• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL Warning to Those Seeking License Renewals

Per the statute GOAL noted in the OP, they are required to give you a receipt immediately if you submit your application in person, or within seven days if you mail it in. If they're refusing to do that, they are in violation of the law. I know, in this state good luck getting them to be held accountable for breaking the law.

Not in my town.

They refuse to provide a receipt when handing them an application (I asked for one). You get a receipt after a scheduled interview/prints have been completed.

Not in my town.

They refuse to provide a receipt when handing them an application (I asked for one). You get a receipt after a scheduled interview/prints have been completed.
The receipt that counts is the one that is printed out my MIRCS after the PD enters the data, though another form might (emphasis might) provide a defense against a license expired more than 90 days civil charge. Unlike the official receipt, no other form will indicate your transactions will go through with MIRCS and no dealer will accept them for non-MIRCS but LTC requires sales (ie, ammo).

Imagine that: they're lying to you (which they can do and it's legally protected), to get you in dutch over a (should be Constitutional right but it's a) permitting matter, in order to further the agenda of the political party in power.

Who'da thunk? [thinking]

In most sane jurisdictions (not Federal, of course) that would be considered equitable estoppel.

The receipt that counts is the one that is printed out my MIRCS after the PD enters the data, though another form might (emphasis might) provide a defense against a license expired more than 90 days civil charge. Unlike the official receipt, no other form will indicate your transactions will go through with MIRCS and no dealer will accept them for non-MIRCS but LTC requires sales (ie, ammo).

So, you may get a receipt that is official and the other is toilet paper?

If I had a LTC that expired this year, I would send certified with return receipt requested in a nice USPS Priority Mail envelope.

Once the return receipt is received, I'd keep a photo on my phone, computer, and have it backed up.

I'd have done my due diligence and if I get busted for CCW on an expired LTC - at least I'd have a chance of a defense.
It might cost a couple grand initially, but it beats losing my LTC forever and being a felon.

07Mustang's town has the best approach.

Renewals should be done by mail. I bet that will be stopped soon though since the state wants to make renewals as difficult as possible.

At one point @Len-2A Training said that a renewal can only happen x months before expiration. I can't remember how many months that is. Under this nation of emergency, such a restriction should be disregarded since there are some departments that can take over 12 months to get an appointment in even the best of conditions.

At one point @Len-2A Training said that a renewal can only happen x months before expiration. I can't remember how many months that is. Under this nation of emergency, such a restriction should be disregarded since there are some departments that can take over 12 months to get an appointment in even the best of conditions.
A few years ago what I said was that FRB would accept a renewal application 6 months before expiration. No idea wrt CV-19 but my guess is that they probably would accept any 2020 expiration at this point.

FWIW: Current Turn Around Time for MA Non-Res LTC

I applied for my non-interview MA Non-Res LTC renewal on 2/05/20.
(I always send it with USPS tracking).

I received an Email confirmation, from the FRB, of the renewal info. receipt on 3/10/20.

I received the new LTC on 5/2/20.

So approximately 3 months turn-around (that is actually the same turn-around time as last year). So it did not take any longer than normal.

FWIW: Current Turn Around Time for MA Non-Res LTC

I applied for my non-interview MA Non-Res LTC renewal on 2/05/20.
(I always send it with USPS tracking).

I received an Email confirmation, from the FRB, of the renewal info. receipt on 3/10/20.

I received the new LTC on 5/2/20.

So approximately 3 months turn-around (that is actually the same turn-around time as last year). So it did not take any longer than normal.
I applied early April, no confirmation email this year but my money order was deposited about two weeks after applying.
No license yet, I expire end of the month. Planning to call today.

Back
Top Bottom