• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good .223 Price? - New to ARs

The 223 can comes out to 4.79 a box so it's a good deal. The 7.62 can comes out to 5.25 a box , so you save 22 cents there

Walmart up here in VT has at least 8 of these .223 cans. $119 plus 6% tax. If anyone is in need of finding one and is near I-93 Andover area, I could grab one for someone.

Works out to 25.2 cents per round. If I hadn't just spent a ton of money I would be taking you up on this.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

How was this measured? I have had one extractor failure so far. I'm not sure what the round count is to wear out a extractor? Extractor gets the shit kicked out of it.
My failed extractor actually broke. Short rnd count 300ish. I think steel cased ammo is a lot dirty and fouls more. I think the biggest problem with steel 223 is most of what I tested over the crony was under powered. I don't think steel seals in the chamber as well as brass. The chamber gets fouled. If not cleaned......I just run a bore snake at the range. It might cause some sticking cases putting more stress on the extractor.

There is this study.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

I have also seen excessive wear on a pistol I have almost exclusively use steel ammo in since replacing the extractor. After close to 20k rounds of brass it started FTE (extracting & ejecting). Since replacing it I have run slmost all steel and am looking at replacing it and the barrel after another 15k.

I can speak to the 9mm velocity. I found it ran hotter than most. It had a solid 100 fps over other factory ammo used at a sanctioned match.

Shooting has dropped of since a baby and ammo shortages.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There is this study.
I can speak to the 9mm velocity. I found it ran hotter than most. It had a solid 100 fps over other factory ammo

Ya I chrono'd Tula steel 9mm at 1180-1185 which is hotter than my results with Fiocchi, Federal, and WWB.

Results I've seen online would indicate Tula's .223 steel is no softer than most of the competition.

I know we're all talkin about .223, but 5.56 xm855 is still high. Before the scare the 420 round cans were $150-170, i still haven't seen them for less than $200. I've been shooting steel, still puts smile on my face.

I know we're all talkin about .223, but 5.56 xm855 is still high. Before the scare the 420 round cans were $150-170, i still haven't seen them for less than $200. I've been shooting steel, still puts smile on my face.
I did see the 420 round boxes for 179$ advertised about a week ago. Four seasons maybe?

35 cents a round seems to be the cheapest I've been able to find for brass cased .223. I don't care to run steel through my AR so I don't mind spending a little more.

Has anyone seen any walmarts with tula in stock? Everytime I call a walmart it takes 20 minutes to get someone in their firearms department to pick up the phone and they all say they don't have any in stock. I have to rent a car when I go anywhere so if anyone knows anywhere that has cheap 223 please let me know :)

Has anyone seen any walmarts with tula in stock? Everytime I call a walmart it takes 20 minutes to get someone in their firearms department to pick up the phone and they all say they don't have any in stock. I have to rent a car when I go anywhere so if anyone knows anywhere that has cheap 223 please let me know :)

Can't really help you because it's gone now, but Rindge and Keene NH both had the 500 round Tula cans recently so they're around. I don't expect to see them again soon though.

Reasonably priced .223

I typically shoot brass cased for the simple fact it can be reloaded, and have seen steel cases split in guns. It can be a major PIA to try to get separated cases out of a gun and it isn't worth the headache for me. I'd rather shoot, than work on the gun. Never had any issues with brass cased ammo that couldn't be dealt with on the range. I like to buy High quality Re manufactured ammo because it is match grade quality for around .45 cents a round if you get good quality. It shoots better than any factory ammo, and the consistency is awesome. Just my experience, and I am a little biased since we sell re-manufactured ammo! But in all honesty, it is the best you can get for your money.

Only place you will find steel .223 for that cheap seems to be when Walmart has it. Everywhere else I have seen is .27 - .30 a round when buying bulk. .37 - .40 seems to be the average for brass.

Yep ended up getting 500 rounds of American Eagle .223 55gr at Shooters Outpost for $185.

Geez, you're doing good at 23 cents. When I'm ammo shopping, I usually get prices atound 1.00-1.10$/round, when I even see what I'm looking for. The best price on Black Hills I've seen was for blue box for around 0.64, but they're elusive as hell.

four season has am eagle 223 boxes (100 rds) for just under $40. that is the best deal i have seen in a while.

If you really want to keep your round cost down, you need to reload. Even then, you need to shop smart (at S-Mart) for the components.

Depends on grains. 55 can be had for .34, same for 62gr. 77 will cost you big time. One buck per round and up.
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato?refid=arpartsfinder

Interesting. So by that measure some 5.56 can be had cheaper than brass cased .223? I perceived 5.56 to be pricier than .223 in equivalent forms. I'm definitely aware the heavy stuff is going to be around $1/rd. I plan to get a little of that for my HD mags and to see what accuracy my build is capable of, but will be using 55 and 62gr for range and SHTF stockpile.

If you really want to keep your round cost down, you need to reload. Even then, you need to shop smart (at S-Mart) for the components.

I don't care about savings to the point that I want to get into reloading at this point. I just want to make sure I'm not paying more than I need to for my ammo based on the current market. If the range is .34-.38 for basic 55gr FMJ 5.56 I just want to make sure I know so I can pass on anything higher than that (like the stuff at .50-.60 that I've been buying at my LGS...

Tula brass .223 can be found for $.32-.34/rd right now. Boxer primed, so reloadable.

On the extractor issue, I've found through personal experience about 5k of steel ammo will pretty much kill one. I replaced mine every 3k rounds now to be safe. Extractors are cheap.

If your new to an AR and want to get some good trigger time/practice. Go get some tula steel for 6 bucks a box at walmart and shoot, shoot, shoot. Just clean your gun really good after you do. I would even recommend frog lube, really makes it easy to wipe that carbon clean.

Best of Luck

I know Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack had a few bulk deals on 223 a week ago...

1000 Rounds of Brass cased Wolf Gold .223 for $369.99..... 36.9 cents per round

1000 Rd Cases of Aguila 124gr FMJ 9mm Luger $299.99..... 29.9 cents per round

500 Rd Cases of Wolf 223 55gr FMJ $149.99.......29.9 cents per round

500 Rd Cases of WPA 9mm 115gr FMJ $129.99......25.9 cents per round

300Rd packs of M855 (Green Tip) 5.56 on Stripper Clips $129.99....43.3 cents per round

Golden Tiger 7.62x39 1000 round case.....$249.99 ..24.9 cpr / 500 Rds ... $129.99 ...25.9 cpr

Not sure what they have left, but its worth giving them a call !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom