• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Golden rod or light bulb?

FLHTC

NES Member
The Golden Rod in my safe burnt out, thisbisbthe second one. I noticed a spot of surface rust one of my guns. Long story short a fellow shooter suggested a 40W light bulb would do the same thing as the Golden Rod. The advantages would be that you see when the build expires and you may get some light from the bulb.

Anyone do this, opinions???

Thank you

The Golden Rod in my safe burnt out, thisbisbthe second one. I noticed a spot of surface rust one of my guns. Long story short a fellow shooter suggested a 40W light bulb would do the same thing as the Golden Rod. The advantages would be that you see when the build expires and you may get some light from the bulb. Anyone do this, opinions??? Thank you
I would go with a length of rope light rather than a light bulb. Same advantages, plus it is not as fragile, and the heat is more diffuse, won't melt the safe lining.

Last edited:
How about none of the above

Start using VCI bags and/or vci inhibitors you can put into the safe

Uses no electricity and is effective for long periods of time

Please define long periods of time?

How does 20 years sound if you do it right

You have stuff that you just collect/dont shoot for years on end and you should consider cleaning them well, putting them into VCI bags and sealing them up tight

http://www.zcorrproducts.com/pages/how-it-works#faq

I've been using VCI strips in safes for years without ever encountering rust issues

I don't do anything right, I'm a man. Thanks I'll look into it

I have done it and had no problems. The fixture I used was like a fish aquarium type that used the long hotdog shaped bulbs. I used a low watt bulb as well, under 20 watt if memory serves me.

Back
Top Bottom