Going Blue

mac1911

NES Member
Sorry not a Dillon but my recently revived Pro1000 needed a paint job.
I did the usual and used what I had on hand.
Now internet rumor is Dillon used “old ford blue” most ford blued are darker than Dillon presses.
Dillon press is more light/pastel/soft powdery look than what you will find on the shelf as ford blue.
Some day I will find Dillon , someday.
Cleaned it sanded the loose paint and shiny spots and gave it a primer coat.
Colors on hand where black, Blue , purple and pink. I almost went pink
300D0C0C-D021-4FD8-9EF8-49109431D28D.jpeg

Last edited:
Will go blue some day but it will have to come gifted to me or in a BoxOparts for pennies on the dollar
Next time I find one like that I’ll let you know. I’ve lucked into a few over the years.
I still have a beautiful 450 that’s waiting to go to Dillon for the spa treatment soon. I’m going to keep it dedicated for a rifle cartridge of some sort. Probably either 45/70 or 300 Blackout.
I don’t shoot as much 308 as I should but that would make a nice solid press to load it on. Without the removable tool head it’s solid as a rock!

I remembered why I ended up with this paint. Was helping a friend get his dads 550 running. Paint did not match so his dad had it painted black at local autonody shop.
I did not remeber getting the can whem done.

Still looks better with fresh paint
582ABF42-544A-4BEF-B335-C06B5AC86DB5.jpeg
21F3388D-7402-4E78-9B4C-25C10E037EE5.jpeg

Last edited:
Mike Dillon will be rolling over in his grave.[wink][wink]

I started on a Pro 1000 and made lots of good ammo. Once you figure out it quirks, if your mechanical you should be good.

My biggest issue was priming the manual said no more than 100 primers. If you only loaded 100 primers in the tray the last dozen or so didn't have enough weight behind them to push the last ones in.

I would load a hundred and twenty, load a hundred rounds and refill the primer tray. Problem solved, good luck.

Mike Dillon will be rolling over in his grave.[wink][wink]

I started on a Pro 1000 and made lots of good ammo. Once you figure out it quirks, if your mechanical you should be good.

My biggest issue was priming the manual said no more than 100 primers. If you only loaded 100 primers in the tray the last dozen or so didn't have enough weight behind them to push the last ones in.

I would load a hundred and twenty, load a hundred rounds and refill the primer tray. Problem solved, good luck.
These are older lees with new primer trays and primer feed shoots. Cleaned and dressed up the shoots and that helps alot. Still primer picky CCI work fine, wolf sos, winchesters just do not work well in this press

Post up a pic when rebuilt of the tray and tube, mine were from the eighties. If I remember correctly if you put 100 primers in the tray ten would fill the feed shoot. without the other weight behind these 10 you would get missed primers and powder spillage.

Thats why I always put 120 in the tray, load 100 add another 100. Twenty extras all the time 10 in the tube ten in the tray adding head weight.

Post up a pic when rebuilt of the tray and tube, mine were from the eighties. If I remember correctly if you put 100 primers in the tray ten would fill the feed shoot. without the other weight behind these 10 you would get missed primers and powder spillage.

Thats why I always put 120 in the tray, load 100 add another 100. Twenty extras all the time 10 in the tube ten in the tray adding head weight.
Heres the new tray and chute.

Amazon product ASIN B000LC2424View: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90660-Progressive-Attachment/dp/B000LC2424

Its still slightly primer picky
CCI, Rem and wolf work good. Win and Federal still dont slide well through the system. I fill the primer tray with as many it will hold then load 50-75 rounds and refill. I have extra trays so Its easy to pop onca new tray.

The tray is small and will hold just over 100? Why lee is so set on a 100 primer tray ? The feed tubes are definately a lot smoother and they must have updated plastic and molds. Only a tiny bit of flashing found on my new ones
Im still not sure how to use my camera to its best. Its a older 5s my other cameras are even older!

View: https://youtu.be/-bbdXqXTPH4

Heres the new tray and chute.

Amazon product ASIN B000LC2424View: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90660-Progressive-Attachment/dp/B000LC2424

The tray is small and will hold just over 100? Why lee is so set on a 100 primer tray ? The feed tubes are definately a lot smoother and they must have updated plastic and molds.

View: https://youtu.be/-bbdXqXTPH4

Mac, they only like 100 in case they detonate, same with Dillon, I never had a tray or tube go off. I have seen many pictures of it and it's not pretty.

I always wear safety glasses and try to remember ear plugs for that reason. Also if it doesn't feel right stop and don't force anything.

I saw a recent post on another board of guys trying to double the capacity of primers on a Dillon. I figure they invented the wheel and it rolls why mess with it.

Your press did come out good nothing like breathing new life into something old.

Mac, they only like 100 in case they detonate, same with Dillon, I never had a tray or tube go off. I have seen many pictures of it and it's not pretty.

I always wear safety glasses and try to remember ear plugs for that reason. Also if it doesn't feel right stop and don't force anything.

I saw a recent post on another board of guys trying to double the capacity of primers on a Dillon. I figure they invented the wheel and it rolls why mess with it.

Your press did come out good nothing like breathing new life into something old.
Dont look to reload hundred of rounds at any one sitting. I often just plug away 50 at a time and just refill my primers each time I get back to loading.

Back
Top Bottom