• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good/Best .22LR? - New to .22

Just out of curiousity as I intend to by a 22 rifle for my daughter and considered savage. I checked out the owners manual.
Section 12 for the mk I, II, 93 States they use federal gold metal ultra match 40 grain lead bullet for their testing. I didnt get to far into what savage test results are or their claims for accuracy.
Might want to try the federal?
I would like to see your results though when you get your rifle and ammo.

Ya obviously what it will all come down to is what I can get. All told it seems the solution is basically whichever CCI round is best suited to the situation. SV for longer range, Mini Mags for sub 40 yards, Velociter if I want more punch.

Anyone try CCI Quiet? I'm sure it's rare right now but I watched some reviews and was surprised at the results.

Yes. Not bad inside of 25 yards. About as consistent as CB type rounds, go a little farther before the groups break down, and they're a little louder (obviously). Would not expect better than 3" groups past 25 yards, tho.

Tested in a CZ bolt, manually cycled AR conversion upper, and manually cycled HB 10/22.

A lot of people bought these thinking they were a good replacement (because available) for CCI SV. They are instead effectively a .22 short in a .22 LR shell. That is their purpose.

Last edited:
I've never before seen it so hard to find .22 at a decent price. Remember to thank Obama for the ammo hoarding crisis mentality. Word on the street is that production will catch up maybe around the end of the summer.

I've seen CCI mini mags at Walmart for $7.50 / 100. That's a good deal in today's environment.

Yeah, end of summer 2016!

If your shooting a rifle just for target practice or small game its hard to beat .22LR, if your going to buy a handgun 9mm is tops! When I switched from .40 to 9mm my accuracy improved by %400 overnight and that's no joke. Given enough time and practice practically anybody can get good with anything but if you want to streamline the process go with those 2 calibers. Oh and I would highly recommend a Glock 19 if you are looking at handguns, I also hear the S&W M&P 9mm's are good too but in my opinion nobody beats Glock with all the aftermarket parts & options you can literally do anything to it you can imagine!

If your shooting a rifle just for target practice or small game its hard to beat .22LR, if your going to buy a handgun 9mm is tops! When I switched from .40 to 9mm my accuracy improved by %400 overnight and that's no joke. Given enough time and practice practically anybody can get good with anything but if you want to streamline the process go with those 2 calibers. Oh and I would highly recommend a Glock 19 if you are looking at handguns, I also hear the S&W M&P 9mm's are good too but in my opinion nobody beats Glock with all the aftermarket parts & options you can literally do anything to it you can imagine!

I carry a Glock 19 every day. Right there with you.

You'll hear a ton of bad reviews on Remington thunderbolts with problems of excessive leading. My results were much better though. Just put 200 rounds of them through my rugger single ten and checked every 20 rounds and had no lead fouling at all. Yes the stuff is filthy but for 26 bucks for 500 rounds I'll deal with it. Groupings at 50 feet were just slightly larger than with more pricy ammo like American eagle and federal champion. Not good stuff for competition but for plinking bottles and cans at the range they are good enough. Also........not a single failure to fire in 200 rounds.....every one went bang.

Last edited:
Many have said CCI mininags, and they are arguably the best for most semi auto rifles and pistols.

However, your savage bolt action does not need a hi velocity round to function. Standard velocity 22lr is almost always more accurate.

I like the Winchester M-22's in my Ruger 10/22. Really haven't found much that it won't load and shoot properly. With the .22, it's just a plinker, so absolute accuracy isn't my first criteria (but it's pretty accurate, too).

I've yet to find anything my 10/22 won't eat reliably. Occasionally get a FTE with bargain bin 22s, but even that is rare. I do prefer to use federal automatch when I really want it to be really reliable, for stuff like steel challenge.

I have that scope in silver with the extended sunshade on my 10/22 with an archangel stock and love it. Looks pretty badass and dials in pretty quick to deadnuts sub-1" groups at 50 yrds and at 100 yrds I see about 2-6" drop depending on ammo and weather. My only gripe is I wish the scope had a few bullet drop tick marks in the reticle vs. the single cross-hair.

The only .22 ammo I really DIS-liked so far is that Gold Remington Bulk sh*t!. It's really dirty and imho poorly made. I had a number of FTF's and loose cartridges that messed with the riflle. I had to suffer through a 1000 rounds of it during the darkest of ammo times and wound up running most of it out of my pistols. Everything else has been great.

You'll hear a ton of bad reviews on Remington thunderbolts with problems of excessive leading. My results were much better though. Just put 200 rounds of them through my rugger single ten and checked every 20 rounds and had no lead fouling at all. Yes the stuff is filthy but for 26 bucks for 500 rounds I'll deal with it. Groupings at 50 feet were just slightly larger than with more pricy ammo like American eagle and federal champion. Not good stuff for competition but for plinking bottles and cans at the range they are good enough. Also........not a single failure to fire in 200 rounds.....every one went bang.

Update on my experience with thunderbolt Remington. Just cleaned the ruger single ten.......yes it had more carbon build up around the forcing cone than with other ammo I have out through it but a coating with hopes.....wait 20 minutes........pick at the carbon with a dental pick and it is perfectly clean. The bore was no issue at all.........ran the brush through more than I usually do after a soak with hopes just to see if I got any lead bits and all I got out of the bore was black carbon residue like usual. So........thunderbolts work fine in a single ten for plinking in my humble opinion.

I just found a 500 round brick of CCI SV in my basement with 2 extra 50 round boxes.... So should I sell it now so I can buy the $1700 1911 I want? It should be worth that much, right???? [rofl]

-Mike

I just found a 500 round brick of CCI SV in my basement with 2 extra 50 round boxes.... So should I sell it now so I can buy the $1700 1911 I want? It should be worth that much, right???? [rofl]

-Mike

Almost, see if you can come up with 50 more rounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-Mike

You might not be that far off.....guy in the classifieds is trying to unload 2 525 round pax of Remy golden bullet for $140........yup......you read that right

For what it's worth, here's what I've tried in my Savage Mark II FV-SR so far...

American Eagle 40gr LRN
Winchester bulk 36gr CPHP
CCI Mini Mag 36gr CPHP
Remington Subsonic 40gr LRN
CCI SV (forget load)
Aguila Super Extra 40gr LRN

Weirdly the Winchester bulk has been by far the most consistent at about 1.2MOA out of my gun. The CCI Mini Mag was next best at 1.5MOA and the rest open up from there. The CCI has been 1MOA but I've not yet shot a 5-round group that didn't have at least one flier...

Thankfully I've been able to pick up another 1000 rounds of the Winchester bulk (3 boxes of 333) at Walmart recently at $0.05/round.

My Henry Golden Boy eats anything, which is awesome because it is so much fun to shoot. It is not a target rifle but dinging steel plates at 100 yards is a blast.

My semi pistol and 15-22 are more finicky but I really like Federal Auto Match as much as the CCI

My Henry Golden Boy eats anything, which is awesome because it is so much fun to shoot. It is not a target rifle but dinging steel plates at 100 yards is a blast.

My semi pistol and 15-22 are more finicky but I really like Federal Auto Match as much as the CCI

Ya, nice thing about my Savage is that bolt guns will eat whatever you feed them.

Ha! Truth! My only .22lrs are a henry and a ruger single 10........they eat everything including the thunderbolts everyone complains about.

Back
Top Bottom