Going for my RI Non-Res CCW permit through Woonsocket PD

tcarter01

NES Member
Well, gonna give it a try for my Non-Res RI LTC through the Woonsocket PD...

Got the C&R, multiple State LTCs including both MA (res) & Ct on the borders, as well as my NRA Instructor creds...Should be a no brainer to do based on RI law as we have been understanding it.

So why do I feel like I am getting ready to screw up looking for the RI LTC by getting a denial?

Posted the same in the RIFOL forum; figured there may be some NESers who are not members of both and can also offer any recent info on the process with the newest Chief...

I just applied for my RI Non Res in E. Greenwich. Holly said it would be about 8 weeks. Simple application process though they are scheduled 6-8 weeks out for appointments. No problems... no questions...no attitude I will update when I get the call

I just applied for my RI Non Res in E. Greenwich. Holly said it would be about 8 weeks. Simple application process though they are scheduled 6-8 weeks out for appointments. No problems... no questions...no attitude I will update when I get the call

10/4 BarnBuilder...Sounds like a better way perhaps and maybe I should go your route..though since I literally live a stone's throw across the border and am in and out of Woony every day for shopping, food, and have family who live there I thought it would be practical to maintain the local effort...

Watching this thread, please keep us updated, I live in Bellingham at the south end, I’m a stones throw from the border. I want my RI ccw, fed up of determining where I’m going before I dress.

Good luck,

Harry

Harry, same with me...Live in Blackstone literally on the border by the cemeteries...Also want to get "dressed" the same no matter where I am heading.

OP I spoke with a Woonsocket resident and NRA Cert. Instructor . He said that he and his wife also an instructor have to qualify yearly. So they sign each other off. From what I hear try "greener" pastures

Yes they do have a qual as part of the application process. I did mine at American Firearms in Attleboro.
If we can get a group of interested people, I can do the qualification for you at Hopkinton. Comm2a donors only.

The hardest part about qualification is finding the Army L target, which we keep in stock at the club.

OP I spoke with a Woonsocket resident and NRA Cert. Instructor . He said that he and his wife also an instructor have to qualify yearly. So they sign each other off. From what I hear try "greener" pastures

But they did get issued and that is a plus...Thought I once saw a post somewhere that WPD stopped the annual certification requirement with the new chief but could be mistaken... ...NewportRI responded to my post in the RIFOL forum saying it shouldn't be bad and just stick to the process..He;s got good cred in the RI world and that's a plus coming from him...

Guess I'll know which way the wind is blowing when I step in the door and ask for the application...

If we can get a group of interested people, I can do the qualification for you at Hopkinton. Comm2a donors only.

The hardest part about qualification is finding the Army L target, which we keep in stock at the club.

I have the targets and can do it at Mansfield F&G for anyone interested.

Thanks Rob and Len...I also work right up the street from AFS so there is another option...Rob, no worries since I am a Comm2A donor few years going now...
Len, since I too am a member at Mansfield F&G, will probably reach out to you when that part is needed...

Thanks Rob and Len...I also work right up the street from AFS so there is another option...Rob, no worries since I am a Comm2A donor few years going now...
Len, since I too am a member at Mansfield F&G, will probably reach out to you when that part is needed...
It's not a scheduled "class", so just contact me and we'll set something up.

Well my stop by the WPD this afternoon to request an application went about as expected. First question was are you a Woonsocket resident??...Answer-No..Next statement was "You need to apply with the AG. We don't issue to non-residents."

[bs2]

I asked the Lt if that was really true since I knew others non-residents had gotten permits across the state at local PDs and not through the Ag and he seemed to realize I at least had knowledge on the process.

He then asked me if I had property in town or owned a business..as if he was trying to help me get to a reason to hand out the application; Again-No. (yup-just an application request and not even the approval)

Then he told me about the "Big Five" exemptions to the policy-own property, work in the city, own a business, registered to vote and something else I can't remember...He threw out how even correction officers and other arms carrying occupations won't get issued by the WPD and need to go to the AG...I asked him again if that was a cut and dry rule and he said unfortunately it was and I need to go to the AG. [bs]

He (Lt Coloruo (sp)) was a nice enough guy and we shook hands after a quick 2 minutes of ask and answer and asked me what other permits and creds I had and then more evade and modify and qualify the answers to box me out again and eventually admitted that Yes, we will issue to a non-resident but I was not getting an application today and have no doubt, Lt C is going to make someone work for it if they want it...He knew I have good info and am well aware of the process ...I am tempted to return with a copy of § 11-47-11 and I imagine that would move it along but ,...[horse], is it even worth it when I know I have a much greener pasture in another local PD friendly to the 2A and all citizens resident or not of RI???

Not surprised at this and while some would say fight it, at least as a Non-resident I do have other real options ...

Well my stop by the WPD this afternoon to request an application went about as expected. First question was are you a Woonsocket resident??...Answer-No..Next statement was "You need to apply with the AG. We don't issue to non-residents."

[bs2]

I asked the Lt if that was really true since I knew others non-residents had gotten permits across the state at local PDs and not through the Ag and he seemed to realize I at least had knowledge on the process.

He then asked me if I had property in town or owned a business..as if he was trying to help me get to a reason to hand out the application; Again-No. (yup-just an application request and not even the approval)

Then he told me about the "Big Five" exemptions to the policy-own property, work in the city, own a business, registered to vote and something else I can't remember...He threw out how even correction officers and other arms carrying occupations won't get issued by the WPD and need to go to the AG...I asked him again if that was a cut and dry rule and he said unfortunately it was and I need to go to the AG. [bs]

He (Lt Coloruo (sp)) was a nice enough guy and we shook hands after a quick 2 minutes of ask and answer and asked me what other permits and creds I had and then more evade and modify and qualify the answers to box me out again and eventually admitted that Yes, we will issue to a non-resident but I was not getting an application today and have no doubt, Lt C is going to make someone work for it if they want it...He knew I have good info and am well aware of the process ...I am tempted to return with a copy of § 11-47-11 and I imagine that would move it along but ,...[horse], is it even worth it when I know I have a much greener pasture in another local PD friendly to the 2A and all citizens resident or not of RI???

Not surprised at this and while some would say fight it, at least as a Non-resident I do have other real options ...

You can always go the FOIA route.
https://www.woonsocketri.org/sites/woonsocketri/files/uploads/public_records_request.pdf

How to File a FOIA Request: A Guide | Public Citizen

Yah...Suppose that is another choice and like I said, a return with RI § 11-47-11 in hand would probably get the app as well,( probably the approved permit also) but why bother..There are easier ways and I really don't suffer f*** f*** games
to well that are
played to simply be an unneeded obstacle by someone like the ole' Lt who knows better anyway...Really is unneeded BS... Man I wish I was still living back down South again...

.Just printed out the RI APRA and will be submitting it...Am going to request the WPD app but will actually apply elsewhere-just don't like how it went down and want to make them give one out.

Was wondering if as a professional courtesy to the Chief and/or as just simply a reminder that saying NO to citizens will not always work, if I should send him something like the following to his public email...Or should I not poke a potential bear... Thoughts?

Dear Chief Oates,

As a professional courtesy I am writing to inform you I am submitting an APRA request to the Office of the City Clerk for an Application for a CCW Permit.
I attempted to obtain one in person on April 2,2018 and when I informed the Lt that I am a resident of Blackstone MA I was told I had to seek my permit from the Attorney General and the WPD will not give me an application.
Under RI Law 11-47-11 and confirmed by the RI Courts in Archer vs MacGarry, an application will be provided to an applicant from a RI Police Department should they believe they meet the requirements in 11-47-11.
When the Lt. at first explained to me that as non-resident I must go to the AG I asked if this was true. He said it was an then outlined what he claimed were the” Big Five” exemptions for non-residents to receive a CCW application from the WPD .
These included own a business, work in the city, registered to vote , and own property in the city among them. None of these are found in RI law when it comes to providing an application where the requirement by RI 11-47-11 and the Archer decision is to simply be a resident (or have a business) in the town or be 21 years old and live in the US and have a permit from another State of which I clearly have several including a FFL 003 and informed the LT of this when he asked .
Lastly I do want to say the Lt was very professional and respectful and did his best to explain to me that policy and why I would not be getting an application that day.
Again, this is to provide you a professional courtesy that I will be seeking the application under the APRA through the City Clerk.

Why? Just request the application. Don't put feelings, effort or anything else into it. Just send the CLEO a certified request for an application. Also they don't have to meet a criteria to be given an application, just to process it.

Your certified letter should go something like this, remember your letter is to get a permit, the FFL 03 isn't relivant, only once they receive it is it as its considered a proper reason in Mosby v. Devine.:
Dear Chief Oates,

I am writing to you, requesting an application to carry a concealable weapon pursuant to 11-47-11. As CLEO, please provide me with an application.

On April 2,2018 and when I made an initial inquiry I was informed that since I am a resident of Blackstone MA I was told I had to seek my permit from the Attorney General and the WPD will not give me an application.
Under RI Law 11-47-11 and confirmed by the RI Courts in Archer vs MacGarry, an application will be provided to an applicant from a RI Police Department.

As first explained to me that as non-resident I must go to the AG I asked if this was true. He said it was an then outlined what he claimed were the” Big Five” exemptions for non-residents to receive a CCW application from the WPD . These included own a business, work in the city, registered to vote , and own property in the city among them. None of these are found in RI law when it comes to providing an application where the requirement by RI 11-47-11 and the Archer decision is to simply be a resident (or have a business) in the town or be 21 years old and live in the US and have a permit from another State of which I clearly have several.

Kind Regards,
Mr. Tcarter01

Has any Mass resident been successful with the application process in Tiverton? Looked it over and it seems extensive like most, and that they make it more difficult or try and dissuade folks from applying.

Morning BarnBuilder..Just sent you a PM.. Thx

We are in E. Greenwich as we speak and I priced a seasonal mooring for next Summer. It’s very likely that we will keep the boat here next year.

Mrs. Flare and I would like to be included in any qualifications by Len or Rob.

Also any tips on completing the E. Greenwich application would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

The Flares know how to reach me and I do it "on demand" (any day I'm available) at Mansfield F&G. I run it as part of my business and have to pay the club as well, so it isn't free.

Is there any interest in a group qualification at Hopkinton? Free if you are a Comm2a donor; $20 check to Comm2A if you are not.

We have the Army-L targets in stock, so all you need is your weapon and 30 rounds of ammo.

If you want "walk-in" convenience, I believe that Americal Firearms School in North Attleboro can do qualifications. I also expect the MA Firearms School in Holliston can as well but am not sure if you need an appointment.

Is there any interest in a group qualification at Hopkinton? Free if you are a Comm2a donor; $20 check to Comm2A if you are not.

We have the Army-L targets in stock, so all you need is your weapon and 30 rounds of ammo.

If you want "walk-in" convenience, I believe that Americal Firearms School in North Attleboro can do qualifications. I also expect the MA Firearms School in Holliston can as well but am not sure if you need an appointment.
Hi Rob,

I'm interested as well, just let me know the date, if its a weekend no problem. I'm right on the border of RI in south Bellingham. Memebr of HSA and happy to give to Comm2a

Harry

Back
Top Bottom