• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going rate for Pre-Ban AR15 Mags

love the 10 round hexmags (its sad they need exist tho). i have paid $30 for dated preban mags and thought it was an acceptable price

I saw $25-35 depending on condition and location of date stamp.

I think I paid about $15 each for 30 round legit pre-ban Colt mags that appeared to be brand new, but that was a private sale and I bought a bunch all at once.

Anything over about $20 is rape unless they're refinished or something that adds value.

-Mike

I dunno, I like mine looking like they're 20+ years old. Maybe then some stupid LEO won't jack me up for them and cost me thousands to defend myself despite being innocent.

If you're that paranoid you might as well not have any "large capacity" magazines at all. It's not that hard for some guy to put a mag in a buffer and make it look old or something. It's up to them to prosecute you, just because something has a new coat of paint on it doesn't mean it's new. Hell you can get preban mags, dated, new in wrap if you really want to.

I have better things to worry about than mag provenance.

-Mike

If you're that paranoid you might as well not have any "large capacity" magazines at all. It's not that hard for some guy to put a mag in a buffer and make it look old or something. It's up to them to prosecute you, just because something has a new coat of paint on it doesn't mean it's new. Hell you can get preban mags, dated, new in wrap if you really want to.

I have better things to worry about than mag provenance.

-Mike

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Anything over about $20 is rape unless they're refinished or something that adds value.

-Mike

That sounds about right for used 30 rounders... maybe $25.00-$30.00 for NIW.

I'm not certain what the going rate is for 20 rounders, but in the past, they tended to cost as much, if not more than 30's.

Last edited:
Seems like I'm the idiot here. I've paid as much as $45.00 for Colt, New in bag, dated, pre ban, 30 round magazines.

Well, it's easier to find them at $45 than at $20, that's for sure. I think i paid $35 for my externally dated NIW ones. And $15 for cerakoting. :)

When I needed them, I thought $30 was reasonable. Now that I don't really need them, I'm not sure I would pay $30 for them. It's all relative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking to purchase, I would check the classifieds here. You can also check some local gun shops or wait for the Marlboro gun show next month.

Seems like I'm the idiot here. I've paid as much as $45.00 for Colt, New in bag, dated, pre ban, 30 round magazines.

Legit colt Pre 30s are kinda rare, but I can't see myself paying $45 for one unless it was for some particular reasons like having an old school colt rilfe and wanting to have colt mags with it "just because".

-Mike

Legit colt Pre 30s are kinda rare, but I can't see myself paying $45 for one unless it was for some particular reasons like having an old school colt rilfe and wanting to have colt mags with it "just because".

-Mike

There was a time, 2 or 3 years ago when a ton of these hit the wholesale market. The dealers were buying them for $12.00 each, by the case. Your are also correct in that they do look good with the Colt, pre ban, carbine.

Back
Top Bottom