• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good AR-15 Kit?

Hey all,

Just aquired a Preban striped lower and am looking to but out the rest of the gun. I have heard there are good "Everything but the lower" build kits out there but there are so many it's hard to sift through what is good and what is crap. I'm looking to build a mid-range rifle (free float 16"-24", attached bipod) for primarily target use and so I ask:
Do you guys have any preferred manufacturers that sell that type of kit?
Any of your local gun shows sell one?
Has anyone done bought one and loved/hated it?

I'm looking at trying to keep my cost under $400 unless I see something that I absolutely fall in love with.
Thanks for your help :)

For 400 you can get virtually anything, don't need an entire kit at one. Its just a lower parts kit and a stock with buffer tube. I'd say buy a good LPK and just pick out what stock you like best and odds are everything will have one combined with a buffer tube.

CMMG, Spikes Tactical, Palmetto State Armory. Can’t really go wrong with any of them. As long as it’s a standard mil-spec kit and not some cheap piece of crap.

Only difference is if you wanted a nicer trigger, anti role pins or grip. Most kits can be found for $50.

Is it is a real preban ('94)? If so why not save up for quality parts and build a nice rifle instead of a cheapo kit? if post '94 and your on a budget build I'd stay away from Del-Ton or ATI parts.

I have seen lower kits that do not include the trigger group or the grip. This is an option if you plan to install an upgraded trigger or want a different grip. No point paying for parts your going to upgrade and not use.

my email to Palmetto..

If you don't support the 2nd amendment and fall to the threats of our liberal AG in Mass, then I will never support your business and encourage friends and family from other states to support me, in not supporting your company. It's not Illegal to ship gun parts to Massachusetts... Why did you decide to do this? Please let me know so I can forward your response to several forums that are bashing you online right now... Thanks..

If you were going to build for actual quality you would be buying individual high quality parts.

I would rather build something nicer but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to what I need and what's good. I have never done a build and the amount of options is kinda overwhelming which is why I was considering a complete kit.

Stag is most likely your best bet then. I don't know anything about their uppers but their lowers and lower parts are on par with DPMS, CMMG, YHM, etc. I don't think they ship to Ma anymore though

Last edited:
I used cmmg, PSA, and Stag LPKs. I prefer Stag, their triggers feel very similar to an ALG QMS and they use coil pins.

I would rather build something nicer but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to what I need and what's good. I have never done a build and the amount of options is kinda overwhelming which is why I was considering a complete kit.
Don’t be afraid. Read for like a week and then buy a few quality parts. A high quality lpk and complete upper is you’re best bet. Bcm is very popular.

I've given Stag a lot of business in the past. Now they dropped me from their email list and won't even send a baseball cap to MA. All because they're afraid of Moira.

This is where having a good grasp of end use is a must. I thank the gun gods for Obama super sale II . It gave me a chance to unload 8 builds I basically had no use for.
A few things to think about.
1. 24" barrels are a PITA, long and cumbersome
2. Cal I built a 204 ruger f***ing useless for me AFTER I,built it I figured this out
3. Muzzle devices- I have come to like my ARs with a simple target crown no threaded barrels.
4. I like the A1 length stock it fits me sitting and standing much better and it's a simple piece.
5. Kits are fine for something to just toss together. I did several stag kits as they had several offered over the years.
6. Barrels I like a heavy barrel
Its a lot to think about it. After building and buying 14 ARs over the past 10 years or so im down to 3 complete and one lower
RRA NM A2 - it was cheaper to buy this rifle than build it
18" heavy barrel build that I built for a varmint/600 yard prone match rifle with a big scope on it. Love the set up just not much time to use it
RRA mil spec A2 upper on NES group buy YHM lower I use this for a specific CMP match and would sell it otherwise.
Anderson built lower with a 22lr upper
Then another lower I can put anything else on.
All have the RRA NM triggers , they are inexpensive and work well for me.
Basic round hougue free float tubes, A1 stocks and basic parts. Nothing fancy. Other than the match sights on the NM A2 rifle.

I would tell you go shoot as many different ARs in,as many types of shooting and see what you like.

Ya there are definitely a ton of options. If you are not building it with a specific purpose like competition shooting any of those uppers would be good for you. Just get something cheap to play with while you learn about the platform and piece together a nice upper.

I would get a lower parts kit that doesn't come with a trigger and throw a few extra dollars at a decent drop in trigger. One other thing I would say is... Make sure you get the hand-guard you want. Since you have to pin and weld the muzzle device changing HGs down the road is a real PITA. Once the brake is welded on you can't remove the gas block. So if you got something with a 2 piece HG you wouldn't be able to take the barrel nut and delta ring off to change over to the nut a free floating HG would use.

I would sell you an unfired Bushmaster upper I have hanging around for short/shortish money but by the time you changed out the flash hider and neutered it for MA it would have just been cheaper to buy a pre-neutered one.

If you are hesitant about building the upper due to lack of tools and experience I'm sure you could find someone on the forum that wouldn't mind having you come over with your parts and a case of beer. I would offer but I'm in SC.

Behind every blade of grass will be a patriot... Trying to get his shitty budget rifle to work. It's with rifle as its with everything: you get what you pay for. There's a reason why the average stripped upper from, say, BCM, is more than a complete S&W sport.

Behind every blade of grass will be a patriot... Trying to get his shitty budget rifle to work. It's with rifle as its with everything: you get what you pay for. There's a reason why the average stripped upper from, say, BCM, is more than a complete S&W sport.

Since almost all AR uppers are produced by a small handful of forges, and then simply remarked, that seems like a silly part to pick for comparison.

A Cerro Forge upper is a Cerro Forge upper, whether it comes from Anderson or Colt or BCM.

There's a reason why the average stripped upper from, say, BCM, is more than a complete S&W sport.

Sure, it's a common knowledge that BCM lower makes it's proud owner an instant operator. Colt "law enforcement use only" lowers are totally Navy Seal/Delta Force grade and priced accordingly.

Since almost all AR uppers are produced by a small handful of forges, and then simply remarked, that seems like a silly part to pick for comparison.

A Cerro Forge upper is a Cerro Forge upper, whether it comes from Anderson or Colt or BCM.
My bad, mistake on my end. I meant to say complete upper without CH/BCG/hand guard. Just upper, barrel/barrel nut, gas system with front sight. IIRC, I paid $535 for mine, but don't quote me on that.

That's like saying a Daewoo is just as good as a Ferrari just because they bought their metal from the same company. The forge companies just make the blanks. Not fully cut receivers. They are forging houses not firearms manufacturers. Cut a cerro receiver with shitty dull tools on a machine set up with wide tolerances and you'll have a POS for an end product regardless of where the blank came from.

Loose tolerances lead to issues like poor mating between the upper and lower. Tear-down pin holes that don't quite line up correctly so the pins have to be tapped in and out. Sloppy loose buffer tube threads. Fire control pockets that a just a little too tight or too loose leaving you to deal with a sloppy trigger or one you have to sand just to get it in the pocket. I have seen all of those problems from shittier manufacturers. Tht's why all my receivers are from YHM.

If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Researching and choosing parts is unquestionably the most fun part of building an AR! There are lots of sites out there that will tell you everything you need.

Get a gunsmithing toolkit with a set of punches! I have this and am happy with it:

Weaver Deluxe Gunsmithing Tool Kit WV849719 849719

An upper receiver vice block is another good, cheap tool to have.

You'll also need an armorers wrench. Not sure if he's still here but there was a guy selling them in members classifieds, I believe. I have been VERY satisfied with what I got from him.

For uppers I have no input. I have had quentin lowers (from group buys here) so I used quentin uppers. No problems with them at all but I'm sure there are many good ones.

For the Lower Parts Kit (LPK) you definitely don't need to go crazy. You can upgrade the trigger later on and blingy selectors and bolt releases don't do anything. Did I use blingy parts on my ludicrously expensive SPR build? Yes, yes I did...but they don't do anything different. I used a Spikes enhanced LPK on the first AR I built for my father and it worked out very well. If you really want to go cheap, the regular Spikes kit should be fine.

For the bolt and bolt carrier, get the M16 cut but you don't need any fancy coatings. I have coated failzero stuff on my ARs but I actually run a bolt I ordered with the barrel (supposedly "matched") on my SPR in the coated carrier. Haven't noticed any difference in cleaning. Maybe the coatings would help in adverse conditions...we'll find out if my ARs ever actually see adverse conditions.

Barrel is probably a good place to spend money. I would do a 16" for a first rifle. I did a 16 on that first AR for my old man. My SPR has a 17.9" Compass Lake barrel on a Douglas blank, for authenticity's sake, and my shorty is a 14.5" Daniel Defense with pinned welded brake for legality's sake. I'm quite happy with the DD. I will probably build another upper with a 16" barrel at some point. 16" or shorter seems to me to be a good length if you plan on shooting from a standing position a lot. If you want to bench rest then go for whatever you want.

For the gas block make sure you get the right size for the barrel. Set screw is probably easiest. Can't go wrong buying a block from the same company that made the barrel, eh? You don't need an adjustable gas block.

Gas tube, make sure the length matches the barrel. Otherwise, who cares.

Brake, stock and forearm are all up to you, get creative. I have PRI forearms on my rifles and I LOVE them. Nice smooth grip where your hand wants to go and rails only in the places where you need them. I've never seen anyone using PRI except other SPR clone builders on the internet. No idea why because they are awesome. I used a Quentin Defense keymod one on my fathers AR, which was a mistake. Stick with standard rails. I may go with some other fancy-pants forearm on my next AR purely to look cool, but the PRIs are just so damn good.

I've only recently discovered the crazy stuff people do with cerakote, so I might even just use another PRI and have it coated to make it more fancypants.

If by preban you mean pre-94, the world is your oyster for stocks. If you mean pre-7/20, then you could certainly go with a fixed stock so you don't have to deal with pinning it or getting it pinned. That said, you have to swing by the gunsmith to get your brake pinned anyway, so might as well just go for it.

Last edited:
Palmetto State Armory.

The kinda cool thing about PSA is they put kits 'on sale' every day/week/month. I got an AR10 upper for quite a bit less by waiting a month or two and they discounted it.

I know of probably a dozen PSA builds, I have yet to hear of anyone disappointed with what they got for the money. I know triggers were sometimes ditched for better triggers, but the rest was installed as is.

Since no one else has said it, you can get away with 'this is 'test' rifle' with whoever oversee's your household budget. Then once you know what you are doing, build a nicer setup.

My buddy had a tool that held the springs in place for some of the internal springs, I'd recommend it. Even with it I had a spring go flying, thankfully on a very smooth floor and I was able to find it. I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about and can give you a part number or the name. Let me say again, I'd recommend it.

So to address some of the posts here:
  • My friend (who convinced me to do a AR build) has a large workshop where he has done his AR's and most likely has all the tools I will need
  • I am really liking the products I am finding on Stag Arms, thanks for that.
Last question really is: how significant of a factor is the twist rate of the rifling?

[EDIT]: I am Looking at buying this kit from Stag and perhaps upgrading the trigger grouping and stock at a later date

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom