Going to pull bullets on some bad powder reloads....need advice.

whacko

NES Member
I have about 250 357 magnum rounds that are no good. Bad batch of powder.....confirmed.....don't need advice on how to try to get them to work......they are definitely junk. So....I'm gonna get a bullet pulling hammer thingamabob......because in this current primer situation I NEED those primers. My question is once I use the thingamabob whats next? Do I have to run the cases through the resizer at all or just flair.....fill....seat.....crimp? If I have to resize it'll automatically deprime worh my dies and I don't want to lose those primers......

How would you all proceed?

Depending on the type/brand of resizing die you are using, just remove the depriming pin and resize and re bell the cases. No need to deprime.
They are lee dies from the 3 die Lee set. Is the pin removable? I'll have to check. But......they definitely need to be resized? Can't just rebell sear and crimp?

I wouldn’t think you would need to resized they haven’t been fired. As to the bullet puller hammer it’s a pain in ass. I just pulled a 100 rounds I was gifted and I wouldn’t wanna do 250. I’m thinking of either the rcbs or hornady collet bullet puller. It is a little more $ though.

I've broken three kinetic pulled pullers (hammer thingamabob) over the years. 250 is a lot of bullets to pull so I'd use a press mounted puller for that many. You shouldn't need to re-size but you'll probably have to bell the case mouth.
Just curious, what's wrong with the loading?
Confirmed batch of bad 2400 powder. Doesn't ignite well.....sometimes doesn't ignite at all leaving a projo in the bore with powder all packed behind it. If it does ignite its all over the place on report and velocity. I tried a ton of different solutions but none helped at all. There's posts about it in the what did you do in your reloading room thread.

Confirmed batch of bad 2400 powder. Doesn't ignite well.....sometimes doesn't ignite at all leaving a projo in the bore with powder all packed behind it. If it does ignite its all over the place on report and velocity. I tried a ton of different solutions but none helped at all. There's posts about it in the what did you do in your reloading room thread.
Good to know.

With a Lee die, just loosen the nut on the top of the die and the depriming pin will fall out. For heavy bullets, the hammer works well but for light bullets or heavily crimped bullets, the collet puller works better. The hammer is a little slower than the collet but I think it would be better in this case unless the bullet is very light and heavily crimped. Pulling the bullet will begin to remove the crimp and flaring the case will remove the rest.

I push live primers out with my press with the depriming die. Just don't slam it with the pin and you should be fine. I never had one go off. t
i've done it also. [angry] really not advisable though.
I've broken three kinetic pulled pullers (hammer thingamabob) over the years. 250 is a lot of bullets to pull....
damn! you're an aggressive puller! still using my rcbs kinetic hammer that came with my starter kit 45 years ago. i have upgraded the collet. i got into a bad batch of 'lil gun i was using in 45 colt. had to pull 500 with the hammer. not fun but doable. it is time consuming. with no time restraints i did 50-75 a night until finished. it is a pain in the ass to screw, unscrew the top and remove the components but whadda gonna do.

damn! you're an aggressive puller! still using my rcbs kinetic hammer that came with my starter kit 45 years ago. i have upgraded the collet. i got into a bad batch of 'lil gun i was using in 45 colt. had to pull 500 with the hammer. not fun but doable. it is time consuming. with no time restraints i did 50-75 a night until finished. it is a pain in the ass to screw, unscrew the top and remove the components but whadda gonna do.
1. The plan is not to deprime anyway.
2. I ordered an rcbs puller. My plan is to pull 50.....and reload those......then pull 50 etc....so I should be ok.

I had to disassemble a bunch of 357 magnum rounds with fairly aggressive roll crimp. It took about a half dozen full swings onto my anvil to pop those suckers loose. Like driving a 16d spike with one swing.

Take the deprimer pin out and resize the brass. Always resize the brass if you pull the heads, new brass or buy pulled primed brass. Have fun wacking 250 rounds and don’t be gentle. I usually do it to a 2X4.
This.
Otherwise the bullets will most likely slide into the case without even flaring the case. Not a good idea for 357 magnum.

I have the kinetic bullet puller and the die style bullet puller set up in a Lee single stage press, One or 2 bullets the hammer works fine I have a 12”X12” X 1 1/2” steel block on the bench I hit it against, many times it takes a couple of decent whacks to remove the bullet from the casing. More than 2 or 3 I absolutely set the die in the single stage up. My wrists and elbows will be thankful. Buy the die set up it will be there for future events.IMG_20180204_151638_558.jpg

Last edited:
I have both the kinetic "hammer" and the Hornady press puller. In my limited experience, the puller works better on the longer bullets (my 30-06 rounds), while the kinetic works well on the shorter round nose (my 9mm). I was struggling to get the puller to "grab" the 9mm, and I was marring the bullet plating and/or the cases. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom