• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going to the mall

what's the protocol on carrying in a mall? i did a preliminary search and didnt see anything pertaining to it. i was told malls are private property and as such i could be kicked out, is this the case? and what are your experiences?

If you have a MA LTC ALP and are not open carrying then who the hell will know if you have a gun or not? I'm pretty sure Malls or any other department store doesn't have gun laws in plain view for the general public to see.

Of course malls are private property and you can be kicked out, for plenty of reasons. But what reason would they have? Were you planning on waving your gun around when you got there?

Learn the places where guns are prohibited by law and don't carry there. Don't worry about anywhere else unless you see a sign when entering or there are metal detectors.

The protocol for carrying in a mall is the same as carrying anywhere else. Carry your gun, and carry it concealed. If they see your gun and ask you to leave (or ask you to leave for pretty much any other reason), then you have to leave.

Concealed means concealed. Obey the laws. If told to leave, leave. That's about it.

The specific MGL was posted in another thread here said that in order to be charged with trespassing, one of two conditions must be met:
1. The person in control of the property must tell you to leave (probably head of security in the mall).
2. A sign posted conspicuously that says no trespassing.

If you keep it concealed, no one can tell you to leave because of your gun. I have yet to see a mall or any store that has a sign at the door that says no trespassing.

A few malls have signs which prohibit the open carrying/display of weapons, groups of people hanging around, drinking alcoholic beverages, drugs, etc. These rules are aimed mostly at teenagers, who tend to cause most of the problems in these places. I have walked through these malls on many different occasions with concealed knives, saps, pepper spray and other weapons without a problem. Just maintain a low profile and you will be fine.

I never read signs, unless it's says SALE on it in big red letters.. I would go with the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy..

It depends on the manual of arms for your particular firearm, but generally speaking you direct the muzzle into the clearing barrel. Then you remove the magazine, clear the chamber, pull the trigger, rack the action, and place the weapon on safe. If the mall you're frequenting doesn't provide clearing barrels, assume it is a hot mall and proceed.

The mall parking lot is one place where statistically you have a higher than normal chance of needing a pistol.

Since attacks usually happen between the mall doors and the car, leaving the pistol in the car is a really bad idea, sign or no sign.

The mall parking lot is one place where statistically you have a higher than normal chance of needing a pistol.

Since attacks usually happen between the mall doors and the car, leaving the pistol in the car is a really bad idea, sign or no sign.

especially during the holiday season...don't know who's lurking in those parking lots

yeah

last year I was waiting in my truck for the little woman while she ran into sears @ Pheasant lane mall when two gentlemen tried the door handles. Never saw someone run that fast before, just wanted to show them the new sights I put on my S&W 28. [smile]

last year I was waiting in my truck for the little woman while she ran into sears @ Pheasant lane mall when two gentlemen tried the door handles. Never saw someone run that fast before, just wanted to show them the new sights I put on my S&W 28. [smile]
You are lucky that they didn't make a 911 cell call about a man with a gun, giving a description of your truck and your location. The police response to that kind of call would not have been pleasant for you.

I believe my rights are more important than a criminal's

Gotta love the holiday season. Need eyes in the back of your head sometimes.

You are lucky that they didn't make a 911 cell call about a man with a gun, giving a description of your truck and your location. The police response to that kind of call would not have been pleasant for you.

... especially if they showed the responding officer they had a similar truck parked nearby and accidentally went to the wrong vehicle.

a sign saying you cant open carry? well that goes without saying since half of the mall is in Tyngsboro, MA

Well, IIRC only the southern parking lots are technically in MA. The mall itself is definitely in NH.

Further, open carry is legal in MA, outside of the slight possibility of
"unsuitable person".

IIRC when doobie was around, some of his buddies OCed in PLM, they didn't last very long. Some stuff about them getting kicked out of the food court by mall cops and being forced to leave their food there. So it goes without saying, that if you want to go shopping, cover up. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Well, IIRC only the southern parking lots are technically in MA. The mall itself is definitely in NH.
They probably built it that way on purpose for sales tax reasons.

If the mall itself crossed state lines, there would be a rental rate differential with the NH units commanding higher prices - sort of like how apartments just outside Philadelphia (which has a city income tax) cost more than ones just inside the city.

They probably built it that way on purpose for sales tax reasons.

If the mall itself crossed state lines, there would be a rental rate differential with the NH units commanding higher prices - sort of like how apartments just outside Philadelphia (which has a city income tax) cost more than ones just inside the city.

It's actually screwier than that. When they started to build the mall, the plans called for a corner of the building to cross over into Mass slightly (the edge of Sears that abuts the south parking lot). DOR started telling them that since part of the building was in Massachusetts, all sales anywhere in the building would be subject to Mass sales tax. (I have no idea whether this would have held up in court, but it was shortly after DOR had lost their big case against Cuomo's and, probably hoping to get some in the win column, that was their position.) Instead, having started to crow a bit too soon, they were confronted with a last minute change in the plans, removing the offending corner of the building. If you look at an aerial view of the mall using Google (maps or earth), you'll see that something seems to be missing from the building, right where the state line runs along the sidewalk in front of Sears.

Ken

Cool. I see the corner cutout to which you refer on the Google Maps satellite image, but it looks like Google shows the state line a bit north of that corner.

Cool. I see the corner cutout to which you refer on the Google Maps satellite image, but it looks like Google shows the state line a bit north of that corner.

And GoogleEarth is even farther off - it's got the state line going through the middle of the mall. [rolleyes]

I knew GoogleEarth showed the state line and essentially the same images, but hadn't checked it. For some reason Google Maps doesn't overlay boundary details consistently; sometimes the line shows along the sidewalk (where it actually is), other times a bit to the north or south.

Ken

Yeah, google maps kinda cuts it off.

Of course this brings up another topic.... is "property agglomeration" for
legal purposes real?

For example, say I build a house on a piece of property that is functionally in NH (eg, it has an NH street address) but the reality is that 20% of it (say half of my backyard ) is in MA... does that mean that there is a separate tax assessment on that land in MA, or does the NH side simply count that instead, eg, "absorbing" the land?

I wonder if anyone owns a house that is also physically in both states... that'd get kinda hairy. [shocked]

In the case of PLM it's pretty obvious that there are separate parcels, but it's a lot simpler to divide it too, because the parking lots on the south end are huge and are easily separated from the mall... eg, you don't have a building sitting right on the border.

-Mike

I wonder if anyone owns a house that is also physically in both states... that'd get kinda hairy.
The entrance road to Harvard Sportsmens is in Harvard. The ranges are in Boxboro. Much of the acreage is in Littleton.

Back
Top Bottom