Gold and silver prices are down

I don't think either side gives a damn about the stimulus. They just want to be the party that basks in the glory of getting the stimulus done for the American people.

This is all about election year politics.
Truth hurts....my stocks. Legacy SJC is no.1 priority for the elephants. Re-election for Donny. Witnessing the addiction to Fed printing and/or Congressional stimulus by the markets is very bad for the future.

I don't think either side gives a damn about the stimulus. They just want to be the party that basks in the glory of getting the stimulus done for the American people.

This is all about election year politics.

The stimulus package is full of leftist wet dream funding - it's 50% pork and 15% handout to the masses. The amazing thing is they packed it so full of ridiculous stuff that's it's clearly not intended to be viable.

Maybe they think the public is onboard with all the pork so they're just making Republicans look bad. But the Dems seem to miscalculate a lot.

I've been reading this site for a while. I stay on the current day and read all the new posts.

I’m a new collector? Invester? (started Aug of this year) after reading up on some of this, small collection of mixed metals so far.

I have a couple questions if anyone can help out with advice;

Is it best to store each round / bar in the airtite cases? I have all my rounds so far in those single airtight or direct fit cases and then all those stacked in airtight tubes, and just ordered some cases for the 10oz bars also as the packaging they come in seems cheap and will split over time.

With that, I’m having a hard time finding any cases that will fit the off shape/off size silver ‘poured’ bars, how do you all store those?

Cleaning; I put all these in their cases with bare hands, does that matter? Should they all be wiped clean before putting them in cases and not touched by bare hands?

I have one 1oz silver round challenge coin from the early 90’s that is now getting some orangey marks around the side edges of the face/back, not being a jewelry guy, do I just use regular jewelry cleaner and a soft cloth on this to clean it?

I just want to make sure I’m keeping these all pristine (if that matters?) so I’m not actually hurting my own investment by fondling them when they arrive and then putting them away with oil or whatever from my hands. Thanks for any advice on this.

Last edited:
I’m a new collector? Invester? (started Aug of this year) after reading up on some of this, small collection of mixed metals so far.

I have a couple questions if anyone can help out with advice;

Is it best to store each round / bar in the airtite cases? I have all my rounds so far in those single airtight or direct fit cases and then all those stacked in airtight tubes, and just ordered some cases for the 10oz bars also as the packaging they come in seems cheap and will split over time.

With that, I’m having a hard time finding any cases that will fit the off shape/off size silver ‘poured’ bars, how do you all store those?

Cleaning; I put all these in their cases with bare hands, does that matter? Should they all be wiped clean before putting them in cases and not touched by bare hands?

I have one 1oz silver round challenge coin from the early 90’s that is now getting some orangey marks around the side edges of the face/back, not being a jewelry guy, do I just use regular jewelry cleaner and a soft cloth on this to clean it?

I just want to make sure I’m keeping these all pristine (if that matters?) so I’m not actually hurting my own investment by fondling them when they arrive and then putting them away with oil or whatever from my hands. Thanks for any advice on this.
@cams, the only thing that I would be concerned about protecting with covers are the numismatics, as they are usually worth more for there rarity and collectability. (and only certain numismatics at that.)

With regards to bullion, no additional protection is required, and the value (in most cases) will neither increase or decrease unless actual loss of metal weight occurs.
I have all kinds of PMs in various states of complexion. (silver being the biggest variable) Milk spots/rainbow tones/bronzy/full tarnish. All retain the same value as their weight and the SPOT price.

Now if you are a Collector, things will be much different than if you are an Investor. You can be both also...

Bullion can be stored in a Chivas Regal bag... Numismatics in air-tites. U.S. & Foreign Coin Size Chart

1601855721181.png1601855868323.png

Oh, custom poured bars which are not of uniform dimensions can be vacuum-sealed if desired, but are generally stored in protective cases.

Standard Brand Name houses do have uniform stamped bars and can be stored in air-tites... but not needed.

Thanks Matthew, @enbloc, appreciate the info! I’m pretty OCD about my equipment being maintained to a certain standard, so I’ll have to learn some more as I go. Maybe because I’m new to it I’m trying to hard to maintain the brand new shiny looks of it all. Wasn’t sure if everyone did this or if others just toss/pile them all into a safe like bricks of ammo and forget about them over the years.

I saw that they sell cleaner at JM Bullion where I’ve been purchasing, and didn’t know if that’s what people use or just a regular silver jewelry cleaner type thing for half the cost. 🤷‍♂️

Another reason for also wanting to keep them nice and shiny is that they will be (if not used during the apocalypse) a parting gift for when I’m no longer wasting oxygen around here, sort of like a treasure chest.

I get that, but in the long run a vacuum sealer will cost less than the air-tites and may be used with so many other items.
It would be a really good multi-use investment. (PMs/food/ammo/documents)

As to cleaners I've used this for 15 years without any harm or damage to coins.

1601857074644.png1601857904952.png

HOWEVER! Investment Numismatics should never be dipped/polished/cleaned, and rarely if ever handled.

Last edited:
"Flips" are good for Government coins, and are like little, clear protective "wallets"...
Very inexpensive, but will not stop oxidation on silver...
View attachment 396498

This may add to your research:
How to Store a Coin Collection

Thanks, ya a couple coins I bought came in flips, one was already torn by the time it arrived, def not up to standard.

Do the rounds that are “antiqued” fit into the numismatic catagory? I have a couple with certain themes or scenes on them for a more personal touch and they have the fake antiquing colors to them, is that what you mean by that?

Last edited:
Thanks, ya a couple coins I bought cake in flips, one was already torn by the time it arrived, def not up to standard.

Do the rounds that are “antiqued” fit into the numismatic catagory? I have a couple with certain themes or scenes on them for a more personal touch and they have the fake antiquing colors to them, is that what you mean by that?
Unfortunately no. The "Antiqued" finish that is created on purpose does not usually add anything to the value. Only the esthetics. Some collectors however, will pay through the nose for the genuine "Rainbow" color of a Morgan Silver Dollar that was part of a long-hidden horde that has been documented and provenanced as such.

The higher valued ones usually have things like offset rings where another coin sat on it and effected its toning. This can be counterfeited too...

1601859590796.png

Some third party vendors will even paint coins in an attempt to increase their value. Which usually doesn't...

1601859438344.png

Last edited:
Is it best to store each round / bar in the airtite cases?

Air tight will stop toning as well as oxidation.

just ordered some cases for the 10oz bars also

All advice here has a personal opinion attached. If I had bars in my collection, I would vacuum pack them and let it go at that. Same for poured bars.

Yes it will matter over time. When you open one after not seeing it for a few years and see your black fingerprint on the silver, it will remind you to handle them differently. Funeral home white cotton gloves when handling silver with anything more than spot value.

Challenge coins are meant to be carried. Leave it alone. As a general rule, I never clean anything unless I eat with it. My kitchen table wear is all sterling. It is healthy to eat from silver.

Now a personal bit of advice: Sell some of that bullion and grab some uncirculated 2020 silver eagles. You will be happy with that decision.

Air tight will stop toning as well as oxidation.

All advice here has a personal opinion attached. If I had bars in my collection, I would vacuum pack them and let it go at that. Same for poured bars.

Yes it will matter over time. When you open one after not seeing it for a few years and see your black fingerprint on the silver, it will remind you to handle them differently. Funeral home white cotton gloves when handling silver with anything more than spot value.

Challenge coins are meant to be carried. Leave it alone. As a general rule, I never clean anything unless I eat with it. My kitchen table wear is all sterling. It is healthy to eat from silver.

Now a personal bit of advice: Sell some of that bullion and grab some uncirculated 2020 silver eagles. You will be happy with that decision.

Good info, thank you. I picked up 12 1984 I think (already put away in safe) of the silver Prospector rounds, really nice, and a 2020 Gold Buffalo/Indian Head 50.00 piece. Silver Eagles will be next, thanks!

The challenge coin is way too nice in silver to carry. I’ve already lost my carry coin somehow, drunk or laundry machine or something, and won’t carry my initial issue coin because I don’t want to lose that one. Way too many memories in that coin. The silver one I gave to my dad, but he’s since passed and am saving that for one of my sons.

ETA: as a brand new collector please feel free to treat me like a brand new gun owner and send any advice at all about the what too’s and what nots of doing this right for the most value and gain.

Last edited:
I've definitely had some start to tarnish in those mint tubes.
Yep. "Oxidation never sleeps..." [rofl2]

I have seen Air-tite stored ASEs tone up too. These are not perfect and can leak over time, but they are one of the best protections out there. If you want to be super-anal;
place worthy coins in Air-tites and then vacuum seal those in groups. Best method I've found to date. You can also vac-seal the ASE/Maple/Aussie coins for a tarnish-free environment.

Like I said, the Vacuum Sealer is really one of the most versatile pieces of equipment going, and should be on any good prepper's list...
~Enbloc

Last edited:
I just toss my coins in the strong box and close the lid... If I find that milk spotting or discoloration starts can that be cleaned up with those coin wipes?

It’s just couldn’t be Keynesian failures, it just couldn’t be. Remove that dollar from the gold peg and print as much as you want. These guys really are the village idiots...And what if they raised rates during the very first fiscal crisis after the fact? Oh wait, they did. And how did that work out?

They're worse than village idiots - they're academics and/or fed lifers. This particular dickhead has been at the fed his entire professional career, starting while he was working on his PhD.

It’s just couldn’t be Keynesian failures, it just couldn’t be. Remove that dollar from the gold peg and print as much as you want. These guys really are the village idiots...And what if they raised rates during the very first fiscal crisis after the fact? Oh wait, they did. And how did that work out?

He offers no solution, maybe implying they should have raised rates in good times?

Why don't they ever mention the reason the Fed keeps rates so low? Cause the US government spends too much, has too much debt and can't afford higher rates.

Uncirculated is just whatever pops out of a mint tube, right? $67?

Edit - just saw in the story that they say uncirculated is a step above the tubes but not quite numismatic. Still - $67?

Back
Top Bottom