• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going for a 40+ acre lot....Thoughts?

40 acres sounds big, and it is, but it's not big enough to not disturb a jerk neighbor who doesn't like shooting. Not sure about legal issues with sound or whatever down there, but it's better to get along with your neighbors than not.

There is a 32.5 acres for sale in Sturbridge on Holland road. Very nice piece of land and a few neighbors along the way. I think the lot backs up to country road that is actually in Brimfield. Probably 10 min to the Pike off of rt84, rt20 is minutes away and shopping plazas ( Walmart, stop and shop ) about 10 min. Really the biggest issue is Brimfield fair traffic 3 times a year screws up 20 but other than that nice area.

That 90 minute commute (and according to some people I know that live in the area you're being optimistic!) is to travel, what? 10 miles? At least Royalston you'll be AWAY from the city. Also, 40 acres in the south shore area... if you can find it, will it be both affordable and buildable?

The southcoast and south shore are 2 completely different areas. The southcoast is anything from Taunton south - not Weymouth and those other areas. I would agree with your friends, as that area is trash.

The southcoast and south shore are 2 completely different areas. The southcoast is anything from Taunton south - not Weymouth and those other areas. I would agree with your friends, as that area is trash.

Ok, although it seems the commute from Taunton region to Boston necessarily includes the same stretch of heavily travelled highway into town as South Shore. You might have smooth driving until Quincy and then walking pace into Boston.

Take a look at 168 Goodrich Street in Lunenburg. Its A 4 bed, 2.5 bath house with over 33 acres of land. Nice looking place and not far from route 2. Not sure what your budget is like. This is in the 900k range.
And before everyone tells you that you cant shoot in Lunenburg, you can. Go outside on a nice afternoon anywhere on my street and it sounds like a rod and gun club.
My backyard range looks a bit like Hickock45's and I don't much land. But I am 150' from the road and about a quarter mile from another house.
If you don't like that one there are a few 15 acre lots for sale in my next of the woods. Not as big as you want, but very secluded.

I find Worcester County to be quite gorgeous from Mt Wachusett to Quabbin back under Barre Falls through Rutland State Park and back to Worcester. I do love the area and sometimes of those towns are very green and very conservative. Some of those towns are also cesspools of progs. Gotta pick wisely and know your neighbors before you move.

Take a look at 168 Goodrich Street in Lunenburg. Its A 4 bed, 2.5 bath house with over 33 acres of land. Nice looking place and not far from route 2. Not sure what your budget is like. This is in the 900k range.
And before everyone tells you that you cant shoot in Lunenburg, you can. Go outside on a nice afternoon anywhere on my street and it sounds like a rod and gun club.
My backyard range looks a bit like Hickock45's and I don't much land. But I am 150' from the road and about a quarter mile from another house.
If you don't like that one there are a few 15 acre lots for sale in my next of the woods. Not as big as you want, but very secluded.
My budget is more like 500k. I just missed 40 acres with a 1/2 mile gravel road with septic, well, underground electric, and cleared 2 acre grassy field all done already for $230k. That was a loss in my eyes. The well needed some care but gee that was quite a property.

I like what you have there with shooting on property in Lunenberg. I’m off days during the week so it would be done during low volume populace. Again, it’s best to know your neighbors and be a good one as much as possible as you can be.

My NH sons each are on 13 acres. One in Mason and one in Fitzwilliam. Each one of their properties border on vast acres of woodlands and swamps. They pay taxes on what they have and can use hundreds of acres for free. Look for something like that. Jack.
My buddy from work lives in Mason. Been there a few times visiting Glory guns. It’s nice up there.

Ok, although it seems the commute from Taunton region to Boston necessarily includes the same stretch of heavily travelled highway into town as South Shore. You might have smooth driving until Quincy and then walking pace into Boston.

South coast is out of the equation due to distance from family. All my family is Central and West. The other side of the family is Boston area and points south but I’ll find “greener” friends west of the 495 corridor.

There is a 32.5 acres for sale in Sturbridge on Holland road. Very nice piece of land and a few neighbors along the way. I think the lot backs up to country road that is actually in Brimfield. Probably 10 min to the Pike off of rt84, rt20 is minutes away and shopping plazas ( Walmart, stop and shop ) about 10 min. Really the biggest issue is Brimfield fair traffic 3 times a year screws up 20 but other than that nice area.
I studied that parcel the other day. A little pricey at 320k and no clearing done. I was looking at the 52 acre plots on Fisk Hill and Old Farm Rds but those look a bit confusing to deal with.

I hadn't seen those up on Fisk Hill. Yes the one off Holland Rd is Def not cleared and I don't know if it's been perk tested. Nice area tho, and does the land butt up against the golf course?
But yes 320k is good chunk of money but honestly your not going to find much in this area below 300 for 30~40 acres.

Wife and I are considering Tenn or Kentucky, I found several places in Hazzard county that are 50+ acres and a small ranch house for 70kish, lol.

NE is just crazy with land prices now, good luck with your venture but I think the days of picking up 20 plus acres of land for dirt money or long past in NE, even out here where dragons be

Anyone have ideas of land survey cost?

MEP survey on wetlands cost?

Currently I’m getting a quote for perc test with septic design.

Sturbridge wouldn’t be totally out of the question and it’s close to the Pike. I’m working 2-3 days a week total. I do 14, 16, and 10 hr day weeks from 7am to as late as 11:30pm. I’m outta Worcester by 5:15a and get to the LMA by 6:30-6:45. Only problem will be when they start that Allston project. Boy that’s gonna be a major headache.

Thats right off of rt49 and the right next to the Mass pike interchange with 84, big piece of property but I bet its noisy.
Lot of nice habitat in there though. Fitting name for the road though “Podunk” lol

He could install his own off ramp and toll booth :)

He would make bank,
Lot of nice habitat in there though. Fitting name for the road though “Podunk” lol

I drive by that area almost daily, deer, bear and plenty of turkeys. Across rt49 from that land is Walker pond, next to the property going away from the Pike is high tension lines and lots of woods beyond that. Biggest thing is no houses on that side of the road at all, so no one beside you at all, a few across from you on the Podunk side but I bet no one would ever know there is a house tucked back there.
Rt49 is a very bad road traffic wise, lots of head crashes and its 55mph but most do 65, lots of trucks to as there is a major car terminal that unloads cars from the trains all the time. That's 5 miles or so away on the other side of 49, but they travel back towards the Pike non stop.

I don't think 40 is enough. One of my gc's is just over 90 acres and I've heard stories of rounds getting out. Go to Maine and get 1,000 acres.

I don't think 40 is enough. One of my gc's is just over 90 acres and I've heard stories of rounds getting out. Go to Maine and get 1,000 acres.

I'm not nearly the best shooter I know but if I'm shooting at a car in front of a berm I HIT the car in front of the berm. If you wan't to talk about the 10 ring at 200 yards, that might be another story, but I'm still going to hit something pretty darn close to it (as opposed the hitting the upper branches of a tree at right angles to the target...) Look at the video of that Porsche getting shot up. The ground in front of it looked like a freshly tilled garden. THAT's why your 90 ac gc has rounds escaping, not because there's insufficient land.

A private range with known shooters possessed of at least average skills will be just fine with 40 acres.

All THAT aside, 1000ac in Maine does beat 100ac in NH or 40ac in MA.

I'm not nearly the best shooter I know but if I'm shooting at a car in front of a berm I HIT the car in front of the berm. If you wan't to talk about the 10 ring at 200 yards, that might be another story, but I'm still going to hit something pretty darn close to it (as opposed the hitting the upper branches of a tree at right angles to the target...) Look at the video of that Porsche getting shot up. The ground in front of it looked like a freshly tilled garden. THAT's why your 90 ac gc has rounds escaping, not because there's insufficient land.

A private range with known shooters possessed of at least average skills will be just fine with 40 acres.

All THAT aside, 1000ac in Maine does beat 100ac in NH or 40ac in MA.

I hear you. But isn't there another member on here who has land he shoots on out in Western MA and the neighbors are trying to make the town shut him down. And gun clubs are currently under attack...So if they can force a gun club to change its hours or not shoot at all a single resident will likely have no chance to stand up against opposition and oppression.

I hear you. But isn't there another member on here who has land he shoots on out in Western MA and the neighbors are trying to make the town shut him down. And gun clubs are currently under attack...So if they can force a gun club to change its hours or not shoot at all a single resident will likely have no chance to stand up against opposition and oppression.

In Mass, even the 1000 acres isn't enough to stop that harassment.

We need one more law, that criminalizes litigation where the purpose is harassment.

The ground in front of it looked like a freshly tilled garden. THAT's why your 90 ac gc has rounds escaping, not because there's insufficient land.

I am betting more like "nippleheads ND into the air" vs a ground skip.

-Mike

I am betting more like "nippleheads ND into the air" vs a ground skip.

-Mike

At the car shoots I've been to, there's definitely a lot of low aiming, once in a while some joker tries to pick off a rock halfway up the berm and goes a little too high, but I've never witnessed someone aiming into the sky, yet the treetops always get a buzz cut. I don't have an explanation.

At the car shoots I've been to, there's definitely a lot of low aiming, once in a while some joker tries to pick off a rock halfway up the berm and goes a little too high, but I've never witnessed someone aiming into the sky, yet the treetops always get a buzz cut. I don't have an explanation.
I’ve skipped rifle rounds at the ground on elevation when missing a steel plate from far off and inadvertently trimmed branches clear off. I wouldn’t want to be hang gliding at that moment.

Deep forest around berms on a private range will help greatly to alleviate wayward rounds.

Back
Top Bottom