Going rate for pewter?

I am a total newb when it comes to casting and am just starting to collect material.

Stopped by a thrift shop yesterday and saw some pewter for sale, but I have no idea what the going rate is.

What would you all say?

I am a total newb when it comes to casting and am just starting to collect material.

Stopped by a thrift shop yesterday and saw some pewter for sale, but I have no idea what the going rate is.

What would you all say?
If it is melted into ingots is one thing. You can find the price online. Last time I looked it was something like $20/lbs (several months ago).

If it is a plate or cup, it will depend. Some are collectibles and that is what you are paying for.

Your best bets of finding cheap cups and plates, look at Estate sales. Look at the pictures online before going. I scored several pounds at one for like $1 to $2/piece. No one wanted them.

Also, go to Savers.

Stay away from RWP stamped pewter. It is junk.

am i missing something ? Ive done a fair share of casting since the early 70's and never heard of using Pewter. Is this something new, or are you just curious about the price ? in that case it runs 5$ or less a pound.........
Pewter is mostly Tin. Very popular way to sweeten the alloy for short money.

I try not to pay more than a couple dollar per piece of pewter unless it’s a serious heavy piece.

Some candlesticks have cores of cement or plaster to give them weight. I generally will pay a couple bucks for small bowls, creamers etc. You can find them free in boxes left at the curb sometimes too. Don't overlook picture frames...some of them are pewter. I scored 12 lbs for $8 last year at a yard sale. One bowl alone was 3 pounds. I kept a cool duck figurine and an ebinezer scrooge candle holder from the melting pot from that lot.

Estatesales.net

Browse the pics. You will see the ones that have a lot of pewter, they always take a pic and you can tell what is the good stuff from the stuff that ends at Savers.

People usually don't touch the pewter.

Last edited:
Estatesales.net

Browse the pics. You will see the ones thst have a lot of pewter, they always take a pic and you can tell what is the good stuff from the stuff thst ends at Savers.

People usually don't touch the pewter.
depends on the location and whos going into savers. I have learned and met the 3 old ladies that grab all the pewter at local savers. For pewter I found one small antigue store near me that always has a decent box of "junk" its getting in there when thewy are open thats key. They dont post hours and from the owner "If the door is un locked we are open" so I have to drive buy and see if they are open

pewter depending on the alloy content is running $17-20/lb so if you know how much it weighs your doing good. thats a little over $1/oz
I prefer the tin solder keep and eye out for it. It does turn up.

I lb of pewter into 20llbs of range scrap will get you clsoe to 20/1 alloy with a hardness around 11-12

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom