• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going to North Conway

Medic-554

NES Member
Hi all. I am currently waiting for my NH non res permit. I'm from Ma. I know I can open carry legally. However I'm going to North Conway on May 10 for some train ride that my inlaws want to do with my daughter. Going up in the morning doing the train then dinner then sleeping over for the night then coming home. I'm curious if I should not receive my permit in time I can legally put my glock unloaded in the trunk and locked up then open carry? And is it common in North Conway to open carry on this train ride and in a restaurant. Thanks for the help.

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

I think legaly you would be fine, but weather you can open carry in either destination would be up to them, their property their rules.

We stayed in Franconia last Summer for a week, went to N. Conway and lots of villages in the area. NEVER saw anyone open carrying. So many tourists from Quebec and MA that I think most would freak out.

Don't recall any <meaningless> "no gun" signs anywhere we traveled however.

In spite of the legality, unless you are with a bunch of "free staters" I have never seen anyone OC anywhere in NH.

My understanding is that you could carry concealed with a loaded mag in your pocket so long as you do not have a round in the chamber and the mag is not in the firearm.

Title XII Chapter 159 Section 159:4
159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.
Source. 1923, 118:4. PL 149:4. RL 179:4. 1951, 151:1. RSA 159:4. 1967, 220:3. 1973, 528:84. 1994, 48:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995

Last edited:
i have been to north conway many times and have NEVER seen anyone OC'ing. i think if someone OC'd at the outlets in north conway with so many women and their kids around there would be a lot of sreaming and panicking. my .02

Well alrighty then. Leave it at home. Got it. Thanks for all the replies. I think I can leave it locked in a lock box in the trunk why take the chance. Thank you all very much for the info. However, should I change my mind and you guys hear on the news about an armed gunman on a train. That's probably me. Lol. Just kidding.

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

We stayed in Franconia last Summer for a week, went to N. Conway and lots of villages in the area. NEVER saw anyone open carrying. So many tourists from Quebec and MA that I think most would freak out.

In spite of the legality, unless you are with a bunch of "free staters" I have never seen anyone OC anywhere in NH.

I have been going to Hampton beach in the summer for as long as I can remember and I can honestly say I have never ever saw not one single person OC'ing either. I think it's a myth honestly that they are allowed too OC. Lol

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

I would never OC in North Conway (I have considered it). It is filled with many Mass folks who would faint.

Then let them faint. This in NH, not MA. How they feel is not our problem. If they don't like it, well, you know.....

Just an FYI, the wife and I were there 2 weeks ago. We saw 3 people open carrying. Really, it isn't a big deal. I do it quite often there.

Are you guys serious? The mass-paranoia is strong in this thread!

I LIVE up here and open carry very often, never once have I gotten so much as a second look.

And as for fainting libtards, let them faint, this isn't their home.

I LIVE up here and open carry very often, never once have I gotten so much as a second look.

Yeah , this. Will I don't prefer OC it's not the sheep I'm worried about it's the wolves.

I'm curious if I should not receive my permit in time I can legally put my glock unloaded in the trunk and locked up then open carry? And is it common in North Conway to open carry on this train ride and in a restaurant. Thanks for the help.

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

The only requirement is that your glock be unloaded when you transport it in your car. If you want to lock it up, lock it up. If you want to wear it concealed in your holster, wear it concealed in the holster. If you want to toss it up on the dash, toss it up on the dash. Once out of your vehicle, you can load up and holster, so long as it is not concealed. Yes, it is perfectly legal to open carry while enjoying your festivities.

With that said, I don't think you can legally open carry on this train ride.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-4.htm

No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided.

Is a train a vehicle? Probably.

It doesn't much matter if open carry is common. It is legal.

If you receive your license in time, then you are free to conceal or open carry, as you wish, at all times, assuming you don't enter a court house or area used by a court.

I'm not sure if some people are joking or not, but I have a strong urge to neg rep everyone who is saying not to open carry because it scares them and other people...

I'm not sure if some people are joking or not, but I have a strong urge to neg rep everyone who is saying not to open carry because it scares them and other people...
You can do what you please, but use common sense, you are with your family and kids, and if some tourist calls 911 and reports "man with gun" walking around, or if Conway Railway doesn't allow it on the train, you have just created a scene you really don't want to deal with. Enjoy your vacation with your family.
If you want your weapon with you, carry it unloaded in the trunk, and keep it with you in the motel. Common Sense, think about it. If you already knew your answer you would not have asked this question on an open forum with all our opinions.

Yep! ^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

You can do what you please, but use common sense, you are with your family and kids, and if some tourist calls 911 and reports "man with gun" walking around, or if Conway Railway doesn't allow it on the train, you have just created a scene you really don't want to deal with. Enjoy your vacation with your family.
If you want your weapon with you, carry it unloaded in the trunk, and keep it with you in the motel. Common Sense, think about it. If you already knew your answer you would not have asked this question on an open forum with all our opinions.

I should neg rep you for not recognizing the obvious fact I'm not the person who started this thread.

And for dropping the "it's common sense to not open carry'' BS.

The only valid point in this whole sheep screed.

If the Railway doesn't allow it, then you have to return to your car and stow it, which can be a pain in the ass.

The rest of this is just sad. Really sad.

I should neg rep you for not recognizing the obvious fact I'm not the person who started this thread.

And for dropping the "it's common sense to not open carry'' BS.
Do whatever makes you happy. I do not see where I said its common sense not to open carry, I said for the person going on vacation with his family to use common sense and enjoy the day. I am just stating my opinion, as you are doing the same.

I do not see where I said its common sense not to open carry, I said for the person going on vacation with his family to use common sense and enjoy the day.

No, you said it was common sense to "carry it unloaded in the trunk, and keep it with you in the motel."

If you want your weapon with you, carry it unloaded in the trunk, and keep it with you in the motel. Common Sense, think about it.

Actual sense would tell you that a guy open carrying while out with his kids on vacation isn't a threat to anyone. But if you want to stick with 'common' sense instead of real sense, have at it.

Last edited:
Well alrighty then. Leave it at home. Got it. Thanks for all the replies. I think I can leave it locked in a lock box in the trunk why take the chance. Thank you all very much for the info. However, should I change my mind and you guys hear on the news about an armed gunman on a train. That's probably me. Lol. Just kidding.

If you don't want to open carry it, why not at least carry it concealed with empty chamber and a full magazine (or better two) in a pocket?

This might not save you in some situations where a fast draw would be required, but might save your day in various scenarios (e.g. mass shooter) where you would have enough time to load the pistol and protect your family from harm!

Hi all. I am currently waiting for my NH non res permit. I'm from Ma. I know I can open carry legally. However I'm going to North Conway on May 10

Depending on when you submitted your app you might luck out and get your nonres P/R license by then, making all of this moot.

-Mike

If youre comfortable oc'ing, then do it regardless of who might be offended/scared/faint/etc. If you prefer to cc, do it unloaded with a mag in your pocket.

I prefer cc, but with that said...

- a shit load of people wont even notice youre carrying even if youre oc.

- of the ones who do notice, they'll either assume youre a cop, or they wont care one way or the other.

If its holstered and out in the open, I really cant picture someone calling the police to report a man with a gun, unless its some demented lib retard who knows what the deal is and is just being a dick. Ive heard tons of talk here about the whole man-with-a-gun thing happening. I could be wrong, but I dont recall ever hearing about it actually happening, though.

I have spent much time in NH over many, many years, and have NEVER seen anyone OCing save for a couple gunshop employees.

Not open carrying in an area where you can scare the moonbats.is using common sense.If I am a bad guy the first person I am going to kill is the guy with the gun out on his side. Instead of having a good time with your family you might have to spend it dealing with the police,but this is all new to me so I think you should have Bonesinium go down there,and show you how it's done.

Not open carrying in an area where you can scare the moonbats.is using common sense.If I am a bad guy the first person I am going to kill is the guy with the gun out on his side. Instead of having a good time with your family you might have to spend it dealing with the police,but this is all new to me so I think you should have Bonesinium go down there,and show you how it's done.

Common sense doesn't mean it is legitimately sensible. But I digress. Went and got my haircut today, picked up some stuff for my car, all while open carrying. To my knowledge, no moonbats wet themselves. The cops weren't called. And I carried on with my day unmolested. And to think I was a whole 15 miles from MA too! Weird how real life works sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom