goldenrod dehumidifiers

I am in the process of constructing a gun safe and it is going to be in my basement. So I have been looking around for a good dehumidifier for it so my guns dont rust and the goldenrod keeps coming up. I was looking to get some feedback on it before i went ahead and purchased it.

I've burned through quite a few of the browning brand version...my next one will be a true Goldenrod

I just replaced mine; it died after about 10 years.

The funny story is that I had to move the safe to replace the golden rod so that meant empting the safe on our bed. My wife walked in and said are these all of your gun, I had to admit no, now she's trying to find appropriate counseling for me.

The only thing the goldenrod does is warm the air. It does not get rid of humidity. For that you need to use a desiccant.

I've been using Golden Rods for 20 yrs - love them. I picked up some 24" ones to use in closets where off season clothes and bedding are stored.

Wait until they go on sale ! [grin]

I use, well, a dehumidifier. I run it for 5 or 6 months of the year. It's amazing how much water is in the air. During the most humid summer weather, I end up emptying it once a day. I set it for 55-60%.
Golden Rods keep the air warm. More of a constant temp thing. They prevent condensation. If you go that route you may want to add a desiccant for water vapor removal. Probably not needed but it's short money. You can pick them up at like a Bass pro or order them on line. You can also recharge them by drying them out in the oven.
I use a clay and silica crystal kitty litter and change it out every 6 months or so. I keep one of these in each case:
DSCN0657.jpg

As with the desiccant, you can also recharge it in the oven if you want.
When you store your guns, a light coat of oil is better than a heavy as a heavy coat will actually trap moisture.
Another thing, if it's possible, place the safe against an inside wall.

Okay

By increasing the air temp it lowers the relative humidity so yes, it does both.

So during the summer months when it is 90 degrees outside the humidity outside goes down. I don't think so! So no it does not work that way.
First, a Goldenrod does not reduce humidity levels, it simply raises the temperature inside a couple degrees above ambient. This prevents condensation on the metal inside, that's all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom