• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going to NH for the weekend

Hello All,

I have my LTC in MA, the wife and I are going to spend the weekend in NH. I've been reading in NH you do not need a permit or lic to carry. Just getting some input from people and their experience.

You will be surprised if you open carry, soccer moms will casually walk right by you without freaking out and scurrying their children away from you.

I believe you do need a non res license to carry in NH state parks.

Other than that, we are a constitutional carry state.

Got a source for that? I'm in NH state parks quite often, like the Mt. Washington state park, and I don't see any signs mandating a P&R or non-res to carry there. Doesn't seem to be a statute dealing with the issue in Chapter 159:

New Hampshire Statutes - Table of Contents

Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS

Maine does require a carry permit for some state parks, but I don't think NH does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

I have my LTC in MA, the wife and I are going to spend the weekend in NH. I've been reading in NH you do not need a permit or lic to carry. Just getting some input from people and their experience.
Open carry all the way!!!!😂😂😂I’ll be in NH this weekend too. It’s a great feeling!

I believe you're wrong here. A quick rundown of the RSAs shows no such requirement. If you know of one, could you share it?
Got a source for that? I'm in NH state parks quite often, like the Mt. Washington state park, and I don't see any signs mandating a P&R or non-res to carry there. Doesn't seem to be a statute dealing with the issue in Chapter 159:

New Hampshire Statutes - Table of Contents

Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS

Maine does require a carry permit for some state parks, but I don't think NH does.

I must be confused with Maine.

I let my non res Maine license expire when they went to constitutional carry.

Then i realized I should've renewed it for state park carry.

Now to do it, I would have to take another basic type of firearms class that i took around 2009, to have the certificate.

So kicking myself for that.

I did the same with my nh license, then I realized that i Iost the multi state reciprocity factor of the nh license, and so went and got it back.

I believe the no carry on ATV's in NH unless you have a permit reasoning originates from past Fish and Game laws, which when created were trying to enforce or keep folks from poaching, ex: loaded long gun in any vehicle, car, boat, etc, , all while presumably , hunting. And this is also the reason why any loaded long gun in any vehicle is not legal. There are other details that I am missing here, but this is a general statement, of why. This is on the list of many others to be changed.

Last edited:
lol. would love to know the 'logic' behind that.
Con Carry modified the general requirement for carry in the firearms section of the RSAs. The off-road vehicle-related carry stuff comes from fish and game RSAs in the 200s. It probably should have got all cleared at once, but there would be some holdouts buying the F&G argument that it would be used to get away with poaching activities or something like that. I know we had a list of carry-related RSAs when the thing was being drafted for the umpteenth times among the groups, so I can only assume the way to get consensus and pull in side (RKBA-agnostic type) votes to ensure passage was to keep it as simple as possible and avoid any side issues, including F&G naysaying it.

Hello All,

Carry your gun, no one will blink an eye. While here, buy lots of booze, fireworks, and PMAGs, bring them back to MA, break laws, make us proud.

There's literally nothing to experience. Unless you're carrying a gun on an ATV you don't need the license.... [laugh]
Unless you're carrying a gun on an ATV, on your own property, you don't need the license.
I don't think I've ever not ridden an ATV or my tractor with out being armed, but I'm always on my own property.

Back
Top Bottom