Going for my RI Non-Res CCW permit through Woonsocket PD

Woonsocket isn't the only town to do this, Bristol does this as well.

I got mine from Johnston, took a little while because it was over the holidays but they were very good about it otherwise. Some towns are definitely more friendly about it than others, I think it’s worth a little investigating first. Lincoln, from what I hear, doesn’t give them. There’s a consultant who has good relationships w some of the towns and will guide/assist you through the process, Christian Pullano from Patriot Consulting Rhode Island and Massachusets Firearms Classes & Certifications He works out of AFS in North Attleboro (among other places).

Last edited:
Has any Mass resident been successful with the application process in Tiverton? Looked it over and it seems extensive like most, and that they make it more difficult or try and dissuade folks from applying.

tiverton wont do it, u should read their BS paper. bla bla bla it's a constitutional right but here's the requirements or u wont get it

I just applied for my RI Non Res in E. Greenwich. Holly said it would be about 8 weeks. Simple application process though they are scheduled 6-8 weeks out for appointments. No problems... no questions...no attitude I will update when I get the call

It's been 12 weeks..... ANy update? I apologize if I missed it but I just went through the thread again and do not see anything.

It's been 12 weeks..... ANy update? I apologize if I missed it but I just went through the thread again and do not see anything.

I applied on March 29th and got a call from Holly on May 24th to come and pick it up. Cost $40 for 4yrs. Exactly 8 weeks. Very easy to deal with. I would recommend to anyone to apply in E. Greenwich

Applied in person on scheduled appt date of May 31...Took 8 weeks from call to schedule to actual appt...Holly notes a good 7-8 week backlog and does not want to schedule more than 2 months out (too much can change between dates). Process was fast, friendly, and very easy. Great place. Told me in ~ 8 weeks I would receive the call to come and pick it up. I asked if she saw any issues and she said nope. Everything looked fine.

Hope is they don't get like some of the other PDs (Johnston comes to mind) that followed the law and get so overburdened and then start to slow down and holler Uncle to the Non-Res applicants...Then again if all PDs just followed the law with regard to CCW permitting.....but that's another thread...

Picked up my RI Non-Res yesterday. Exactly 8 weeks after application dropped off. Went with EG and not Woony…
No muss/No fuss.

Hey Woonsocket PD Lt Coloruo..You on line??? ASSHAT!!

Just have to SMH at the large differences in a state smaller than most counties out west...

Anyway, mission accomplished and no problems in entire process. Great friendly folks at the EGPD!

6-8 weeks for the appt and then another 8 for pickup if approved...Plan accordingly.

Good luck to any other MA applicants.

Kirk, Out.

I just applied for my RI Non Res in E. Greenwich. Holly said it would be about 8 weeks. Simple application process though they are scheduled 6-8 weeks out for appointments. No problems... no questions...no attitude I will update when I get the call
Thats a long wait. Good luck

Sorry to hear you had problems in Woonsocket. I will make a point to get an application from them and post it here for the next person who wants to apply.

Two days ago I made an APRA request by sending an email to the City Clerk to request the application. I contacted the Clerk since he/she was listed as the contact person for APRA requests for the City of Woonsocket. I specified that either the Chief of Police or Thomas Calouro had the application and my request could be forwarded to one of them. The following morning I got a call from Mr. Calouro saying that he had received my request. He was very polite and said he already had the application in an envelope and would send it out right away and I received the application the next day.

Two days ago I made an APRA request by sending an email to the City Clerk to request the application. I contacted the Clerk since he/she was listed as the contact person for APRA requests for the City of Woonsocket. I specified that either the Chief of Police or Thomas Calouro had the application and my request could be forwarded to one of them. The following morning I got a call from Mr. Calouro saying that he had received my request. He was very polite and said he already had the application in an envelope and would send it out right away and I received the application the next day.

Any updates? Did you ever get the application?

Yes, I got the application, but forgot to post it. I have gotten applications from every PD in the State and don't understand why people still are having problems getting applications. If they give you a hard time about it, just request it under APRA and they will have to give it to you by law and has worked for me. However, I had to sue one Chief and file several complaints with the AG with others, but now that every PD has applications it should not be an issue.

Attachments

• Woonsocket2018.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
This is probably a dumb question, but where do you get your fingerprints done to include with the application? Buy the cards and ink on Amazon, or something else? Thanks!

Yes, I got the application, but forgot to post it. I have gotten applications from every PD in the State and don't understand why people still are having problems getting applications. If they give you a hard time about it, just request it under APRA and they will have to give it to you by law and has worked for me. However, I had to sue one Chief and file several complaints with the AG with others, but now that every PD has applications it should not be an issue.

Wow. I just read that application.
There's a whole lot of information I'm NOT giving up.

I have definitely gotten used to living down here.

But more than that - I currently hold permits from Georgia, Connecticut, Florida, Utah, New Hampshire and Maine, (I let my Virginia permit lapse when I got my Georgia permit). I've had my fingerprints taken at least six times, had multiple background checks done, gone through I don't know how many NICS checks - and reading this form was invasive.

I got the distinct feeling that the department issuing it was simply looking for any reason to deny. I'm not a felon, not a drug user. And you want three character references? You want to know where I work? And who I report to? My social security number? I don't think so. These things aren't any of your business.

This is probably a dumb question, but where do you get your fingerprints done to include with the application? Buy the cards and ink on Amazon, or something else? Thanks!
They are usually done by the police department that is receiving your application. Failing that, you can also have them done at the Attorney General BCI division in Cranston. They have to be done by an LE agency.

They are usually done by the police department that is receiving your application. Failing that, you can also have them done at the Attorney General BCI division in Cranston. They have to be done by an LE agency.

Thank you very much. Seems strange that they indicate it needs to be submitted with the application.

Thank you very much. Seems strange that they indicate it needs to be submitted with the application.
Each department varies in how they do it, but generally they can do the prints when you submit the application. The AG office does them on a walk-in basis during normal business hours. There is a small charge (I think $5). Good luck.

I got the distinct feeling that the department issuing it was simply looking for any reason to deny. I'm not a felon, not a drug user. And you want three character references? You want to know where I work? And who I report to? My social security number? I don't think so. These things aren't any of your business.

it depends on the town. There are some RI towns that basically operate on a shall issue basis for nonresidents with carry licenses in their home states. That application looked similar to the one I filled out to get my RI nonres. It's a whole lot easier to get a non-res in RI than a res LTC in RI

Applied in person on scheduled appt date of May 31...Took 8 weeks from call to schedule to actual appt...Holly notes a good 7-8 week backlog and does not want to schedule more than 2 months out (too much can change between dates). Process was fast, friendly, and very easy. Great place. Told me in ~ 8 weeks I would receive the call to come and pick it up. I asked if she saw any issues and she said nope. Everything looked fine.

Hope is they don't get like some of the other PDs (Johnston comes to mind) that followed the law and get so overburdened and then start to slow down and holler Uncle to the Non-Res applicants...Then again if all PDs just followed the law with regard to CCW permitting.....but that's another thread...
So it take less time to get a non res in RI than it takes to get a LTC in the state you live in?

I would say that depends....For me and our Town and Chief, it actually took longer for my RI Non-Res than my MA Res . Our CoP is a pretty good guy in that regard. Last 3 times including the initial I left him a a message, got a call back either same day or next and he asked me when I wanted to come in. As early as 6 a.m. and as late as needed if work was a problem. Never waited more than a week for an appt to do the app (he does it himself including the original prints) and had unrestricted LTC back in ~30 days afterward.. I am scheduling the appt to renew next month so we'll see how it goes again but I am pretty sure it will be the same deal.

Picked up my RI Non-Res yesterday. Exactly 8 weeks after application dropped off. Went with EG and not Woony…
No muss/No fuss.

Hey Woonsocket PD Lt Coloruo..You on line??? ASSHAT!!

Just have to SMH at the large differences in a state smaller than most counties out west...

Anyway, mission accomplished and no problems in entire process. Great friendly folks at the EGPD!

6-8 weeks for the appt and then another 8 for pickup if approved...Plan accordingly.

Good luck to any other MA applicants.

Kirk, Out.

I am confused, where did you actually finally apply too? A city Pd or the state AG? If you applied with the a city PD, which one?

Back
Top Bottom