• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going to buy a shotgun, I have some questions.

I am going to buy a shotgun at KTP in Maine. Any one know how it works buying a shotgun there? I am from Mass by the way.

Now, can I buy one in any configuration or does it have to be Mass compliant?

Thanks!

(insert "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer here)

I assume you have your FID or LTC already, so the only sticking point would be a semi-auto shotgun that runs afoul of the states restrictions on "assault weapons" - e.g. the Saiga-12.

KTP has a NH storefront where they can do the transaction, so there's no problem with buying in an adjacent state.

Semi-auto's can't have more than one evil feature (usually pistol grip or detachable magazine) and the tube can't hold more than 5 shells (for which it was designed). You also have to file an FA-10 within 7 business days of the purchase.

What are you buying this shotgun for? Hunting, skeet, clays, home defense, etc....?

Semi-auto's can't have more than one evil feature (usually pistol grip or detachable magazine) and the tube can't hold more than 5 shells (for which it was designed). You also have to file an FA-10 within 7 business days of the purchase.

Capacity of more than 5 rounds in the tube is simply one evil feature, rather than a complete no no.

I'm sure jdubois will be along to correct me if I'm wrong but the detachable magazine is not an evil feature but a pre-requisite for the AWB to apply. With out a detachable magazine you can have as many evil features as you want.

I'm sure jdubois will be along to correct me if I'm wrong but the detachable magazine is not an evil feature but a pre-requisite for the AWB to apply. With out a detachable magazine you can have as many evil features as you want.
I thought the prerequisite was that a shotgun IS semi-auto. It could also be that the shotgun also has to possess either a detachable magazine or a tube with capactiy greater than 5 rounds. I can never seem to find the shotgun AWB laws when I try to [thinking]

You are correct. I was wrong. I keep thinking that the AWB is the same for shotguns and rifles.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48231&highlight=saiga
It's okay, I was wrong about the tube capacity. So you can have a Benelli Supernova with the factory pistol grip, but not the tube extension. Or you could have the factory tube extension, but not the pistol grip. It's also what prevents you from being able to convert the Saiga to the way it was meant to be [sad2]

Confusing the shotgun and rifle AWB laws is what caused State Line to chop the threads off of my Saiga-12 too [angry]

I could check the "legal section", but does it have to be an adjacent state for a long gun purchase?
No. AFAIK the "adjacent state" restriction was a federal restriction that was repealed some time ago.

Last edited:
If you buy at KTP take delivery at their NH store to avoid the MAine sales tax. I bought 2 shotguns there years ago and they trucked them over to NH for me to save the taxes (at no charge to me). It added a total of 20 minutes to my transaction! I thought it was the coolest thing in the world to walk out of the store with 2 shotguns slung over my shoulder...no bags or case or locks! I did of course lock them up "properly" to transport them into the People's Republic!!

Then of course there is the requisite "registration" via an FA10 form when you get home.

That plain sucks. Did you get them to pony up some $$$ for their major screw up?
Nope, by the time I found out it was months later and it wasn't worth the hassle to me. The younger guy that works I don't mind, but the older guy (owner I believe) I've never had good dealings with. Some people like them, but I can't say I'll give them any more of my business. That and they wouldn't sell me an early 1990 production G20 stating that it wasn't registered in the state prior to OCT-98 [thinking]

This shotgun will be for home defense.

So, ask them to bring it down to NH for the purchase?
I can't have a collaspable stock and the pistol grip, I have to have one or the other?
How many rounds can the tube hold?

This shotgun will be for home defense.

So, ask them to bring it down to NH for the purchase?
No, you can buy it in Maine no problem.
I can't have a collaspable stock and the pistol grip, I have to have one or the other?
How many rounds can the tube hold?

If it is a pump it can have whatever you want on it. If it is a SEMI-AUTOMATIC it can only have one of the evil features.

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Now, can I buy one in any configuration or does it have to be Mass compliant?

Under Federal law you can only buy a long gun in another state if it's legal to posess it in your home state, meaning it has to be a Mass. legal gun (no post ban AW's, etc.).

I've always had a similar question about buying out of state.

If I'm reading it correctly, you can buy a long gun in an adjacent state and drive it home to MA without an out of state permit?

Does the same apply for handguns as well?

/hijack

If I'm reading it correctly, you can buy a long gun in an adjacent state and drive it home to MA without an out of state permit?
Yes, and in any state, not just adjacent ones. It does have to be from or through a dealer and they cannot sell you something that you cannot legally possess in your home state.

/hijack
No. Handguns are different. They have to go through a dealer in your state of residence.

If you want a semi-auto shotgun that comes stock with a six round capacity and the pistol grip, is their any legal way to reduce the capacity to 5 rounds? I would think the alteration would have to be made permanent in some way.

FWIW, CT seems to be the same as above:

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

I would go anywhere else but KTP. [laugh]

If you stick to something tube fed (without a PG) legal problems are not an issue.

-Mike

1) You can buy a long gun from an FFL in any state. It doesn't have to be an adjacent state.

2) Out of state permit is not an issue under federal law. You merely have to obey the laws of both states.

No. You can buy a handgun from a private party who resides in your state of residence. You can buy a handgun from an FFL in your state of residence. If you buy a handgun from an FFL in a different state, you can not take possession of the handgun from that FFL -- the FFL must send it to an FFL in your state of residence. As a result, no you can't bypass the MA handgun protection laws/regulations by buying a handgun out of state.

Back
Top Bottom