1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

Discussion in 'Survival Forum' started by Rider, May 9, 2012.

1. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Mining stocks are not an indicator of the Gold Bullion market. Share or Stock, you own paper and Mining Comps have been misaligned from Gold for almost 10 years. Ton debt, CEOs bloated salaries, high operation costs etc.. IMHO Bullion is the better path, plus its liquid.

2. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

You have to be very picky with mining stocks, but I like them cause (a) easier to buy with 401k money than PMs, and (b) you get leverage - you aren't ever going to get a 10-bagger buying gold. I hope not anyway, that would be scary!

I use a paid newsletter mostly to pick mining stocks (or any individual stock), don't have time or inclination to do my own research. I will occasionally buy based on podcast mining experts, once I've seen they have a proven track record.

Woodsy likes this.
  3. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Be careful

1. Some of these "newsletters" have conflicts of interests - investments in, or promotional fees from, the stock issuer.

2. A newsletter buy recommendation can create a short-term unsustainable bump in the price as readers try to cash in on their "special info". This is especially true of small thinly traded companies ... a newsletter recommendation probably won't bump the price of IBM.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Woodsy likes this.
  4. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

I bought the exchange traded fund SLV last week after a little bit of research on silver. I'm hoping to hold long term and silver goes from 13 to 50 or so.

5. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I think a newsletter I used like 10 years ago did that - they'd list something and whoosh, the stock would go up, and within a week or month it was trash.

This one is very different - he'll recommend something, and it either won't move, or it'll go down - clearly his readership is not moving the stock, probably cause these are really long-term value stocks, not growth stocks. He does also make short-term recommendations on ETFs like Short Emerging Markets, Long Energy or Natural Gas. I'd stayed away from those, his track record is like 50/50 on those in the short time I've used him.

6. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

>This one is very different - he'll recommend something, and it either won't move, or it'll go down

So do you look at his recommendations and short them?

7. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I own some SLV, but bought it before I listened to a hundred hours of podcasts about PMs and miners. Imo, it's better to buy either physical silver, or a top-notch silver miner like First Majestic or McCewen Mining - simply cause they're solid companies that aren't going to disappear, and they go WAY down when silver is low, and WAY up when silver goes up. First Majestic is a steal at current $5 or below. If silver goes back to $18, First Majestic will probably triple.

There is some danger in SLV, that if silver were to skyrocket, say from $20 to $40 overnight, the ETF is legally able to say "here's your shares, at $20, we are not able to give you the $40 price due to market conditions". So you'll get your money back, but you won't get the big gain in the price. I don't worry about that, but it's possible.

8. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Lol, no, balls too small.

Most things gold and silver go nowhere but down these days. Which I'm happy with since I'm buying.

9. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Best deal I've seen yet. 15% off any PMs not in bullion category. Use coupon code pickupsale, max discount is $75 and must have all items in a single order. One time use only.

Here's an example, 25 silver maples for $0.55 over spot.

Roll of 25 - 2018 Canada 1 oz Silver Maple Leaf $5 Coins GEM BU Coins SKU49796 | eBay

Unfortunately the Apmex coins will all have Mass tax, sell best dealer is MCM, who doesn't charge tax.

20 silver Eagles for like $0.90 over spot.

Roll of 20 Coins - 2018 American Silver Eagle $1 GEM BU Coin SKU51559 | eBay

10. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

MA exempts PMs from sales tax on purchases over $1K (one site claims this does not apply to South African or Nabian coins). Does Ebay recognize this?

11. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Yes they do, but the deal is only good for $75 discount so like $500 items.

12. Win

Win NES Member

With all of the political chaos, market downturn, and economic uncertainty I was sure metals would jump this morning

enbloc likes this.
  13. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

You would think so, but all this, is kabuki theater...

Win likes this.
  14. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

The Markets are getting hit with so many rights, they're begging for a left...
    This alone should have made PM's bump up a few percentage points.
    I hate that the TPTB mess with things...

Win likes this.
  15. witchphd

witchphd NES Member

16. sacksjacked

sacksjacked NES Member

I never buy any miner stock. For the most part they are poorly run and pay very little to no divodends for me to wait for a turnaround. Their charts look pathetic. I only buy the physical PM. Have zero interest in miners stocks. A company who supplies miners and pays good dividends is something else I would rather own. Thats my .02

17. clampett

clampett NES Member

A few pages back I mentioned that Boston bullion had closed, I was wrong, they didn't close, they moved up the street about a 1/4 mile. The new address is 127 Cambridge St Burlington, Ma.
    Ken will meet you by appointment. He is selling ASE at $2.63 over spot. www.bostonbullion.com

18. richc

richc NES Member

19. richc

richc NES Member

Looks like gold closed slightly above $1300 last night. And silver jumped a fair bit as well.

Win likes this.
  20. Win

Win NES Member

I think the Fed mentioned something about slowing or ending QT

21. richc

richc NES Member

Gold and silver popped 1%+ after Powell's comments. They're moderating rate hikes and specifically mentioned slowing demand in China and the EU, the Brexit situation and gov't shutdown.

ETA: Gold around $1320 and silver over $16.

22. Win

Win NES Member

Bought my daughter one of the 2011 (her birth year) 1 Kilo "Year of the Rabbit" coins on eBay. $639. Not bad.

richc and enbloc like this.
  23. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Only if you heat it.

enbloc and Woodsy like this.
  24. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

And form it into 40 cal rounds

enbloc likes this.