GOAL Warning to Those Seeking License Renewals

GOAL

NES Member
GOAL Warning to Those Seeking License Renewals

No emergency firearm license extensions have been put in place by the Baker Administration!

Many GOAL members have contacted us and made us aware that some local licensing authorities are telling them the state has placed an emergency extension on all firearm licenses. This is simply NOT the case. This false information may put licensed gun owners at risk.

When the COVID-19 emergency first started, GOAL tried to work with the state to obtain such an emergency order. We even worked with supportive police chiefs. We were eventually denied by the Baker Administration.

There are some protections in place that were passed in 2014 with GOAL’s efforts. These protections can ONLY be obtained if the current laws are followed.

Further warning: If the license holder was not able to apply prior to expiration and they have not become a prohibited person, criminal penalties do not apply for the first 90 days after expiration. However, fines of up to $5,000 can be enforced.

For a License to Carry (LTC)

If you submit your application PRIOR to the expiration date on your LTC and receive a receipt your LTC is valid for al lawful purposes until the application is acted upon.

Chapter 140, Section 131(e) The licensing authority shall provide to the applicant a receipt indicating that it received the application. The receipt shall be provided to the applicant within 7 days by mail if the application was received by mail or immediately if the application was made in person;

Chapter 140, Section 131(i) “if the licensee applied for renewal prior to the end of that period, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied.”

Chapter 140, Section 131(i) “For the purposes of section 10 of chapter 269, an expired license to carry firearms shall be deemed to be valid for a period not to exceed 90 days beyond the stated date of expiration, unless such license to carry firearms has been revoked.”

For a Firearms Identification Card (FID)

If you submit your application PRIOR to the expiration date on your FID and receive a receipt your FID is valid for al lawful purposes until the application is acted upon.

Chapter 140, Section 129B(2) “The licensing authority shall provide to the applicant a receipt indicating that it received the applicant's application. The receipt shall be provided to the applicant within 7 days by mail if the application was received by mail or immediately if the application was made in person;”

Chapter 140, Section 129B(9) “if the cardholder applied for renewal prior to the end of such period, the card shall remain valid after the expiration date on the card for all lawful purposes, until the application for renewal is approved or denied.”

Chapter 140, Section 129B(12) “Notwithstanding the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269, any person in possession of a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun whose firearm identification card issued under this section is invalid for the sole reason that it has expired, not including licenses that remain valid under paragraph (9) because the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, but who shall not be disqualified from renewal upon application therefor under this section, shall be subject to a civil fine of not less than $100 nor more than $5,000 and the provisions of said section 10 of said chapter 269 shall not apply;”

just my 2 cents, but if you do try to send anything to the locals for renewals, send it registered with a signed receipt and keep a copy of what you sent for your records.
Not a bad idea, but remember that "registered" means that they rec'd SOMETHING from you but not WHAT they rec'd. Jack.

So, is Baker being lazy or does he have an endgame...?

FYI - You want certified with a return receipt, not registered.

Certified-Return-Receipt-Example.jpg

If you submit your application PRIOR to the expiration date on your LTC and receive a receipt

Assuming by receipt, it means they PD receipt.

PD in our town won't give a receipt until the renewal "interview" and a fresh set of prints are completed. Doesn't matter if they've received a renewal application, it seems.

How does one receive a receipt if they don't/refuse to schedule an interview?

PD in our town won't give a receipt until the renewal "interview" and a fresh set of prints are completed. Doesn't matter if they've received a renewal application, it seems.

My town will send back an official MIRCS receipt that you've applied even without prints, picture or interview so that you will be ok until you are allowed in for formal interview. They even did this before the Covid-19 crisis. Works just fine.

My town will send back an official MIRCS receipt that you've applied even without prints, picture or interview so that you will be ok until you are allowed in for formal interview. They even did this before the Covid-19 crisis. Works just fine.
Because good town. Not everyone is that fortunate. Jack.

FYI - You want certified with a return receipt, not registered.

Certified-Return-Receipt-Example.jpg
Actually registered is required to be logged in at every place it goes where certified does not. Since it's most likely being mailed in state this probably doesn't matter as much, but I learned a long time ago when I sent in important paperwork via certified and it ended up lost. When I checked with the post office they knew that I sent it but they had no record and no idea where it was and they told me that if I had sent it registered they would of had a record of the last place that it had arrived at. So if it's really important even though it's more expensive I'd send it registered.

Actually registered is required to be logged in at every place it goes where certified does not. Since it's most likely being mailed in state this probably doesn't matter as much, but I learned a long time ago when I sent in important paperwork via certified and it ended up lost. When I checked with the post office they knew that I sent it but they had no record and no idea where it was and they told me that if I had sent it registered they would of had a record of the last place that it had arrived at. So if it's really important even though it's more expensive I'd send it registered.
Is there a way to get "tracking" on Certified mail?

just my 2 cents, but if you do try to send anything to the locals for renewals, send it registered with a signed receipt and keep a copy of what you sent for your records.
Certified meets the receipt requirement.

Registered is used for high value items. Registered mail is signed for each time it is transferred from one person to the next and sleeps in a safe at night. This has no additional benefit over certified return receipt as the remedy is just send it again if you don't get the recepit.

Is there a way to get "tracking" on Certified mail?
Yeah, look at the tracking # on the receipt you get when you tender it to US Snail.

Middleton update. As soon as I saw they would accept renewals by mail I jumped on it. My current LTC expires 10/27/2020. restrictions none issued by a different town.

Dateline
March 20, 2020 mailed application with supporting documents via USPS
certified return receipt requested.
March 23, 2020 PD signed that they received application.
April 1, 2020 check to Town of Middleton clears my bank.
April 13, 2020 New LTC arrived in mail, photo from DMV, date of issue
10/27/2020, expiration date 10/27/2026. Restrictions none.

Per the statute GOAL noted in the OP, they are required to give you a receipt immediately if you submit your application in person, or within seven days if you mail it in. If they're refusing to do that, they are in violation of the law. I know, in this state good luck getting them to be held accountable for breaking the law.

Per the statute GOAL noted in the OP, they are required to give you a receipt immediately if you submit your application in person, or within seven days if you mail it in. If they're refusing to do that, they are in violation of the law. I know, in this state good luck getting them to be held accountable for breaking the law.

Yeah. My town doesn't issue receipts till your appointment.

SYstem was as follows:
Show up, turn in your stuff, make an appointment.
Show up to appointment, get printed, pictured, processed and a receipt.
After that your check is cashed and your 40d timer starts.

Yup. Certified is great for something like filing taxes, as it gives you evidence of timely filing regardless of what the PO does or doesn't do, and the IRS is happy with that. Anything to do with my Irish passport, for instance, the Consulate did via Registered - they wanted to see chain of custody of the item.

I wonder if at some point in time does old spineless feel humiliated by the way Healy and Deleo tell him what to do. What a weak and spineless person he is.

Back
Top Bottom