Good 10/20rd AR10 magazines for Aero M5?

paul73

NES Member
Hi, I need an advice on the convertible magazines for AR10. I got some of those -

and while they do work with steel .308 tula fine - it seems to be a consistent problem with feeding the last round if i use proper brass - the round gets half way stuck, pressed into ramps of the upper/barrel making deep dent in the brass and dislodging the bullet.
It may be a firmer spring in the mag would help, but i am not sure how productive it would be to try fixing those mags. Mags also seem to wobble in the lower a bit more than i would like.
I would prefer to swap mags to something that is 100% reliable. The problem seems to be with the 7.62 brass only, 6.5CM feeds from them fine, .308 steel feeds fine.

The upper/lower used are aero m5 dpms high profile. from what i assumed that elander should have worked fine, but, alas, it does not. For a non-convertible 10rd mags i have plastic magpul pmags and those seem to work fine, but i want to have a set of proper steel SHTF mags.

If anybody knows how to fix the issue with elander mags - let me know. I can try putting some electrical tape on the mag to improve its fitting and reduce wobble, but, it seems rather futile, dunno.

i did some minor tinkering with tape, etc. to make those elander mags to sit snuggier in the lower - no use, it did not improve things much at all, i am writing them off.
will stock them with a steel tula that seems to be feeding fine and will keep them in reserve.

I grabbed some hexmags from PA on sale and they run just fine. Fit snug in an M5 lower, more so than P-mags.

Edit- link. They go on sale frequently and PA has frequent deals if you’re on their mailing list.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom