don't last very long..."Hi there Rachel, so tell me...what are you wearing right now?"

I did this for a while, but after reading the stories of the scammers spoofing caller ID and SWATting the victim, I just hang up.

I had one of them threaten to destroy my credit with false reports. Since he had the wrong name, I wasn't worried.

and here I was hoping Rachel Maddow quit.

Reminds me of my tactic with telemarketers though.

Hello sir, I wanted to discuss with you an amazing offer -

Oh hold on, you need to talk to the decision maker..

that would be great, I'll hold

*hand the phone to my 2 year old son*

GA DA BA DA CLIKA! (this isn't the clicker!!!)

they hang up.

Profit.

Last edited:
Having set up evil call centers at one point in my career, keep in mind that the people working the lines are minimum wage slaves trying to get by. It is a miserable job and most don't last more than a few weeks anyway. Don't hassle those poor slobs it's their bosses you hate. They put the call centers in god awful places with no other jobs around or near colleges with an endless supply of kids in need of a few bucks.

Ditto - worked in a boiler room, many over the years from the shit end to the high end. The shit end where residences are called typically have no filters and no issues violating the do not call list. they are mostly kids, broke mothers and the true bottom of the economic scale. the higher end places I worked with are typically different and more research oriented, but still, the pay sucks.

Cognizant however that the lower tiered places are oftentimes running terrible scams preying on the elderly, I have no problem giving them "the business" instead of the business.

Having set up evil call centers at one point in my career, keep in mind that the people working the lines are minimum wage slaves trying to get by. It is a miserable job and most don't last more than a few weeks anyway. Don't hassle those poor slobs it's their bosses you hate. They put the call centers in god awful places with no other jobs around or near colleges with an endless supply of kids in need of a few bucks.

and here I was hoping Rachel Maddow quit.

Reminds me of my tactic with telemarketers though.

Hello sir, I wanted to discuss with you an amazing offer -

Oh hold on, you need to talk to the decision maker..

that would be great, I'll hold

*hand the phone to my 2 year old son*

GA DA BA DA CLIKA! (this isn't the clicker!!!)

they hang up.

Profit.

Fixed the Title.

Back
Top Bottom