• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GoldenRod Dehumidifier vs GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier

doobie

Banned
What is the difference between the GoldenRod Dehumidifier vs GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier?

The only things I can see are cord length, power usage, price, and maybe coating on the rod? Which is better? Both for the price/performance and power usage...(not that the up to 4 watt difference is much)?

GoldenRod Dehumidifier

GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier

Goldenrod also makes a 12" 8 watt unit in white that's described as for "Home Use", whatever that means. Perhaps that's their indication that it will cover 100 cu.ft. of indoors or otherwise temperature controlled storage, and the 12" 12 watt one is to cover 100 cu.ft. of outdoor storage? I don't see the color coating making any difference.

If I needed another one from Midway, I'd buy the 18" model that's on sale for the same price as the 12" one. I have 2 now, one in the indoor safe, and one in the cabinet at outdoor ambient temperature. I haven't seen rust in either, and I've been using them for at least 8 years. An effective gadget, in my book.

Goldenrod also makes a 12" 8 watt unit in white that's described as for "Home Use", whatever that means. Perhaps that's their indication that it will cover 100 cu.ft. of indoors or otherwise temperature controlled storage, and the 12" 12 watt one is to cover 100 cu.ft. of outdoor storage? I don't see the color coating making any difference.

If I needed another one from Midway, I'd buy the 18" model that's on sale for the same price as the 12" one. I have 2 now, one in the indoor safe, and one in the cabinet at outdoor ambient temperature. I haven't seen rust in either, and I've been using them for at least 8 years. An effective gadget, in my book.

Thanks. I was going to buy the 18" one, but IIRC front to back my save is under 17".

Does anyone use a dehumidifier like this or any other form and had good luck with putting a safe or locker of some sort with their guns in it in a basement without seeing any real noticeable rust? Right now I am thinking that is my only place I could really put one. As of right now there is a large dehumidifier that mostly takes care of the whole basement and does a pretty good job of it. But being the paranoid guy I am about wear and tear on my stuff i'd definitely buy another one of some sort to put in said safe. I just wanted to know if anyone else has their safe in a similar basement situation. It's not furnished so it's more open to the elements than maybe some of yours are.

I have used Damp-Rid for years with nothing but excellent results. I put a small bucket in with my rifles and two packets in with my pistols - change em once a year. No problems ever...

+1 for Damp-Rid. I have one bucket in my gun safe and another in a gun "closet." It's amazing how much moisture these things collect. Get the cardboard carton of crystals to refill them when needed. Works like a charm.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has their safe in a similar basement situation. It's not furnished so it's more open to the elements than maybe some of yours are.

One of my storage spots doesn't exactly match yours, but has some similar elements. I have one storage cabinet in an unheated, uninsulated building. It doesn't have the constant humidity of a basement, but during spring and fall the temperature swings will result in conditions where condensation will form on metal surfaces. I have one 18" Goldenrod in a standard 2 door office supply cabinet, and have yet to see any signs of rust inside, on anything. Metal items outside that cabinet are a constant battle when condensate forms and starts rusting.

I don't think the Goldenrod heaters lower humidity so much as they create a slightly warmer environment than that outside the container, so there's never a cold surface to let water condense on. Of course, it's been years since I took physics, so I could be wrong. Whatever it is, it works for me!

im sure this is a dumb question, but how do you keep the thing plugged in when the safe is closed? do you put a hole on it?

+1 for Damp-Rid. I have one bucket in my gun safe and another in a gun "closet." It's amazing how much moisture these things collect. Get the cardboard carton of crystals to refill them when needed. Works like a charm.

Most of the crystal dessicants can be restored by moderate oven heating.

The problem with crystal dessicants, though, is that if you don't change (or renew) them in time, they become a source of water vapor in their own right.

Back
Top Bottom