Gobble, Gobble - MA Spring Turkey - April 26th...

I'm heading out tomorrow morning. Bought a new pop up blind on a sale over the winter. A very nice one. I'll be comfortable in it with my thermos of coffee and my folding chair an hour before sunup. I've taken a few turkeys over the years from a pop up blind. Sometimes I think I'd do better if I was a little more mobile....but.....honestly.....being comfortable in my blind with a thermos of coffee while it's still dark and the woods are waking up is just as enjoyable as taking a turkey. So that's how I hunt. I'll be in nh so Sunday is legal.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning. Bought a new pop up blind on a sale over the winter. A very nice one. I'll be comfortable in it with my thermos of coffee and my folding chair an hour before sunup. I've taken a few turkeys over the years from a pop up blind. Sometimes I think I'd do better if I was a little more mobile....but.....honestly.....being comfortable in my blind with a thermos of coffee while it's still dark and the woods are waking up is just as enjoyable as taking a turkey. So that's how I hunt. I'll be in nh so Sunday is legal.
Tomorrow is Sunday. Mass thread. Where you hunting?

Tomorrow is Sunday. Mass thread. Where you hunting?
Nh. Last sentence.....says I'll be in nh. There is no nh or Maine gobbler thread figured you guys wouldn't mind. I'm a mass resident but have been hunting nh for the last year. It's worth the extra money. You know.....cuz tomorrow is sunday....and I'm going hunting.

Nh. Last sentence.....says I'll be in nh. There is no nh or Maine gobbler thread figured you guys wouldn't mind. I'm a mass resident but have been hunting nh for the last year. It's worth the extra money. You know.....cuz tomorrow is sunday....and I'm going hunting.
Lol sorry skimmed. Should have read it all. I couldn't read it all. Too much bouncing on this short bus. Good luck. Please post pics if you get lucky. Love seeing the birds.

Got set up an hour before sunrise. Gobblers started exactly 30 minutes before sunrise In every direction. A small group of Toms gobbling VERY close to me 180 degrees to my rear. I was very confident I'd get em to commit. Played the back and forth with them for about 45 minutes......sounded like they were getting closer.......then farther and farther away. I've never had a group of Toms that close and answering my calls so regularly not commit and come in. A little frustrating.....but no big deal. Now I'm wondering what pulled em away. 🤔

Got set up an hour before sunrise. Gobblers started exactly 30 minutes before sunrise In every direction. A small group of Toms gobbling VERY close to me 180 degrees to my rear. I was very confident I'd get em to commit. Played the back and forth with them for about 45 minutes......sounded like they were getting closer.......then farther and farther away. I've never had a group of Toms that close and answering my calls so regularly not commit and come in. A little frustrating.....but no big deal. Now I'm wondering what pulled em away. 🤔

Sometimes the play there is to stop calling and the Tom may come in to see what happened.

Bob

Probably already on some hens.
at least that’s my excuse when I can’t get them to commit.

Sounds good! I've been ALL over my favorite places this year...putting in lots of miles...and have yet to HEAR a gobble! :(
I'm beginning to think that they do NOT exist in the wild...in people's front yards and under the feeders YES! @#$%#$%^@!#$% :mad:

Here's the story for those that like them.

Finally had another chance to go today. Park start walking in and one goes off.
Ah too far away.
Walk in some more and another goes off.

Oh I think I can do something with you.
Set up give a call and boom instant response.
Of course hens start in.lots of them
I cut them and multiple gobbles from multiple birds.

Gee think I'm in the right spot.
I guess I got the old girl too worked up as she wound up in my lap.

Crap now what.
Fans going through too far to shoot her next to me.....aargh.

A jake steps out at 30 feet.
The heck with it you guys are going to bust me anyway.

I shoot him for spite....no not really but.

I was in no hurry so filled tag out did some texting etc.
Waste about a half hour and the big guy starts going off again.

Why not
Soft call ...bam he responds.
Just wait from there.
He looped around and came out right aside of me......right aside.
Steps behind a tree.
Gun up.....game over.
Pretty weird beard on him.
Top and bottom long middle well odd
20210503_065606.jpg

Was planning to head out in the am but looks like it’s going to be a washout....Never hunted them in the rain. Will they hang in and around roost if it’s raining at first lite or up and moving?

I’ve got 5-6 big Tom’s, about a dozen nice jakes and a couple dozen hens walking around the neighborhood. The toms are roosting in green about 30 yards behind the house.

They love living in the suburban woodlots between here and the river. My 10 gauge turkey slayer/anti-aircraft cannon would be a little too noisy and disruptive for my neighbors.

Was planning to head out in the am but looks like it’s going to be a washout....Never hunted them in the rain. Will they hang in and around roost if it’s raining at first lite or up and moving?
Find a field like others said I dunno why but when it rains they love fields. Granted they are always on the other end from where I setup 😂

Its a MA thing. You dont want to understand.
Come on, every time I see that little blur of green in my peripheral vision, all I can think is "safety first." In fact, it's so effective, it happens when I'm not behind the shotgun, so I'm thinking about repainting the hood of my truck Kelly green for just that reason.

Am I really the only one?

Come on, every time I see that little blur of green in my peripheral vision, all I can think is "safety first." In fact, it's so effective, it happens when I'm not behind the shotgun, so I'm thinking about repainting the hood of my truck Kelly green for just that reason.

Am I really the only one?
Oh now way. Me too. Whenever I see a sticker in general I see what is behind it. Just to be safe

Bedford NH condo association pets 😎B878ABA7-F3DC-495D-B2A0-33DFDCE59FEB.jpeg

About 10’ away through driver side window in my driveway. The other jakes were 20’ further, around my neighbor’s patio.

Shot a decent Jake this morning right at first light.
I flushed the roosted Tom I was after about 10 yards from my truck. f***er was not where I expected him to be.
Setup at the blind anyways and a Jake just about landed in my lap when he came down from roost.
Too easy a shot not to take... first bird of the year.

Went out again with my 10 year old son today.
We ended up calling in a nice gobbler that came in on a string.. gobbling the whole way.
Then at about 50 yards.... just when we were both super excited and I thought he was ours. He turned away and beat feet out of there, LOL
Closest a bird has gotten when I had my son with me. It made our day.

Back
Top Bottom