• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going to start reloading

Hi All,
Im new to the forums and have decided to start reloading. I have read through all that was posted here and ordered a Dillon 550. I got powder, primers, and bullets at the gun show this past weekend. But here is where i'm a bit confused. Where do I get the proper amount of powder (recepies) for my reloading. Does it make a difference what the original casing was (brand) and if a powder recommends that you use one brand primer as opposed to the winchesters I bought is this going to be an issue?

Thanks for everything I've alraedy learned and any help you have.

Andrew

Welcome to NES, Macusr!

As for where to get info on loads, there are several standard reloading books that have loads worked up already. I have the Lyman book, but I've used Speer in the past - both are excellent reference works. (I'd find some links for you but I'm behind a firewall that won't allow me to access a "weapons" site at the moment.)

Ross

Andrew, welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy it here!

Buy the Lyman and Speer reloading guides, do a lot of reading there before trying to do any reloading.

YES, case brand matters as the volume in one mfr's case may be different than another mfr and this translates to changes in pressure. Too much pressure and you can damage the gun and possibly injure yourself.

Every component matters, so you can't arbitrarily trade brands or models (primers, powder) and assume everything is OK because it may not be OK.
Follow the recipes to the letter and you won't have any trouble.

First off, welcome to the forum...

2nd... you did the right thing buying a Dillon. Where did you get it from?

3rd... As for recipes a great place to start is the powder manufactures website. If you bought a Hodgon powder then just go to www.hodgon.com and look up the type of powder you bought. There are charts that will tell you which bullet weights and what the MAX charges for that bullet weight and powder are. Start 10% less than what they have listed and work your way up (or down) from there. If the powder charge listed is say 5.0 grains start with 4.5 grains.

As for cases it is a good rule of thumb to use the same cases to get consistant ammo. However, in most circumstances most brands will be comparable. When I load .40 S&W I grab whatever cases I have esp. for practice and haven't had any issues. With my .38 super I use one brand of brass and only pick up MY brass to reload. I buy this brass new and it only goes thru my gun.

What caliber are you going to be loading for and which bullet/powder/primer combo did you buy and for what reasons? Also, what type of shooting will you be doing? formal target, IPSC, IDPA, Bowling Pins, Steel matches, etc?

First off, welcome to the forum...

2nd... you did the right thing buying a Dillon. Where did you get it from?
Off of ebay to save a bit of money....It seemed to be a good deal
3rd... As for recipes a great place to start is the powder manufactures website. If you bought a Hodgon powder then just go to www.hodgon.com and look up the type of powder you bought. There are charts that will tell you which bullet weights and what the MAX charges for that bullet weight and powder are. Start 10% less than what they have listed and work your way up (or down) from there. If the powder charge listed is say 5.0 grains start with 4.5 grains.

As for cases it is a good rule of thumb to use the same cases to get consistant ammo. However, in most circumstances most brands will be comparable. When I load .40 S&W I grab whatever cases I have esp. for practice and haven't had any issues. With my .38 super I use one brand of brass and only pick up MY brass to reload. I buy this brass new and it only goes thru my gun.

What caliber are you going to be loading for and which bullet/powder/primer combo did you buy and for what reasons? Also, what type of shooting will you be doing? formal target, IPSC, IDPA, Bowling Pins, Steel matches, etc?
Pretty much just standard target. I am trying to save money, and I wanted the experience of reloading. I' ve been collecting my own winchester 38 spc and 40 S&W casings for the past few weeks/month or there abouts, I bought bullseye powder, winchster primers and I don't recall what brand of bullets.

Also make sure go buy a pair of calipers so you can get the correct measurements on your ammo.

Do you have access to a chronograph? That way you will know your velocities which is quite important.

Back
Top Bottom