Going 1911

I will soon be picking up a 9mm 1911. had wanted a nice stainless with a rail, but could not find any in my price range i wanted to spend so i started looking at rock islands offerings in black. and the best one i could find was the 22tcm/9mm combo 1911 . two calibers for the price of one good 1911. don't know much about them but i figured it would be worth a shot. going for a commander model as i like glock 19 sized guns the most as they can flex into carry and target. i know STI makes the guns as well , but i really wanted a railed version. though it appears that my version of this gun will come with black rubber grips instead of G10 grips which kinda sucks but maybe i can call armscor and ask for them to send me a set.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/718003509
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...cal-2011-pistol-22tcm-4.25in-10rd-parkerized/
http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-series/tcm-tac-ultra-ms-combo-22tcm-9mm/

51963_1911-A1_22-TCM-TAC-2011_MS_leftangled_G10.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone make a 9mm 1911 match-ish grade that can be had in MA new without doing expensive backflips?

I highly recommend a Dan Wesson Pointman 9. Mine has been flawless over the last year and a half that I've had it. Didn't require an expensive backflip. Paid about $50 more than what it would cost if it was MA compliant.

damn that thing is like 1500$

yeh i am looking for a 1911 closer to the 600$ glock range. i had looked at the Springfield range officer , but the stainless with the rail was too expensive for my taste.

You get what you pay for...

There is a lot more involved in making a quality 1911 than a Glock or any other polymer pistol for that matter.

Are you dead set on a 9mm? 45 is the proper caliber for a 1911, and 5" is the proper barrel length. You are depriving yourself of some of the greatness that is the 1911 by going with a midsize 9

damn that thing is like 1500$

yeh i am looking for a 1911 closer to the 600$ glock range. i had looked at the Springfield range officer , but the stainless with the rail was too expensive for my taste.

Ahh ok gotcha. Yeah that's way over $600. In that price range, a Springfield or RIA would fit the bill.

You get what you pay for...

There is a lot more involved in making a quality 1911 than a Glock or any other polymer pistol for that matter.

Are you dead set on a 9mm? 45 is the proper caliber for a 1911, and 5" is the proper barrel length. You are depriving yourself of some of the greatness that is the 1911 by going with a midsize 9
Do you own a 9MM 1911? This is just an awesome Caliber to shoot in the 1911 frame. Battlefield Vegas is the Biggest Indoor range in America maybe even the world and they have said out of almost every Brand 1911 they have, they like the Rock Islands because they out run the rest of the competition in reliability/Replacing parts. I think Queen Bee knows very well what she's doing.

45 is the proper caliber for a 1911, and 5" is the proper barrel length. You are depriving yourself of some of the greatness that is the 1911 by going with a midsize 9

Lets not turn this into a 9 vs 45 1911 debate [laugh]
I've shot both and like/appreciate both but the ammo cost and lesser recoil with 9mm is a win win IMO. To each their own of course.

Pretty nice :)

Yes i know 1911's in .45 are the original, and i plan on getting one of those old norinco 1911's with the 5100 steel vs most companies that use the 4100 steel.

But honestly for me right now, 9mm is cheaper, lighter recoiling for a person that doesnt shoot much anymore due to schooling costs.

I just wanted a good easy shooting 1911 with a rail, that is reliable.

I've been in the 1911 should be in 45acp camp for a while now. That is until I picked up a S&W Pro Series Gov't 1911. The Pro Series is done right with accuracy, functionality and performance. I cannot say enough with the way it shoots with reduced recoil which makes follow up shots easier. I'd recommend it for anyone looking to get a 9mm 1911.

Here's the thing. It's not going to be cheap, but as others have said, you're going to get what you pay for. Look at the reviews of the ones you are looking at. There will be a mix of reviews and while you very well might get a good shooter there's a chance you will get a lemon. Overall I think it was worth saving up and getting one with a solid reputation.

IMG_0373_zpsptpkoz0a.jpg

This was the accuracy at 10 yards body shots and 15 yards head shots.

IMG_0381_zps6ltigv6k.jpg

Pretty nice :)

Yes i know 1911's in .45 are the original, and i plan on getting one of those old norinco 1911's with the 5100 steel vs most companies that use the 4100 steel.

But honestly for me right now, 9mm is cheaper, lighter recoiling for a person that doesnt shoot much anymore due to schooling costs.

I just wanted a good easy shooting 1911 with a rail, that is reliable.

It's important to look at the exact steel grade, not jusst the series. The common steel used in blued guns in 4130 carbon steel. 4140 is a bit nicer (see a comparison at http://www.capitalsteel.net/news/blog/4130-vs-4140-steel-comparison), but wears out the tooling a bit quicker and is slightly harder to machine.

Do you own a 9MM 1911? This is just an awesome Caliber to shoot in the 1911 frame. Battlefield Vegas is the Biggest Indoor range in America maybe even the world and they have said out of almost every Brand 1911 they have, they like the Rock Islands because they out run the rest of the competition in reliability/Replacing parts. I think Queen Bee knows very well what she's doing.

If you shoot enough 1911s, hard enough, you eventually won't want anything in that price class. I'll just leave it at that. That said, RIA seems to exceed their class more than a lot of others do. I would probably buy one before a Krapber, but that really isn't saying much... [laugh]

-Mike

My S&W 1911 pro in 9 is my favorite center fire gun. Unfortunately you will not get one in your price range. I also shoot 1911's in 45. The 9 is more fun to shoot

i wonder why many 1911 manufacturers don't make more railed versions of the 1911 ?

Because the demographic usually buying them look at you like you just handed them a steaming turd if you even talk about a 1911 with a rail on them. I have no problems with it and the only "nice" 1911 I have has a rail on it.

-Mike

The RIA pistols look like a nice choice. Question is can you get one shipped to our uncommonwealth, and will a LGS transfer it

The RIA pistols look like a nice choice. Question is can you get one shipped to our uncommonwealth, and will a LGS transfer it
Seriously......Is this like the 5th time in a couple day's this question is asked? Read people READ

I have this one----->sa-range-officer.jpg

But have my Eyes on the New Railed one----->5348064_01_springfield_armory_range_offic_640.jpg
Shot mine against a S&W Pro 9mm and saw, felt no difference at all

Last edited:
i would have gotten the loaded SA but they are too expensive for the features listed compared to the RIA

Like someone said before 1911s are not Glocks the prices reflect higher quality parts. It's your money so obviously you can do what you want and I'm sure the RIA will work but it's like buying a hi point just to buy a gun.

Last edited:
I only have a Colt NM Gold Cup 70s Series and a Para P14 made when para made good guns. Carried the Para for about a year with 14+1 rounds of .45 goodness before I decided that it was too darn heavy for EDC.

i actually removed the G10 grips from my RIA. they were too sharp for my liking.

with respect to 22TCM, i haven't shot it. it looks like another solution searching for problem. novelty of the fireball i can understand but it's not a chambering i see myself enjoying.

in terms of RIA, i think you will be quite pleased with the pistol. for the price of their 1911's i'm a big fan.

Back
Top Bottom