GOAL Responds to Calls for Membership Cancellations

yup. Some of the gun clubs around here require NRA memberships to join. I'd like to see that switched to GOAL memberships instead, if some membership is required.

we would also. IIRC, the NRA affiliated clubs receives financial benefit from the NRA, in the form of grants, for range improvements etc.
http://range.nra.org/

yup. Some of the gun clubs around here require NRA memberships to join. I'd like to see that switched to GOAL memberships instead, if some membership is required.

Then you are going to have to see GOAL start insuring gun clubs.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

My understanding is they need the NRA membership for insurance purposes. That said, they could require GOAL membership also.

Alternatively, gun shops could help by signing people up right at the counter. Gun shops, whether they realize it or not, *do* have a vested interest in it.

As I've posted before, if anyone has any ideas to increase membership in Goal, we're all ears. 300,000+ licensed gun owners in Mass. and 5% are Goal members. The sticking point is finding out who has a LTC/FID, you can't.
If I wanted a list of licensed plumbers, doctors or electricians; I could get one from the appropriate licensing board.

There are a lot of LTC/FID holders out there who:
-do not belong to a club
-if they do belong, they don't go to club meeting / read the newsletter
-own one firearm, that they bought in 1985
-are FID hunters and think LTC problems don't apply to them
-think the NRA funds Goal

on and on....

My understanding is they need the NRA membership for insurance purposes. That said, they could require GOAL membership also.

Alternatively, gun shops could help by signing people up right at the counter. Gun shops, whether they realize it or not, *do* have a vested interest in it.

Great idea. Plenty of gun stores offer the discounted first year of membership in the NRA, no reason something similar couldn't be done for GOAL.

As I've posted before, if anyone has any ideas to increase membership in Goal, we're all ears. 300,000+ licensed gun owners in Mass. and 5% are Goal members. The sticking point is finding out who has a LTC/FID, you can't.
If I wanted a list of licensed plumbers, doctors or electricians; I could get one from the appropriate licensing board.

-do not belong to a club

on and on....

You'll probably never get all of them and I'm glad you can't get a list of them from the state. That said, the most obvious nexus would be gun shops. Presumably all the new LTC/FID holders over the last few years went and bought a gun and most of the existing ones have bought ammo at some point.

Also, is there any cost to making all memberships lifetime, assuming all communications become electronic?

I realize GOAL needs funds but GOAL also needs membership numbers.

The NRA's club insurance isn't even that good of a deal if you shop around. I think a lot of clubs are 100% NRA more because "that's how it's always been" than for any actual benefit.

If you take a liberal shooting and that liberal wants to get an LTC, and that liberal starts to truly understand the gun laws in MA, that liberal stands a good chance of not being a liberal anymore.

And given the political landscape in MA, if we limit 2A support to Republicans, we're forever screwed.

Exactly.

I think one of the things that really makes people open up their minds and start to think things out a little - is becoming a gun owner - and whatever the process was that led them there.

One of the problems we have is - even if you get a "liberal" to open up their mind and see the logic of self defense being a right , politically speaking there's nowhere for them to go.

The Republican party is out - especially because they're filled up with war-mongering neocons, religious types, and anti-abortion activists and so forth. I know a couple of guys who are pretty active in Republican politics in this state - and they tell me they regularly have to go head to head with the religious types and tell them to "STFU - you're not helping".

If you want to win the gun ownership battle vis-a-vis liberals in this state - you're going to have to convert people one at a time and then have them change the party from the inside.

I happen to agree with Cabinetman though - there is a line after which you're just pissing in the wind if you think Democrats are going to REALLY help if they just keep voting the party line.

There doesn't seem to be anything comparable to the Tea Party within the ranks of the Democrats - which alone should tell you something.

Greg, a big benefit is that it begins moving the 2A away from being a political wedge. Once we get both parties to leave our rights alone and work towards restoration we'll be much better off.

[rofl]

You see this is where the stuff that Cabinetman talked about comes into play.

There are people at high levels in this country who don't want you to own guns. The Democrat party is the pre-dominant party in the country - the evidence for this is how much of their agenda has been implemented over the last century or so. The people at high levels WANT this agenda - or it wouldn't be happening.

The fact that gun control keeps coming back again and again and again - proves it's not a fluke. The nitwits who promote it - are just the messengers. Somebody above them "approves this message".

In order to get that restoration you're talking about - it's going to take a critical subset of people who consider themselves to be "Democrats" to get as pissed off at their party as the Tea Party'ers have gotten at the Republican establishment.

Until that happens - you're in serious danger of eating your own tail because of the things that Cabinetman talked about.

All that being said - the nitwits at RedAss group need to be told to STFU - they're not helping.

Then you are going to have to see GOAL start insuring gun clubs.

My understanding is they need the NRA membership for insurance purposes.

The NRA's club insurance isn't even that good of a deal if you shop around. I think a lot of clubs are 100% NRA more because "that's how it's always been" than for any actual benefit.

From doing some reading in the past I found that no club has to be 100% NRA in order to get club insurance. NRA makes a commission on each policy sold and they are "all about the money" so they aren't going to kill that off just because a club isn't 100% NRA.

It is a common belief that you must be 100% NRA to apply and perhaps that was true at one time. No, I can't put my finger on this lack of a requirement but suspect anyone could find it by searching thru the NRA Insurance website.

True that they aren't the cheapest/best deal in town. BR&P did some extensive research on coverage vs. cost and chose an alternate insurer for the club, allegedly saving significant money . . . I recall the discussion at a meeting some years ago. Most clubs just continue chugging along as they have always done.

I've got an idea. Do any gun stores offer a discount for GOAL membership? How about instead of a cash discount, a 5% GOAL discount on guns, and 15% on accessories?

I bet that would significantly improve membership, and help move some of the inventory that seems to hang around forever.

And for, say stores on either side of the NH border, it could be a discount for membership in either GOAL or GONH.

And of course the incentive for the gun stores is better gun laws, which leads to more gun owners.......to buy more guns.

The discount idea is a good one but dealers will refuse anything that costs them even $1.

Honestly if GOAL could sneak a pamphlet into each gun purchase that alone would be huge.....the stupid NRA pamphlets actually work, so you gotta imagine a short "educational" pamphlet from GOAL would go a long way.

many gun owners are on the fringe of the gun world....all they care about is there one or two guns, so its hard to get their attention unless its in front of their face...this ks why NRA puts the stupid pamplet in each gun box.

listing a few basic stats about gun laws in MA and how rights are on the brink of being fully denied....that would undoubtedly increase GOALs membership within MA.

The discount idea is a good one but dealers will refuse anything that costs them even $1.

Honestly if GOAL could sneak a pamphlet into each gun purchase that alone would be huge.....the stupid NRA pamphlets actually work, so you gotta imagine a short "educational" pamphlet from GOAL would go a long way.

many gun owners are on the fringe of the gun world....all they care about is there one or two guns, so its hard to get their attention unless its in front of their face...this ks why NRA puts the stupid pamplet in each gun box.

listing a few basic stats about gun laws in MA and how rights are on the brink of being fully denied....that would undoubtedly increase GOALs membership within MA.

there's a bunch of extra issues of GOAL News Print Edition in the office, if anyone wants to stop by, pick up some copies to distribute and drop them off at coffee shops the barber etc... it always helps. We need to reach out beyond the gun shops.

I think GOAL did a great job. Although we shouls not have to bargain for our Constitutional Rights, it could have been much much worse. After all this is Assachusetts! We could be swimming with the sharks right now but they got rid of a lot of bad shit. And to make myself clear, that commercial they show about the 1 gun a month makes me sick. I want to hurl every time it airs!

Fired from my HTC One with high capacity storage

there's a bunch of extra issues of GOAL News Print Edition in the office, if anyone wants to stop by, pick up some copies to distribute and drop them off at coffee shops the barber etc... it always helps. We need to reach out beyond the gun shops.

Doctor's offices
Dentist's offices
Barbers
Tire shops
Muffler shops
Kids' things (karate or dance class waiting areas)
Anywhere else there is a waiting area
Sportsman's Clubs!!!!!

-do not belong to a club

on and on....
Can GOAL get a list from the NRA of all the NRA members in MA?

Ya wanna blow a gasket trying to get your head around something absolutely crazy? Here ya go.

http://democratsforgunownership.org/

I stand corrected.

Rome
http://democratsforgunownership.org/our-rights/

Their charter resonates more with me than the NRA. I disagree with the statement about assembling a Militia to protect the state from oppression. This is typical Statist crap. The militia is meant to protect the People from Oppression by the State.
I despise when leftwing Statists argue that the militia is not necessary because we have a democracy and a military. Idiots.

Is this just this month, or a regular occurrance?

I did that with It's Time stickers back before all of my free time disappeared. I could just as easily do it with GOAL papers.

Ya wanna blow a gasket trying to get your head around something absolutely crazy?

there is a LOT of mind blowing stuff out there. I just saw a TV ad where her primary opponent is calling Marth Coakley "soft on gun control" because she is not supporting a one-gun-a-month law. jeez, go figure, Martha Coakley as a defender of our gun rights! [rofl]

Last edited:
Ya wanna blow a gasket trying to get your head around something absolutely crazy? Here ya go.

http://democratsforgunownership.org/

I stand corrected.

Rome
I don't find this any crazier than all of the Jewish groups and synagogues that are pro control

- - - Updated - - -

Can GOAL get a list from the NRA of all the NRA members in MA?

No, and the NRA does their own mailings, usually with info that's a day behind GOAL's. The NRA is far more interested in helping themselves than helping GOAL.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this just this month, or a regular occurrance?

I did that with It's Time stickers back before all of my free time disappeared. I could just as easily do it with GOAL papers.

Yes, there are almost always extra copies in the lobby of the gun lobby lol. If you want, call ahead to make sure.

Thanks

Yes, there are almost always extra copies in the lobby of the gun lobby lol. If you want, call ahead to make sure.

Does GOAL have a simple, one page trifold brochure? When I went to Precision Point Firearms a while ago to get a trigger job for my M&P9, John asked me if I was familiar with Comm2A. I said not really, and he handed me their brochure. That got me interested and wanting to learn more, and now I'm set for automatic monthly donation.
http://www.comm2a.org/images/Resources/Trifold_2012.pdf

The gun stores I've been to here are typically jam packed. A stack of brochures takes up a lot less space than a bunch of papers, and I think would be much easier to ask dealers to give away with every firearm purchase.

Last edited:
I don't find this any crazier than all of the Jewish groups and synagogues that are pro control

No, and the NRA does their own mailings, usually with info that's a day behind GOAL's. The NRA is far more interested in helping themselves to our money than helping GOAL.

Mike, there is a "heritage" thing about "going along to get along" and hope you don't get thrown out of a country (again) . . . it goes back 5000 years. Jews (as a demographic) are used to being told what to do by gov't and hoping for the best (it's never worked out, definition of insanity!). I have no idea at all how to break that mold, I've tried to no avail. So I've just given up on my Jewish family/friends and just go it alone. We'll cure cancer and AIDS long before we figure this one out.

Mike, I fixed your NRA statement for you! [thinking]

Does GOAL have a simple, one page trifold brochure? When I went to Precision Point Firearms a while ago to get a trigger job for my M&P9, John asked me if I was familiar with Comm2A. I said not really, and he handed me their brochure. That got me interested and wanting to learn more, and now I'm set for automatic monthly donation.
http://www.comm2a.org/images/Resources/Trifold_2012.pdf

The gun stores I've been to here are typically jam packed. A stack of brochures takes up a lot less space than a bunch of papers, and I think would be much easier to ask dealers to give away with every firearm purchase.

Business cards would be good too.

I would like to get some more Comm2A tri-folds and business cards. Would you guys at Comm2A send me some, or do you have any recommendations for where I can get them printed myself?
Alternatively, I'd like to suggest that you consider putting tri-fold and business card packs for sale on your website.

Business cards would be good too.

Meh, how much info can you put on a business card? If a dealer is going to give something away with purchases, I think a brochure would be most effective. It should be designed to make the case to people that have never even heard of GOAL.

Back
Top Bottom