GOAL no longer need storage permit for more than 999 primers - but...

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
But the question I have is if you read the CMR it says ammo shall be stored in original containers, doesn't that sort of say if you reload you cannot "legally" store your ammo? Or is you buy a bunch and put it into ammo cans out of the box that is also illegal.

"Massachusetts residents that are at least 18 years of age and possess an LTC or FID can store 9,999 primers. A duly licensed resident is no longer required to pay for the "powder storage permit" to lawfully store more than 999 primers. We are reminded that ammunition, propellants, powders and primers "shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use".

My understanding is (INAL BTW ) if you'r the manufacturer, the container you put it in upon completion is the original container. With that being said when I'm only doing 300-400 I use the blue 50 count caliber specific boxes from Midway or Dillion. But when I make 1000 or more a .30 or .50 cal. ammo can is where they go.

But the question I have is if you read the CMR it says ammo shall be stored in original containers, doesn't that sort of say if you reload you cannot "legally" store your ammo? Or is you buy a bunch and put it into ammo cans out of the box that is also illegal.

"Massachusetts residents that are at least 18 years of age and possess an LTC or FID can store 9,999 primers. A duly licensed resident is no longer required to pay for the "powder storage permit" to lawfully store more than 999 primers. We are reminded that ammunition, propellants, powders and primers "shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use".
my understanding on reloads is you made the final product so whatever you put it in is the original container. factory ammo and components are supposed to be in the original container. But......yeah......I have lots of hunting ammo that I have lost the original boxes for because after a few times of being used.....ammo taken out to put in my vest then back into the box a few times the box gets torn up......those I keep in an ammo can. If the po po wants to ping me on those 30-50 loose rounds I welcome the challenge in court!

So you need a license (no storage permits) for >10,000 primers but do need a permit for >16 pounds of smokeless powder?

FROM GOALS web page........MA Ammo and Component Storage Regulations
A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There's a twist... Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

"cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun"
In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

Massachusetts residents that are at least 18 years of age and possess an LTC or FID can store 9,999 primers. A duly licensed resident is no longer required to pay for the "powder storage permit" to lawfully store more than 999 primers. We are reminded that ammunition, propellants, powders and primers "shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use".

Click here for storage information

So, if you buy in bulk, and you get a box of 1,000 rounds basically freely packed in a plastic sack, can you empty that sack into an ammo can, or do you need to keep them in the sack inside the ammo can? :emoji_thinking:

So...does the “stored in original package” part of the law prohibit keeping a loaded pistol in a bedside safe?

From what I see here, this is NFPA and not the CMR, so my guess is that the CMR still rules for now. I'll query my fire chief next week on this.

Take the "original containers" seriously for powder.

I am familiar with a case where a regular user of a local range stored power in non-original containers, and also had drywall screws in non-original containers. He argued drywall screws are commonly used for setting up range props, which is why they were thusly stored and that the powder was for reloading. The persecution argued his repackaged powder was bombs, and the drywall screws were so he could add shrapnel. He lost and did time.

I use sandwich size zip lock bags. I’m the manufacturer and this is my version of original container. Mostly reload 9mm and can easily get 250 in a bag. I have lots of blue Dillon 100 round boxes and ammo cans, but zip lock bags are so handy and quicker.

AKA the regs pretty much nobody obeys.... and will continue to ignore for the forseeable future, lmao
True, but it could cause an insurance issue if your house were to burn, whatever the cause.

The 1000 primer limit was ridiculous. Anyone who reloads usually reloads more than 1 caliber and primers are sold in 1K boxes. I'm glad to see "sensible" reloading safety laws.

I'm not sure, but I think the "original container" is so you don't mix up standard and magnum primers, which could lead to safety problems.

Take the "original containers" seriously for powder.

I am familiar with a case where a regular user of a local range stored power in non-original containers, and also had drywall screws in non-original containers. He argued drywall screws are commonly used for setting up range props, which is why they were thusly stored and that the powder was for reloading. The persecution argued his repackaged powder was bombs, and the drywall screws were so he could add shrapnel. He lost and did time.

I agree with powder in original containers but also primers, first it is easier to store primers in original, and you won't mix up either

Back
Top Bottom